Challenging myself

Options
I've been contemplating a goal for next year. On Labor day, which falls on or near my birthday every year, there is a Festival of Races. They hold a 5K, 10K, and a triathalon which includes a 5K run, 19K bike ride, and a 4K kayak on our lake. I already am walking more than 5K everyday at a steady 3.5 mph sometimes 4 mph, so I am seriously considering training to enter at least the 5K next year.

I have been putting off running to this point because of my weight. I am down 86 pounds as I write this. I have 7 months till next March. If I can maintain my current weight loss, I could be down another 70 pounds (or more) by then and be down to almost 300 pounds. I would then have 5 solid months to work up to running (maybe with the couch to 5k even though not starting from the couch).

I think this could be a useful tool to keep me motivated throughout the winter. Last winter was bad for me, I gained back the 40 pounds I lost. Of course, I was not nearly as motivated as I am now. Before I was losing because people told me I should, now I am doing it because I WANT it.

The main reason I am posting this is just to "say" it to other people. Goals kept to oneself are much easier to let fall away.

All this being said, I would appreciate input, training tips, ect.

Replies

• BigDaddy0825
    Options
    dusty ... You are AMAZING man!! I am so jealous of the success you are having!! You are out there owning it every day!! I say go ahead and sign up ... That way you have something to work towards with a definite date. The C25K program is amazing!! I ran over 20 minutes straight on Saturday, after starting the program the first of august!! And you are way ahead of the game with all your walking! You are such an inspiration man!! Keep up the AMAZING WORK!!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I am with BigDaddy, you own this. Setting a long term goal is a great thing I have done it several times. My nieces have a race to raise money for their school, 2012 was the first. I have told them every year they attend the school and the race is being hosted I will be there and run in their names. I did it in April and set my inital time {ran and walked to finish}. I have committed to it April 13, 2013 and even set-up a side wager that with some family member that the slowest time will make an additional donation on behalf of the winner to a charity of their nameing. I plan eachg year I am committed to this task my times will be better than the prior.

As for C25K; it is a great program and even if you do not run you can use it as a motivator. Start with day one and during the run cycles try and "speed walk" until you are ready to move to the next level.