Conference food

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm off to a week long conference for work next week and it's got me thinking: how should I manage my diet there. I know the hotel will have a basic weights room and probably bike/treadmill and a pool, so I can do some basic exercise there but not to my usual levels since its unfamiliar gear and I won't have my gym buddy/PT pushing me.

But diet is the problem. Hotel buffet breakfasts, conferences usually serve muffins and pastries on the breaks plus I'll be restaurant eating most nights. My room will have a small mini-bar fridge and no cooking facilities besides boiling water in the kettle.

Are there any other regular business travellers than can offer advice?

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Pack some instant oatmeal (go weight control or low sugar), cereal, protein powder, protein bars, nuts. If possible cut and pack some raw veggies. You can store veggies, greek yogurt, milk, hummus in the room fridge. Use this to substitute or supplement the hotel breakfast and conference lunch/snacks. I have discovered that most hotel breakfasts have hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and fruit available. Stay away from the pastries! For dinner, order lean meats and veggies from the menu; salads are pretty safe if you avoid a lot of the extras (cheese, bacon, high fat dressing).
    Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Most hotels will offer oatmeal and yogurt along with the pastries, and some even have omelet stations and/or scrambled eggs. For snacks, pack some protein bars, jerky, veggies and fruit to eat during breaks. Take a small cooler with bottled water, yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, fruit and veggies to have in your room.

Most restaurants have low cal choices - get a small steak or chicken breast with a salad and a side of veggies if you are in doubt of anything else on the menu. A small baked potato by itself is only about 110 calories - add another 30 for a dollop of sour cream and 35 for a pat of real butter, and that's not too bad for a side. Avoid the fancy salads and "gourmet" hamburgers - those can be hidden calorie bombs.