Recommended Exercise for someone who isn't very active?

Options
Growing up I was never a very active kid. I hated sports mainly because of the competition. In my teen years that turned into inactivity/hatred for going to the gym/working out etc. I love yoga, but I'm unsure of what the weight loss benefits of that are.

For someone who basically loathes exercising, but sees the need to, what kind of exercises would you recommend? I know this might sound like a noobish post, but just looking for somewhere to start where I won't be overwhelmed to the point where I'll give in within a week.

Thanks! Feel free to add/message me.

Replies

• PisceanDream224
    Options
    Is there anything that you would be interested in trying? Do you like swimming? Or Tennis? Do you own a bike? Whatever you think would be interesting is what I really recommend you try. If you don't like it, try something else. :) There is Yoga (which is a good place to start) ~~~ www.doyogawithme.com ~~~ or even getting a couple of pairs of dumbbells and learning how to weight train. Pilates is good, too. Maybe even trying the Couch to 5k program that focuses on conditioning your body for running/jogging.
    ~~~ www.coolrunning.com ~~~ Maybe even dancing! If you have a Wii or Xbox or even a Playstation, check out the games they have out there for exercise. There are so many out there it will be easy for you to pick from.

Whatever you decide to do, you should enjoy it. It won't hurt to try! :)
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wii fit is a fun way to start exercising. Also walking. I started by just going for a short walk every morning. I then started going swimming three or four times a week. I joined a gym with a pool as it worked out much cheaper than using my local swimming pool. As I was going to the gym anyway I plucked up the courage to use a few machines! I paid for a couple of sessions with a trainer to get an idea of the best exercises to do to lose weight. I enjoyed ( yes enjoyed!) the sessions that much I have continued with a trainer. I hated sport at school and have not exercised for years. But I started exercising and it is true what they say. It really does make you feel good.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    WII GAMES ARE FUN

SWIMMING AND WATER AEROBICS ARE GREAT
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    sorry to say..but to be healthy u have to be active and that means doing something. if ur really lazy u cld go to one of those places that have the exercise beds and lay there and let the machine do the work..lol... other than that i would say hit the pool.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love swimming on days when I know that I need to work out, but I don't want to feel sore the next day, and there are a lot of things to do in a pool besides swimming laps. Water Aerobics are pretty fun and water running will get you out of breath super fast.
  • Alast
    Alast Posts: 33
    Options
    As far as I know Yoga is a great way to start. It's easy on your angles, but, depending on how seriously you do it, not so easy on your muscles ;) So go for it, if you like it!

For me my favorite exercise method is riding my bike. I can go with it as fast as I want as long as I want... or am able to :D No competition, which should serve you. And the scenery changes more quickly than when you are running. So I find it more interesting. It's also better for my knees :) So find an interesting spot, you'd like to discover or a great track to ride along, take your bike and ride.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Walking, Swimming, skipping (with a rope) - None of these tend to be competitive and can be done alone although I tend to walk with friends and catch up :) It really doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it - Good luck
  • steven_goldilocks
    Options
    I had a quick look at your profile and saw that you're studying photography, so I'd say get out somewhere - around town, into the country, whatever - and walk a lot while you take photographs. Use Google to find nearby places that look like they might be filled with interesting things and/or people to take pictures of. I know from photographer friends that you often find the really interesting subjects and happy accidents by just getting out there off the beaten track. You'll be surprised how far you can walk when you're also doing something else that interests you. And walking is a good foundation from which to build other exercises.

I also have a vague memory of something I read somewhere, a while ago, about a group of photographers who made an agreement that once a week they would each set out from their individual homes and walk in the same direction (West, for example) for a certain amount of time taking photographs as they went. Then they'd share their photographs on a flickr stream. Sounds like a good way to build up low impact exercise and look anew at the world around you all rolled into one.

S.