Are carrots a bad carb?

Options

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    And then there are some people that have perfectly legitimate medical conditions where eating something as seemingly innocuous as carrot will cause blood sugar issues so they have to stick to less starchy options.

I see the whole weight management thing as a sliding scale of carbohydrate tolerance, it all depends where you are and what your metabolic state is like.

In answer to the original question, for some people, yes.

THIS^^^

I suspect that I am insulin resistant ( going to the doctor today) so I need to limit carbs. I tend to avoid carrots, corn and peas for broccoli, cauliflower and green beans, which are lower GI veggies.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't think any vegetable or fruit is "bad"

They probably meant that carrots have a higher sugar content than a lot of vegetables...???
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Unless you're seriously trying to reach ketosis, don't worry about the carrots. However, they are much better for you raw than cooked, as they will contain more of the good stuff, and also add fiber. Cooked the fiber will be broken down and the vitamins will be washed out, leaving very little but the sugar.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, hypoglycemia and carrots are a life saver for me. They were how I started eating more veggies. Them and grape tomatoes.

A serving of carrots has a glycemic load of 2, which is really low.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet screwed peoples head with some veggies ...carrots, beets, tomatoes (fruit) just to name a couple via they are considered high carb veg along with potato n bananas...there's more but don't care to remember cos it's stupid. I know people who succeeded on this diet, failed, n now have an unreasonable fear of these veggies when they try and lose weight again.

something isn't stupid just because you don't understand it. Carrots, Beets, Tomatoes, etc are higher GI veggies and tend to cause blood sugar issues in some individuals. The people who *fail* on Atkins are the ones who are not doing it RIGHT. No need to be super restrictive after the first 2 weeks unless you want to. It is all about finding YOUR personal level of carbs that allows you to lose at a steady rate. Some people do this at 20g carbs, some people can eat over 100g carbs...
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    hi,
    carrotts are higher in carbs than other veg, when following low carb plans like Atkins you have to limit carb intake especially on induction, carrots, potatoes, corn, peas and parsnips etc are all no nos... do you have the book or food lists? if not foin the atkins website its free and you can access it all on there or join minimins and read the forums there is lots of help and advice there. You really do need to read the book to understand the ins and outs though xx
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Carrots are good eat them!
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    And then there are some people that have perfectly legitimate medical conditions where eating something as seemingly innocuous as carrot will cause blood sugar issues so they have to stick to less starchy options.

I see the whole weight management thing as a sliding scale of carbohydrate tolerance, it all depends where you are and what your metabolic state is like.

I've wondered this alot. I have pcos and insulin resistance and carrots, beetroot and corn are the veg I enjoy the most but the higher in sugar and carbs. I've tried 90g and 60g daily carbs without much success, I've eaten better and exercised more than I have in years and not lost a lot in over a year so now aiming for 20g and ketosis on the hope it gets things moving. What is good for some may not necessarily be good for others.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    All your fruits and veggies are complex carbs. Those are good carbs that have nutritional value.
    White breads, pastry and such are simple carbs which you want to definitely eat in minimal quantities.

Epic fail. Sugars in fruit (or veg) are simple carbohydrates. Starch is a complex carbohydrate, as found in breads, pastry and vegetables. It's the size of the molecule that makes it simple or complex, not the colour of the food.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What makes a carb "good" or "bad"? Is there a strict list of criteria to be a good or bad carb?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    And what on earth is a "bad carb"?

Cakes, cookies, chips, soda, white bread.

Negative, ghost rider.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Those are all yummy. :happy:
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    What makes a carb "good" or "bad"? Is there a strict list of criteria to be a good or bad carb?

I think if they come in a food people blame for making them fat, it must be bad.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All your fruits and veggies are complex carbs. Those are good carbs that have nutritional value.

White breads, pastry and such are simple carbs which you want to definitely eat in minimal quantities. If I eat simple carbs such as bread or pasta, I always off set it with a protein such as a Tbsp of peanut butter or a sauce with lean meats in it. :)
    No.

Actually, fruits are simple carbs, white bread is actually a complex carb (it's a starch.) Simple and complex have to do with the types of sugars in them. Fruits contain mostly monosaccharides, while breads, pastries and pastas contain all polysaccharides, which are more complex, hence "complex carbs."
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet screwed peoples head with some veggies ...carrots, beets, tomatoes (fruit) just to name a couple via they are considered high carb veg along with potato n bananas...there's more but don't care to remember cos it's stupid. I know people who succeeded on this diet, failed, n now have an unreasonable fear of these veggies when they try and lose weight again.

TRUTH!

All veggies should have a place in your diet, unless there is an allergy, or if you just think it tastes yucky. (Not trying to call the Atkins crowd stupid, but the idea of eliminating veggies because they have starch is just too bad because they are missing out on some of the yummiest of veggies by doing that.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Lol, then must be the reason I'm in horrible shape cause I eat them!:laugh: There really isn't a "bad" carb. There are carbs that people don't know how to be discipline with though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Paranoia and zealotry, with a little fear mongering and lack of education thrown in.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Paranoia and zealotry, with a little fear mongering and lack of education thrown in.
    Don't be ridiculous. If you're restricting your carb intake -- regardless of the reason -- it stands to reason that vegetables with less carbs are going to be the better choice because that's what fits into your plan. It's the exact same reason someone restricting their calories chooses carrots instead of potato chips because that's what fits into their plan.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    That still doesn't make one carb bad and another good.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    This and this.

Carrots are 10% carbs, 5% sugar (75% of which is sucrose) and 2.8% fiber. The have a lot of Vitamin A but not much else of note.

So they aren't a good vegetable for a low carb diet, as others have half the carbs.