whey protien

Options
so i have decided to start more of a muscle building program with some cardio in it. i am currently using some off brand whey protein supplement, but only for a few days. i am not sure how to use this stuff. like when i should take it, how often, how much protein i should be taking in, things like that. if anyone out there has any experience with this stuff i would greatly appreciate the input. thanks in advance.

Replies

• landers26
    Options
    For whey protein clinical research would suggest taking 1.2-1.5 grams per kg. So divide your weight by 2.2, then multiply by 1.2 or 1.5. As far as weight loss and athletic performance there is not substantial evidence yet to fully support its use. There is some research to support its efficacy. It is listed as possibly effective and is generally considered safe to take if you want to give it a try. If you do take it, be aware that it can interact with other supplements or drugs so make sure you tell your doctor/pharmacist you are taking whey protein. High doses of whey protein can cause flatulence, headache, nausea, bloating, cramps, increased stool frequency, fatigue, and reduced appetite.

Also, if you do choose to take it make sure you get it from a reliable source as dietary supplements is not a very regulated industry. I would recommend USP certified if you find it. Should have a label on the bottle if it is.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use body fortress whey protein after I workout in a shake. I use some almond milk, 1 scoop of the protein powder (which is about 22 g of protein i believe), and some fruit. I try to have it within 30 minutes of working out. Sometimes I'll use it as a meal replacement.