Planks - how good are they really?

Options

Replies

• DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options

So, I propose that planks are a ridiculously inefficient exercise and not worth doing.

I dare you to say this to Jillian Micheals
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Ok, new question:

How can you make planks ultra tough?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

It means that it works the muscles?!

Sure. I already know it works the muscles. It's the effectiveness I was questioning.

It is NOT possible to get abs without stripping body fat.
    That is all there is to it.

I said that earlier. :happy:

Then why are you still complaining that planks will not give you a 6pack?!
    Doing abs training will not give you abs, it will strengthen them.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I was questioning, not complaining. But I was also questioning whether planks will grow them.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Ok, new question:

Plank to push-up, three sets of 10. Guaranteed to make you sweat and shake.

Renegade row. Do planks in extended push-up position holding two dumbbells. Do a row one side then the other.

Weighted side planks. Extend the top arm holding a heavy dumbbell.

Roll-outs on a gym ball.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Ok, new question:

Plank to push-up, three sets of 10. Guaranteed to make you sweat and shake.

Renegade row. Do planks in extended push-up position holding two dumbbells. Do a row one side then the other.

Weighted side planks. Extend the top arm holding a heavy dumbbell.

Roll-outs on a gym ball.

Thanks. Will investigate.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I was questioning, not complaining. But I was also questioning whether planks will grow them.
    You don't need to "grow them" everyone has abs or they would not be able to sit up straight!
  • darrensurrey
    Options

You don't need to "grow them" everyone has abs or they would not be able to sit up straight!

I know that. I mean make them bigger. Much like someone might make their pecs bigger.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Cardio work does not train the abs and core, cyclists and distance runners have notoriously weak core strength.

Spoken from what research? Distance runners most certainly use their core. Try running 15-20 miles and then tell me you don't feel it in your core. BTW- You can't run 15-20 miles without building core strength either.

It is a well known fact, any major sports science organization will discuss the subject at length with research papers. Also rippetoe discusses.

As for Charles poliquin, the man is now nothing more than a snake oil selling charlatan. Hydrochloric acid anyone.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ok, new question:

Tighten and hold core and glute. As you learn to tighten you'll notice that planks become harder to do. If it seems easy, you are not tightening.

look here: http://physicalliving.com/the-right-way-to-do-the-plank-exercise/
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Why not just search planks on youtube..Many variations of this great core excercise out there..
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, I don't want my abs to get bigger like I do my other muscles like say, my bicpes. So there's that.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Ok, new question:

Put your hands on some type of ball. Like a medicine ball or something of that sort. I've seen someone get four balls and put each hand and each foot on one.... :glasses: Not me.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. So, front levers are great ab exercises then!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I already have a strong core from other training (full leg raises, deadlifts, front levers, rows, bent over rows, squats...).

Wait, you do front levers and don't believe that isometric holds build muscle?

You sure you are doing the front lever right?

And if you are able to actually work on the front lever, your core is so much stronger than what you can get from doing planks that planks are an absolute waste of time for you.

If crunches are the pink dumbbells of core exercises, planks are the purple dumbbells.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I already have a strong core from other training (full leg raises, deadlifts, front levers, rows, bent over rows, squats...).

Wait, you do front levers and don't believe that isometric holds build muscle?

You sure you are doing the front lever right?

And if you are able to actually work on the front lever, your core is so much stronger than what you can get from doing planks that planks are an absolute waste of time for you.

If crunches are the pink dumbbells of core exercises, planks are the purple dumbbells.

Yes, I wasn't sure FLs would make them grow bigger so stopped doing them. I'll start again, though. :-D
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi (also from Surrey!)
    Planks are particularly good for people who want to improve core stability to help support a bad back.
    Not really a way to build a 6 pack or advanced enough for someone already very fit and well muscled (IMHO).
    Other benefit is that you can do them anywhere without any equipment. I used to coach youth rugby so strength training in a middle of a field demands a different approach....
    Personal belief is that they are also good for people who tend to use resistance machines rather than free weights.
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ok, new question:

Plank Twists... and to take it even further http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_dD9VLGnME
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Hi (also from Surrey!)
    Planks are particularly good for people who want to improve core stability to help support a bad back.
    Not really a way to build a 6 pack or advanced enough for someone already very fit and well muscled (IMHO).
    Other benefit is that you can do them anywhere without any equipment. I used to coach youth rugby so strength training in a middle of a field demands a different approach....
    Personal belief is that they are also good for people who tend to use resistance machines rather than free weights.

That would make sense!