Some advice about Doing Pushups

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks for all your support. I feel better already. I was going thru the "I will never ever, ever, ever be able to do pushups." Now it is, "Let me try" So thanks to you all.

I'll start by easier pushups as most of you suggested, and (hopefully) graduate to the real ones. Specifically, I'll go through method suggested by BarryH in her blog. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Can anyone suggest weight routines to improve upper body strength? I want one with max 5lb wt in either hand and NO MORE. I'm ready to do more reps though
    Upper body strength is improved when you push more resistance than muscle is used to. Most people can easily move a 5lb weight so you're not going to do much to improve your body strength with it. And more reps only helps with endurance.
    Don't be afraid of heavy weights. You've probably been told they will make you "bulky", but on calorie deficit that's not likely at all.
    Search the forums for females who train with heavy weights and check out some of their physiques.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Do as many good-quality pushups as you can. Elbows bent to 90 degrees at the bottom of your pushup, straight back (no butt in the air)

From then, drop to your knees and use the same good technique

Every day, repeat the process... Do as many as you can from your hands and then drop to your knees when you need to. You'll see improvement over time. Pushups are not easy to start out with, but you will get better!

If you are trying to improve your strength (and pushups improve your strength), it makes zero sense to me why you would need advice on exercises that use no more than 5lbs of weight. You realize the amount of weight you're essentially lifting when you do a pushup is significantly higher than 5lbs, right?
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I began with girly pushups on a bosu. I am now doing 35 manly-man pushups on the floor. Just begin slowly, take your time, use whatever props you need and you will be successful!
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all you folks about lifting weights for building upper body strength to do pushups. I have a question -

Can I lift weights to get the strength and then give it up? Ofcourse, if I am not exercizing at all, I expect flab. But if I use weights for a short period (3-6 months) and then give it up for pushups, will that cause any problems??
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you a break from weightlifting, even if you've lost a lot of strength you will never find it as hard as when you first started as you will retain muscle memory.

But why would you do that? Why not incorporate push-ups into your weight training routine? If you find it tough while you're building up your push-up reps you might want to drop the chest -specific exercises, say bench-presses and flies.

Doing both will be the best way to build up upper-body strength.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Can I ask WHY you would want to strength train "just until you can do pushups", then stop training?

Strength training is the absolute BEST way to transform your body into something that looks awesome naked... anyone can look good dressed, but if you want things firm and smooth, start lifting and DON'T STOP!

The key is to start. Once you do, you will WANT to go heavier because you will notice results and want MORE!
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Can I ask WHY you would want to strength train "just until you can do pushups", then stop training?

Strength training is the absolute BEST way to transform your body into something that looks awesome naked... anyone can look good dressed, but if you want things firm and smooth, start lifting and DON'T STOP!

The key is to start. Once you do, you will WANT to go heavier because you will notice results and want MORE!

Maybe I did not make my position clear. I am a mathematical consultant, married with a daughter. I was always the academic/social type - never the physical type.

Now, I want to be fit. But I need a routine that I can do and "forget about it". I need something that is not very strenuous, which I can do. I am not too concerned with having an awesome body - just with being fit and a bit strong. I have a lot of commitments in life, and I want something I can do every day (or alternate day) that will ensure fitness. Thats all.
    My thinking is like this - suppose I work hard and can do a fixed number of pushups - say 25. I'll reach a level of fitness. I will NOT INCREASE it, because I am happy with that level. I hope I have explained my position - something simple and not too complicated.
  • Hotby40
    Options
    What is it about them that is hard for you? (weak wrists, pain anywhere, arm strength?)
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lift weights, don't. There is a lot you can do on just body weight. Check out this workout:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

You've gotten some great tips on how to work on doing push ups. I've read that doing knee push ups doesn't develop the same muscles as doing them on your toes, and that it's better to decrease the intensity by doing them on a chair, table, or wall to build up strength until you can do them on the floor. You can also do them on the stairs, and work your way down until you reach the bottom.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When i started the 100 push up challange, I did it for the first time all the was through by leaning twords a wall and "pushing-up" away from it. It will still build muscle, but will be a lower intensity. Once you make it through that way you can increase the incline by pushing up against a desk or some stairs. Just maintain good form and keep increasing the incline. I can now do 100 girly push ups, all by working up to it slowly. Hang in there!

I did this too! Start small and just keep adding one more each time. I couldn't even do one girl push-up at first, and only 5 wall push-ups. Now I can do 10 girl push-ups. Eventually I will work my way up to *real* military-style push-ups, but not this day.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you can only do 2 at a time, do 2, but do multiple sets of 2.
    Take a big rest break in between.

Maybe:
    2 pushups
    rest 2 minutes
    2 pushups
    rest 2 minutes
    2 pushups

The next week increase the reps to 3 if you can, or increase the sets to 4 or 5.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I have no tricep (strenght) my trainer advise box presses - good luck
  • helenrs87
    Options

Maybe I did not make my position clear. I am a mathematical consultant, married with a daughter. I was always the academic/social type - never the physical type.

Now, I want to be fit. But I need a routine that I can do and "forget about it". I need something that is not very strenuous, which I can do. I am not too concerned with having an awesome body - just with being fit and a bit strong. I have a lot of commitments in life, and I want something I can do every day (or alternate day) that will ensure fitness. Thats all.
    My thinking is like this - suppose I work hard and can do a fixed number of pushups - say 25. I'll reach a level of fitness. I will NOT INCREASE it, because I am happy with that level. I hope I have explained my position - something simple and not too complicated.

If you're busy I think strength training is the absolute best way to keep yourself in shape with minimal time and effort. The gains from weight lifting are more than just strength. Having increased muscle mass increases your metabolism and helps you lose weight, resistance training also helps reduce the amount of internal fat you store (I hear this is a big problem for women in particular), it can also help with endurance and cardiovascular fitness and it really transforms your shape.

I don't build or store muscle easily and like you I had to start doing knee/incline push ups but found I could progress to 'real' push ups in no time. I am also very busy and I'm a big fan of 30 minute circuits or kettlebell training. Try circuits that incorporate a decent amount of resistance (all of jillian michaels DVDs are great, and many of them are short workouts) or try a kettlebell workout, these are the absolute best for strength training plus maximum calorie burn in a short space of time. Also I'd try and get one or two HEAVY lifting sets in per week. Exercise like this will give you the best results if you're strapped for time.