Protein sources?

Suggestions for high protein (and low carb) sources/snacks?
Preferably with low calories and low sodium too.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    hard boiled egg.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Swiss cheese.

Tuna.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    My dad just bought me a container of Pure Protein Vanilla powder - mix it with a cup of skim milk for a 160-calorie virtually carb free high calcium/protein snack (22 g protein, 32+ of calcium)!

He also bought me some kids' clif bars with 130 calories, 24g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g protein, and 20% calcium. :)

Other protein bars would be Quaker Cinnamon & Pecan Bread, Pure Protein High Protein bars (with 20g protein for 180 cals), Oats N Honey bars, etc.

Don't forget the chicken! 4 oz grilled chicken will get you 28g protein for ~115 calories, depending on the type.

I had to ask the same question not a week ago and have gotten some great responses! Good luck to you :)
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Thank you both of you! I just realised after getting more familiar with MFP that I never get enough protein and get too much Fat and Carbs.. oh wells. I have already cut/reduced rice/pasta etc.

Thanks again.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    My dad just bought me a container of Pure Protein Vanilla powder - mix it with a cup of skim milk for a 160-calorie virtually carb free high calcium/protein snack (22 g protein, 32+ of calcium)!

He also bought me some kids' clif bars with 130 calories, 24g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g protein, and 20% calcium. :)

Other protein bars would be Quaker Cinnamon & Pecan Bread, Pure Protein High Protein bars (with 20g protein for 180 cals), Oats N Honey bars, etc.

Don't forget the chicken! 4 oz grilled chicken will get you 28g protein for ~115 calories, depending on the type.

I had to ask the same question not a week ago and have gotten some great responses! Good luck to you :)

I have been looking into protein powders too. Just wasn't sure which one. Will definitely look more into this :)
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member

I have been looking into protein powders too. Just wasn't sure which one. Will definitely look more into this :)

We spent a good while the other day shopping about for the best source of protein for the lowest calorie expenditure and Pure Protein (Show Me The Whey is what I got) seems to have the best ratios. But to each their own, and don't forget to shop for good tastes! :) Good luck to you!
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Other sources of protein that are not high in sodium include:

- Plain Greek yogurt (I eat Fage 0% plain)
    - Parmesan cheese (the block, not the shredded, ready-packaged versions)
    - Beans
    - Pumpkin seeds
    - Lentils
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    ground turkey patties & quinoa
  • cottage cheese
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Lightly salted dry roasted edamame by Seapoint Farms. 1/4 cup has only 4g fat, 150mg sodium, 10g of carb but 8g dietary fiber so only net 2g carb, 14g protein, 130 calories

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Seapoint-Farms-Roasted-Edamame-Lightly/dp/B000G2UUOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346716272&sr=8-1&keywords=lightly+salted+dry+roasted+edamame+seapointe+farm
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Part Skim Mozzarella string cheese.

Tuna

Egg Whites

Protein Powder
  • Pastrami wrapped around whole pickled gherkins works for me ........
  • bump
  • Grilled chicken is almost entirely protein
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Boar's Head Chipolte Chicken is one of my favorites along with jalapeno mozzarella cheese sticks (I like spicy things).
  • Bump
  • 1-0% milk fat cottage cheese. I like friendship's brand because it has 13 g of protein per serving and has less sugar than other cottage cheeses I've had before!
  • What are some good protein sources for vegetarians? I'm on the cross country team and I'm only getting roughly 10-20grams when after my workouts MFP is saying I should receive over 200! Any suggestions for High Protein-Low cal snacks?
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    As someone trying to eat mostly vegetarian, almost vegan, I use the following:

-greek yogurt (plain, mixed with fruit of my choice, usually in a smoothie) Obviously this is dairy, but that's it for me and dairy most of the time.
    -PB2 (powdered peanut butter, lower in fat than the real stuff)
    -quinoa
    -beans (black, kidney, etc.)
    -protein powder (I like truestrength vanilla...no soy, gluten, or dairy)
    -LOTS of greens (it is surprising how much protein is in some greens like kale and spinach)
    -nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (just watch the fat intake and try to get unsalted)

I do also eat skinless boneless chicken breast and fish, b/c sometimes I just really want some animal protein!!
  • Protein shakes a great way to fill up between meals. Don't get ones that are too lean as they will leave you wanting more and you'll eat that snack you were trying to avoid anyway!