Slim Fast vs Special K shakes

Options
Hi all, I'm considering replacing one or two meals per day with a protein shake. Which is the better choice, Slim Fast shakes or Special K shakes?? Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Buy a protein mix and make your own. Much cheaper, much less sugar and infinitely more variety because YOU make them.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the ingredients label and decide if you like the look of what they have in them. Basically they are mostly just variations on milk and sugar (in lots of different forms).

There is nothing magic about shakes, they are one way of having a low cal breakfast or snack - but you could get exactly the same results by eating food. It's up to you to choose what form you want your calories to come in.
  • Milvardea
    Options
    The Slim Fast tastes way better, but the Special K is better for you, with a lot more protein and vitamins (but more sugar). Either way, they are expensive, and I would make my own. But, if you don't have time, like me, I would go with Slim Fast. It keeps you full longer and taste waaaaay better, less sugar.

http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?qt=k&wt=breakfast drink&rt=r&origin=Recipe
  • ashleybreuer
    ashleybreuer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Can you say chemical sh1tstorm? That's all those are. You are better off making your own.
  • stacey062909
    stacey062909 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Buy a protein mix and make your own. Much cheaper, much less sugar and infinitely more variety because YOU make them.

I second this post! Great advice in my opinion!
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    If I had to pick one, I guess special K. I agree with ashley though, using fresh ingredients make take a little longer but you will probably save money. You should try juicing! Then just add protein powder.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I get the kroger brand slim fast. its called slim rite. its fast, simple, i think it tastes good. done.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I lost 20 lbs on slimfast bars, shakes & pasta...i gained back 35... which i've lost because I know how to eat properly now. your nutrition is up to you but theres an awful lot of chemicals in them-try getting protein powder (a lot of health food store have single serving packs that you can try before you buy a big container) and just making your own...healthier & cheaper! :)
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The Kroger shakes are good, as are the Equate shakes from Walmart. Both cheaper than Slim-Fast.
  • reid95
    reid95 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi

I used to think those shakes were good for you too, but then I looked at the label on the side and saw that they were bad for you. Yes they do fill you up but with bad sugars and carbs. Please try whey protein by optimum nutrition. They all taste like they say they do and taste great. They have about 24g of protein and do fill you up!!! :smile: Those drinks only hurt you!! :flowerforyou:

But if it works for you then do what works for you!
  • reid95
    reid95 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yes
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i worked for the slimfast company for 10 years and yes, there is a lot of sugar in them but they are good for you. you will lose weight with them but i can't honestly say if they are any better or worse than the special k...and i'm not sure how they changed since going to a plastic bottle.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I only use slim fasts when I am in a serious hurry and don't have time to grab a lunch. Which is usually once every 2 or 3 weeks. I have a 6 pack of slim fasts only half gone that I have had for over a month now. But I am usually always hungry within an hour afterwards. The slim-fasts don't have enough protein per serving to keep you filled up. You are better off buying protein [powder and making a meal replacement yourself.

I usually make my own if I need a quick meal. But I make an actual meal out of it. I put oatmeal, flax seed, fruits, etc... in it, and it fills me up longer than the slim fasts. The only thing I have from special k are the strawberry crisps, because they are a yummy snack.
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Agreed, buy a good chocolate protein powder, a container of oatmeal, mix with water in a shaker bottle, and you're done. Takes seconds, and so much better for you with a lot more protein, at less cost.
  • JessicaNWelton
    JessicaNWelton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually like them both! I'm not much of a breakfast eater, which is a bad habit of mine. And I'm always on the go with work, school and kids. So, what I do is drink a Special K breakfast shake first thing in the morning when I'm heading out the door (so at least I'm getting my most important meal of the day). And it truly is filling! You wouldn't think that a 10 ounce shake would curb any appetite, but it sure keeps me full! And I love the taste! The strawberry ones are delicious (in my opinion)! I always keep a bottle of water on hand and drink it througout the day, refilling the bottle at least 3 times. I found that drinking water helps me not to get hungry, and its great for you! When I feel like a snack, I grab a slim fast peanut butter crunch bar, which tastes like a butterfinger to me. Or I'll eat a Special K bar, whichever I'm hungry for. Sometimes I decide on fruit or yogurt. I also like the 90 calorie Fiber One snacks... For lunch, I've been drinking a Slim Fast french vanilla shake which is so yummy! Later on in the day I'll have another snack. Then I eat a sensible dinner in the early evening. Tonight I made baked chicken. And then I'll eat my third snack of the day. On most days though, I'm too full to even eat more than one snack. So to answer your question...my opinion is that you don't have to just choose one or the other. I compared my Slim Fast Shake with my Special K shake, and they had exactly the same amount of calories, fat, carbs and protein. Besides, I like having a variety! Good luck with your decision! :-)
  • melinncj
    melinncj Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I get why alot of people are saying you just need to make your own, BUT for those of us who only rely on them on rushed days it's just not really feasible. I personally prefer the Special K to Slim fast, but I have used both. They keep me full and I don't feel like I have neglected myself in any way.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    melinncj wrote: »
    I get why alot of people are saying you just need to make your own, BUT for those of us who only rely on them on rushed days it's just not really feasible. I personally prefer the Special K to Slim fast, but I have used both. They keep me full and I don't feel like I have neglected myself in any way.

Lol 6 year ghost thread
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    qt3niptnfoyb.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    melinncj wrote: »

Lol 6 year ghost thread

I like what she had to say tho. :)