How do I stop bulking up?

Options
My arms (in particular my biceps) are really starting to bulk up and look somewhat manly. How do I stop this? I have heard that lighter weights with more repetition tone rather than build mass, but when I even pick up a 7 or so pound weighted dumbbell I feel like it's absolutely nothing at all no matter how many reps I do.

Replies

• ashaver_21
    Options
    I am in the same position. One thing that seems to be working right now is doing Pilates. I dance with 3lbs weights and if I feel like its not enough I use 5lbs on each arm. I cut that workout out on the weekends to let the muscles settle down. If you are not into dancing instead of adding weight just add resistance. Think about how your arms are moving and tighten then with a controlled movement. The best my arms ever looked was when I wasn't using weights at all.

Hope this helps!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Not trying to sell you anything but look into the beachbody.com progam Insanity. It's the hardest workout program on DVD's and it's all cardio...some strength but very little. You will tone and strengthen. If you're not into that the keep the low weight and high reps. 12-15 reps builds lean mucsle, 8-10 builds bulky muscle. It's ok that the weight feels light. Do 3-5 sets if you don't feel like you're getting any where. Hope this helps
  • stephcheers
    Options
    I too don't have to do much and get a lot of muscle in my arms. I think some of it has to do with genetics. But I also have realized that I personally like to see a little definition. It's a matter of opinion, but I would think there are other people who find a well defined body attractive. Over all I try to keep in mind that I feel healthy and I wouldn't give up my workouts for anything (not even 'softer' arms).

:bigsmile:
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    stop doing bicep exercises for a while

high reps/low weight for toning is a little bit of a myth, if you tear muscle it will grow - but higher reps will surely make your muscles grow a little slower...

can you post an example of your workout schedule ?