Anybody doing the "no wheat diet"

Options
Just finished reading the book Wheat Belly. Very interesting views on wheat as a cause of all evil in the body. It's pretty much a low carb diet which I'm sure works great as most of us probably eat too much carb and lots of process food. Would like to know if anyone had great result from eliminating wheat from their diet. Thanks

Replies

• OhKelsey1
    Options
    Tried. Failed. I haven't really restricted myself like crazy up until now, and when I tried to drop wheat/gluten completely, I found myself slipping up and feeling guilty ALL THE TIME. I pay a lot more attention to gluten now than I did before, because I do think we eat too much of it and it's shoved into too many foods without consumers knowing it. But giving it up completely? That was just not sustainable for me.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am on a gluten free diet as a result of Celiac disease. I would not advocate it to anyone who does not have a diagnosis of Celiac, non-Celiac gluten intolerance, or wheat/gluten allergy. It is a very challenging diet to follow. There is no way I would have been able to handle it if I did not have a serious medical condition. And many of the carbohydrates you are left with are less nutritious and complex. Gluten free "replacement" foods in particular are notorious for their starchiness, and most of them are 4x as expensive as whole wheat equivalents, and not as tasty (crumbly, "beany" flavor, etc).

I do a "lower carb" type of diet which I find helpful since I also have reactive hypoglycemia. The energy crashes from the smaller amount of carbs I do eat are much more manageable when I eat a higher amount of protein and fat. This, I think, is good, and not super hard to do, even with the dietary restrictions I already have.

I did not lose any weight by going gluten free, nor did I eliminate my belly. Crunches and healthy low calorie eating seem to help, though.

Enjoy wheat! If you are concerned about it's influence being too broad, try to limit it a little and eat more whole wheat, avoiding partial wheat products like white flour and seitan (some people believe that overconsumption of these broken apart products can lead to conditions like mine -- I dunno if I believe that, but I definitely ate a lot of very high gluten foods prior to my diagnosis, because I was vegan and I love fake meat).

I also recommend trying to incorporate more quinoa, which tastes great and is a superfood. You can get it as a whole grain or in pasta form. The whole grain is great, it's kind of like bulgar or couscous, little grains of stuff that you can make a grain salad with. Nice for summer. :)
  • karagetsfit
    Options
    I do not eat wheat. It is not my friend.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I am on a gluten free diet as a result of Celiac disease. I would not advocate it to anyone who does not have a diagnosis of Celiac, non-Celiac gluten intolerance, or wheat/gluten allergy. It is a very challenging diet to follow. There is no way I would have been able to handle it if I did not have a serious medical condition. And many of the carbohydrates you are left with are less nutritious and complex. Gluten free "replacement" foods in particular are notorious for their starchiness, and most of them are 4x as expensive as whole wheat equivalents, and not as tasty (crumbly, "beany" flavor, etc).

^This, except I'm not Celiac, I'm just sensitive/intolerant. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't have to. I was losing weight before I went gluten-free, and cutting it out finally just gave me my normal energy levels back, and I was no longer in constant pain and continuously sick.

Unless you suspect a medical problem, there's no problem with enjoying wheat products in moderation.
  • lealou13
    lealou13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my only way to stay healthy. Its been a lifestyle. Not as hard as it sounds.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I've did the no wheat thing for about 3 weeks, and didn't notice a huge weight loss or anything but I did notice that my sugar/carb cravings went down a lot
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I read Wheat Belly followed by the Primal Blueprint. Last September I decided to experiment. I quit eating all grains. After a few months I decided to have a cheat and ate a bowl of pasta... lets just say the results were unpleasant...tummy pain was only the start. I believe I have a gluten intolerance. I can eat rice or corn without a problem but I try to limit it as any grains seem to bloat me up like a balloon! I avoid processed foods including gluten free breads, pancakes, cookies etc.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do it. I lost a "pregnant" looking belly almost immediately. Dropped 5 pounds 1st week, 3 more 2nd week, after that, returned to normal 2 pounds a week weight loss. But, it worked because it appears I have a wheat/gluten intolerance. I also had issues with my stools. It isn't as hard as some make it out to be. If you want to hear more about it.. check out the gluten free forum on here.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you are NEVER again going to eat wheat, thats fine, but this program is all about You adjusing your eating to something that will help you lose weight and keep it off. I've been on several of those DIETS, that work and once you go off of them the weight comes back on.
    Whole grain adds fiber that keeps everything working

Basil
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've never done the "no wheat diet" but I did do Atkins quite a few years ago. I lost 60lbs which was fabulous and I felt great too but even that great feeling couldn't keep me away from the carbs!!!! I gained 30lbs in about a year after I stopped following the diet and I imagine it would be roughly the same with the "no wheat diet". I still apply many of the principles today (I won't eat an entire meal of just carbs!! whoops!) and I try to eat as many unprocessed items as possible, but I just find it impossible to stick to!

Good luck!!
  • donnsi
    Options
    I have been eating gluten-free for over a year now after I was diagnosed as "gluten sensitive". I lost about 10 pounds when I first started eating gluten-free, but then plateaued. I have significantly less bloating and find it easier to maintain my weight. It does help me stay away from simple carbs in particular as I pass on cake, cookies, breads, pizza, etc.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I quit wheat months ago, I read the Wheat Belly book too.

Don't miss it, less bloat, less cravings.

It's probably helped drop some weight too, dunno, I'm not really focused on the scales right now.

I suspect that there are a lot of undiagnosed issues with wheat out there that people are just living with.

But, hey, everyone to their own.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've been mostly wheat-free for well over 10 years. I say mostly, because I'm sure it sneaks in at restaurants and what not. I could also be a little more stringent with avoiding things like maltodextrin.

There's a difference between full-blown Celiac and a sensitivity. Both are miserable if you're not good with completely overhauling your diet. If you're good with change, it's not that bad. If you think it'll help, give it a go for a few weeks and see how you feel. Not everyone has problems with wheat. Those who do notice that eliminating it from the diet vastly improves things like seasonal allergies, animal allergies, and other food sensitivities. It also reduces the "food baby" bloat that often accompanies a sensitivity or allergy to wheat.

Be warned. It's a royal pain in the *kitten* because so many things have wheat in them. Soy sauce, licorice, any baked good someone brings into work, soft taco shells, most veggie burgers and even store bought gravy powder. It makes dining out a chore sometimes and forget about going to other people's houses for dinner. Be warned that a lot of folks who hears about your changes will try to offer you whole wheat because of the perceived notion that it's somehow healthier, if you do in fact have a sensitivity to wheat. ;)

Feel free to add or PM me if I could be of any help.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be starting an elimination diet due to GI issues, so I will be cutting it out, but it is definitely not necessary if you are metabolically normal with no sensitivity or intolerance.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If you are NEVER again going to eat wheat, thats fine, but this program is all about You adjusing your eating to something that will help you lose weight and keep it off. I've been on several of those DIETS, that work and once you go off of them the weight comes back on.
    Whole grain adds fiber that keeps everything working

Basil

If you believe that whole grains are good for you AND that they are the best source of fiber.

I don't eat wheat or grains because I don't think they are good for my health, not just because I am on some transitory 'diet' and want to drop some fat.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    The difference in my belly after only 3 days of going Gluten free. The red sports bra is the b4 Gluten free pic, they're not in order.
    glutenfree-1-1.png
    Finally got the things resized to fit..grr
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    With all the different things becoming bad for you, pretty soon the only thing we're going to have left to eat is soylent green. On a side note, it is a good source of protein, given the 'secret ingredient'.