Keeping abs contracted while lifting weights

Options
So I've actively been doing cardio (mostly stationary rowing) for a few months, with successful weight loss, but strength is my ultimate goal. I started weights this weekend (small weights, light reps) and I feel like between the books I have, examples on YouTube, and a little work at the gym that I understand the forms pretty well. But I'm having a really hard time keeping my abdominals contracted. I get that I'm supposed to be doing it and why, but I wonder if I'm doing it wrong? Should it be this hard to keep them contracted while I'm focusing on other aspects of lifting form? Is it just because I'm starting out and those muscles are weak?

Replies

• provin1327
    Options
    Honestly, don't focus on tightening your abs when doing other movements, just focus on the muscle that you are training and the abs will do their own work. Trust me your abs are being worked even if you don't focus on them. I would only focus on your abs when doing abs specific movements like crunches, leg raises, etc
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    Thanks! That a relief. I can manage it sometimes, but it seems impossible to concentrate on when trying to do lunges, or anything really, where I'm concerned about proper form.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't focus on tightening your abs when doing other movements, just focus on the muscle that you are training and the abs will do their own work. Trust me your abs are being worked even if you don't focus on them. I would only focus on your abs when doing abs specific movements like crunches, leg raises, etc
    um no... abs must be engaged when doing any lift where your core is being used even as an accessory. The big 3 for example, To not do so means the forces will be placed upon lower back to support the load rather than the entire core region.

Look at any person squatting heavy, there is a reason they do NOT exhale until well out of the pocket. To exhale means you release your abs slightly, allowing less core support and more back strain for the load. This is bad for very obvious reasons.

For a very easy and proper way to test your abs being engaged, simply punch yourself in the stomach. if engaged, shouldn`t feel a thing. another less violent test is to do planks. abs tightened means no lower back stress. as you feel your abs give out, you will feel lower back tighten and feel more pressure.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm another who thinks it's important to keep your abs actively engaged during strength training. It will make your lifts stronger and safer.

You just started this weekend, if I read that right? Not strange that it's hard to keep everything in mind at once for something new to you. Keep practicing, go slow and be patient with yourself, and it'll all become more automatic.
  • provin1327
    Options
    To actually FOCUS on keeping your abs tight is much different than supporting your back and keeping good form on big lifts like squat, deadlift, bench, etc. Your abs will work on the OWN to support your spine, that's what they're there for. There is no way in hell you can do a lunge, squat, deadlift, bench press, or heck even standing curls for that matter, where your abs aren't engaging in the movement. OP, try it out for yourself. Do some lunges, or whatever lift you are doing, and feel your abs, or have someone press them. During your lift you will notice they will tighten. And yes since you have only been lifting for a very short time your body is still adapting. I know this will sound smug but my avatar is my resume...
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I do understand how the work my abs are doing is protecting my back. That's why I'm so concerned about form. But I definitely find myself halfway through something and I have to slow and refocus on tightening my abs and I"m worried that that activity is a) taking away from my form and b) maybe a sign that I'm doing something wrong, since I seem to have so much trouble making it happen. But I am starting out very lightly and going slowly, and I am definitely starting out, so maybe I"ll give it couple weeks of primarily focusing on movement and posture and see where I end up.
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I know this will sound smug but my avatar is my resume...

And what a good resume it is. I'd hire you to, uh, yes.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Do squats, they are a killer work out and you will have to use your core.

My avatar is my resume too...lol
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    A simple way of thinking about it is to act like someone is going to punch you in the stomach.
    Walk around all day like that too and youll get good at it.
    Pavel T talks about this a lot in his books.
    when lifting heavy try to actively bring your belly button to your *kitten*.
    Recruit the whole neighborhood and you'll have a good base to work from when you start doing heavy lifts.
    As for lifting www.stronglifts.com and get the report.
    Best beginners program out there.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Since you are lifting low weight, naturally the abs won't contract as much. I know that when I squat more than my body weight I have no choice but to engage my abs
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    A simple way of thinking about it is to act like someone is going to punch you in the stomach.
    Walk around all day like that too and youll get good at it.
    Pavel T talks about this a lot in his books.
    when lifting heavy try to actively bring your belly button to your *kitten*.
    Recruit the whole neighborhood and you'll have a good base to work from when you start doing heavy lifts.
    As for lifting www.stronglifts.com and get the report.
    Best beginners program out there.

So it benefits me to concentrate on this contraction when I'm sitting in meetings or whatever at work?

And thanks for the tip, I'll add stronglifts.com to my every growing pile of resources.
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    Since you are lifting low weight, naturally the abs won't contract as much. I know that when I squat more than my body weight I have no choice but to engage my abs

That is helpful! Thanks!
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    Do squats, they are a killer work out and you will have to use your core.

My avatar is my resume too...lol

Squats started yesterday. I'm pretty sure if how I feel today is ongoing that I never want to do them again, but I'll push through! I think I started too low for my arms (since they are strong from rowing) but squats and lunges are fast becoming my nemesis, which means I must defeat them! :)

Your resume is very fine too. I'm glad I don't have to choose from a hiring stand point. :)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Actually all I see is a little 4 pack anyone can get by lowering bf% and some skinny looking arms.
  • evereadysmile
    Options

Actually all I see is a little 4 pack anyone can get by lowering bf% and some skinny looking arms.

No fighting in my thread, boys. Everyone is awesome and just different than you are.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

No fighting in my thread, boys. Everyone is awesome and just different than you are.

I don't intend on fighting. Just funny that someone posts incorrect information and then refers to a pic of themselves that does not show anything of note other than somewhat low fat as something that should increase their credibility.

The link below explains what you should be doing, and eventually it should not be something that you have to focus on much and instead should just be an unconcious thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    The link below explains what you should be doing, and eventually it should not be something that you have to focus on much and instead should just be an unconcious thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

I'm supposed to equalize the pressure in my ears when I'm lifting?
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Dear OP,

There is a big difference between contracting the abs (hollowing) and bracing the core. Bit of research and you will be lifting like a pro in no time.

It is bracing that you want to do, and that is different to most peoples understanding of engaging the core.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

There is a big difference between contracting the abs (hollowing) and bracing the core. Bit of research and you will be lifting like a pro in no time.

It is bracing that you want to do, and that is different to most peoples understanding of engaging the core.
    This is a good point too.
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    Dear OP,

And I guess this is the answer to what I'm asking? I *am* doing it wrong if I'm focused on keeping those muscles literally contracted and tight, vs. making sure my core feels stable (which I think between years of yoga and rowing, I do know the difference between those two things). Thanks!