Anyone in their 40's just starting out?

Options
Do you feel like you can be successful in losing weight and getting fit and toned? Sometimes I feel like I'm "too old" not necessarily to lose the weight, but to get fit and toned and lose the belly..

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I turn 50 soon - started 6 months ago and have had no problem losing weight and getting back into shape. Age is not an excuse. Sure it's not as easy as it was in your 20's, but it's do-able if you give it a good effort and stick to it.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I'm not too old! Neither are you! :bigsmile:

Why would you think that you're too old?
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I started my journey June 18th of this year, a week before in turned 43. And so far i feel great..............much better than i've felt even in my 30's. So in my opinion..................you're NEVER too old!
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Not impossible, but I also find it more difficult than when I was young, less stressed, not on thyroid medication, or nursing a baby!
  • Dsnyfrk921
    Dsnyfrk921 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 in June. Since the end of June, I've lost 20lbs and am working out 5-6 days per week.

Age is just a number. We can do this! Feel free to add me as a friend and I will support you all the way
    to the finish line! :)
  • emjay126
    Options
    I'm early 50s. I started after a health "wake-up call" in April - and I'm down 42 lbs so far. The key is to get off the couch and get moving. The older you get, the slower it comes off - unless you move.
  • ohDeeDeeBehave
    ohDeeDeeBehave Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Tazzi,

I'm 46 and just starting out. Like you, I'm want to tone up , lose my belly and get my sexy back......that plus lower my blood pressure and kick start my metabolism. I do feel afraid that it's harder to lose because I'm beginning to go through the change.....at least I think I am. None-the-less, I know this can be done. I'm tenacious as hell, and refuse to give up.

I have been on here about a week. Want to friend up? We can motivate each other. :smile:

Dee
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I started working out in earnest last November (used to do cardio a couple of days a week, walk the dog, and that was about it) with the specter of turning 50 at the end this month and I feel awesome! It's taken longer than when I was younger (like your age :wink: ), but no matter. I'm now trim and fit and just getting fitter! You can totally do this!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Look at my pics. I'm 40. You're never too old!
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and started out about a year ago pulling myself together. I am down 50 pounds. I just joined MFP about two weeks ago. I try to exercise about 6 days a week and I def don't think we are too old!!!
  • itsjilly
    Options
    I will be 41 in a few weeks! I am just starting out! 2 weeks in and I am down 10.5 lbs and a few inches!

I want to be around for my son, and if not now, it will be never!

I have been heavy all my life, and today we went for a 2 hour hike and I feel great! Going to jump on the elliptical now!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Look at my pics. I'm 40. You're never too old!

You look great!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yes: I'll be 47 in 3 weeks. I lost 100 lbs. and 24% body fat in 6 months.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, and really LOVING going from fat to FIT!
    And slimming off that yucky flab.
    Bye-bye flab!
    And it is leaving.
    The weight lifting has really shown it the door.
    You're going to love it.

By the way,I've had 5 babies.

See you later....I've got to go get on my bike for an evening ride!:happy:
  • Shadow1954
    Shadow1954 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and started training last November. I'm down 56 pounds total and joined MFP because I had stalled in my weight loss. Since then I've dropped 10 pounds and two weeks ago I road my mountain bike to the top of Mount Evans 14,000+ Feet. If anything, I'm in better shape now then I was in my 30's. Start slow and before you know it you'll feel great.
  • waterlover11
    waterlover11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and restarted weight loss after years of slowly gainin. I lost 103 lbs from my highest, but I'd been having trouble the last couple years and gaining. I don't have a thyroid due to cancer, but adding some resistance training and writing my food down brought 2 lbs at least a week. What is nice is that you lose some weight and then really feel like moving, eating healthier stuff, etc. But most of all, have a passionate motivation, as it makes the difference I think. I became truly worried about getting older and being stopped from so many activities and even from living, due to extra weight and poor fitness overall.
    I am starting a new career, to avoid retiring in our camper, and along with not fitting into airplane seats, theater seats, having my stomach sit on my lap, on and on, I was finally ready.
    Make it easier on yourself: I avoid cooking shows, shopping at high risk times at the grocery store, just plain sitting too much (just walk in place during commercials), drink a tall glass of water about 20 minutes before food, eat nothing 2 hours before bedtime but mostly realize it is sometimes jus the first couple days that the hardest. Then you feel better..AND GET foods out of the houe that are difficult. No exceptions. If your kids or partner, if applicable, don't get it, just ask clearly and have them get their treats out of the house and simply respond to your clear cut request.

Anyway, after losing some weight, it will feel so good that you'll want to keep going and maintain the success you have.
    Sorry for going on so long!! Writing my food in MyFitnessPal has been a bit time consuming but really surprised me in what I had been eating.
    best of luck and let us know about your journey to your goal. No need to diet again, as every step EVEN NOW should be doing things you can do for the rest of your life. I highly recommend that be your rule of thumb. And some say even have a cheat meal during the week, no guilt.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, lost 2 stone (28lbs) since January 2010 with one more to go. I've been on here since August 2012 to help me lose one more stone (14lbs). I took up running 4 years ago, which I never did before and have run 5x 5K races. I start back Tae Kwon Do tomorrow because I want to get back to how I was when I first met my husband. I am well on my way to getting back there and so is my husband. He used to be an athlete and put on around 42lbs since us being married. He now wants to take up boxing. You are never too old and don't let anyone tell you that either.
    :flowerforyou:
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Hi ,

I am 45 yrs ...and i dont think its impossable to achieve the body or fitness level you desire i think it may just take a little more effort and time that it may have years ago. I feel like my knees have aged more than anything. I have lost 38lbs so far since end of may this year and it has not been easy. I am now at a plateau.

I do however have much more energy since losing the weight. Now if i could only move like some of the women in my Zumba class lol. I have my own version of sexy when im there lol. I have more energy and stamina than some of the younger ones even.

Dont give up just because of your age. Its never too late to start taking care of yourself . I'm ok that i will never be what i once was or do what i used to . Make the effort and celebrate every new thing you can do :)

Feel free to add me if you like....we can motivate each other. Always looking for new friends for motivation and support.
  • Pamelalalala
    Pamelalalala Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 on July 19, and I started this the following week.....lost 9 pounds so far- and inch off my waist and off my hips, and 1/2 inch off my neck (not sure why they want you to measure neck, but i did).
    Keeping track really helps....and sometimes you will have a "bad" week or a "bad" day and go over calories, but you can get right back on track....
    Good luck!
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you can be successful in losing weight and getting fit and toned? Sometimes I feel like I'm "too old" not necessarily to lose the weight, but to get fit and toned and lose the belly..

I just turned 40 in July and feel that losing weight and getting fit and toned is TOTALLY possible! I joined the gym last December but wasn't really taking it seriously. Just as I started seriously taking classes at my gym, my Dr suggested this site and when I really started paying attention to what I was eating and the calories that I was burning I got excited and motivated. I am now noticing my weight loss (and it's staying off) AND that my muscles are getting toned. It's an awesome feeling and it's making me stay focused. I love it :happy:

You are NEVER too old to get in shape. You can do it :bigsmile: