Eating before bed

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So, if it doesn't matter when you eat, why do people say to always eat breakfast?

Two reasons:

1) Nutritional dogma dies hard and if something goes against "common wisdom" then people tend to disregard it arbitrarily.
    2) Studies in which calories were not controlled show that people who skip breakfast tend to gain more weight or lose less weight. This is due to people over-eating later in the day.

Given equal intake of calories, eating them at one time vs another is not relevant for total weightloss.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong to eat right before you go to bed? Ive heard mixed opinions on this.

theory 1: food sits in you and gets stored as fat
    theory 2: doesn't matter when you eat as long as you burn it off

I don't mean have a FEAST then go to sleep, i just mean a little snack like an apple with peanut butter or something.

I'd appreciate opinions!

Right before I go to bed I usually have 1C ice cream, 2Tbsp peanut butter, 1 Tbsp Nutella, 1 banana. It's delicious.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    So, if it doesn't matter when you eat, why do people say to always eat breakfast?

Two reasons:

1) Nutritional dogma dies hard and if something goes against "common wisdom" then people tend to disregard it arbitrarily.
    2) Studies in which calories were not controlled show that people who skip breakfast tend to gain more weight or lose less weight. This is due to people over-eating later in the day.

Given equal intake of calories, eating them at one time vs another is not relevant for total weightloss.
    Don't forget the enormous deluge of anecdotal evidence. Somewhat related to #2, but perhaps more influential.

I know for me, when I skip breakfast, and get really hungry, I tend to overeat at lunch - sometimes pushing me beyond my calorie goals for the day.

I also know that the problem with that behavior (in the context of weight loss) is the going over total cals consumed problem, not a timing problem.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Two reasons:

Don't forget the enormous deluge of anecdotal evidence. Somewhat related to #2, but perhaps more influential.

I know for me, when I skip breakfast, and get really hungry, I tend to overeat at lunch - sometimes pushing me beyond my calorie goals for the day.

I also know that the problem with that behavior (in the context of weight loss) is the going over total cals consumed problem, not a timing problem.

From what I've read, the idea is "People who skip breakfast weigh more" ... and the reason being, they were skipping meals so they could lose weight, because they were already heavy.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake about 30 min before I go to bed if I have the calories left in the day.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I eat about 4-5 egg whites each night before I go to bed. I want to make sure my muscles are being fed while I sleep. The apple with peanut butter isn't a bad idea either! Try to aim to high protein and healthy fats for your bedtime meal ;)