getting healthy/losing weight on a BUDGET

Options
Hey everyone! I am bound and determined to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle, but it is EXPENSIVE!!! Any tips and tricks for eating well on a budget? And I mean a budget, like $100-$150 a month. ;-) I know you can't put a price tag on your health and life, but I am looking for budget friendly recipes that I can cook ahead of time/freeze. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You can always buy in bulk if you have the space to store it. Big packs of chicken breast and fish filets would be the best per pound price.

Canned vegetables are the cheapest way to go along with canned tuna, chicken breast and fruit. No fancy fruit cups, just a big can of peaches and stored in a tupperware after you open.

If you like popcorn, a big plain bag of kernels are the best way to go and rice is the same way.

Then all of your essentials. Skim milk is cheapest, buying eggs in bulk is cheap and you can eat them for any meal, bricked cheese is cheaper then slices or shreaded when you can do that your self and margarine is cheapest in the stick.

One thing I almost never skimp on is my bread. I love Natures own whole grain for 50 calories a slice but at almost 4 dollars it's about double the price of cheap bread.

So there's a few things I do to save money but this is all based on preference. I'm not a complete stickler for only non processed foods so it depends on what you like to eat, what you want to eat and where that meets with your money.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    no, it`s not expensive.... it`s far cheaper than eating out in fact.

olive oil, whey, beef, bread, chicken, pasta, rice, potatoes, bananas, fish, nuts, milk can all be bought in bulk and very cheaply. make these and other bulk whole foods your diet staples and it will take you a long ways for far less than you would spend eating out.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Eat more plant based foods. Beans (when you buy dry and cook your own) are really cheap and a great source of protein and fibre. Then buy things like brown rice and rolled oats in bulk. Vegetables like carrots and cabbage tend to be very cheap as well.

Meals like curries, chilli and veggie stew are good for cooking a big batch and freezing.