Ladies with PCOS & Weight Loss

Options
I have PCOS and was diagnosed when I was 13. For the last 6 months I've tried hard to loose weight and I think anybody with PCOS knows its that little bit harder because of our condition.

I've dropped 20lbs, simply through healthy eating and a manic exercise routine of circuit training, long walks and jogging. BUT im struggling with the last few pounds - mainly with my belly!

Has any other ladies with PCOS struggled with this? And do you recommended any exercise or diet plans which can help, as I know belly fat is a big problem with this condition. I've heard a low carb and sugar diet can be beneficial?

Thank you.

Replies

• susyw_2003
    Options
    Anybody?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Gotta have a little patience - people are still trying to get to work, or just dropping off the kids at school with the time you posted...

First things first: how old are you, how tall are you, how frequently active are you in the gym?

If you can answer that part first... thats helpful.

Secondly: what is your daily caloric intake?

Thirdly: You really should open your diary for people to see if you are asking about what dietary lifestyle would best.... you have nothing but a blank canvas for a profile with it locked up tight and helping you wouldnt do any good with the way it is right now to be honest
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    It was quarter to 11, im pretty sure thats not too early.

Im 20, 5"3 and i worked out for 30 minutes 6 days a week.

My calorie intake is around 1100-1400 a day, depending on what im doing and what exercise i do that evening.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh?

For me as a high carber with PCOS, I find I have to limit my refined carbs. I eat things like potatoes/sweet potatoes ocassionally but bread is what I specifically try to watch out for. I eat a lot of beans, vegetables, some fruits and some whole grains. I think glycemic load is something to look into. I used South beach diet as a general guideline when I first started losing weight and that diet is based on glycemic load.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hello!! Fellow PCOS person here. Honestly, the only way I've found to successfully lose weight is to follow a low-carb plan. For me, personally, this falls around 20-30g per day - which is considered very low-carb. I wouldn't 'recommend' taking this up without talking to your doctor/consultant first though.

The 'belly' is a difficult area, mine is still very much a work in progress lol!!

There are a lot of people from all over the world here so you do need to take in to consideration time differences etc. There is also a very good network of PCOS gals and I'm sure you will get a lot of responses in time.

Also, check out the groups, just search on PCOS and there are several groups - very helpful indeed :-)

Good luck!! x
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful! Its always just a bit disheartening when you dont get any replies :P

Lat100 - ive found my belly to be my difficult spot - arms, legs - easy! Belly.. not so much! I've heard lowering carbs can help with loosing weight!

linanil - i weight around 9 stone 8 at the moment, seems to fluctuate a lot though. And i have heard of the south beach diet, i will look into it, thankyou.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    First and foremost do not let PCOS get you down. Take all the negative about it out of your head and get rid of it. You don't want to sit and dwell on all of that. I was diagnosed with it back in 1996 and although the only side effects I've ever had from it were irregular periods, skin tags and dark spots on my back, you CAN lose the weight, you can control your symptoms, you can get pregnant and you can live a healthy life. In my opinion I would go completely vegetarian and cut out all dairy. I've seen too many women over the years taking way too long to lose weight and 90% of its the way they continue to eat. I'm not going to get into a big ordeal online here but if you have any questions send me emails, I can give you answers for days on end. I have been studying this disease since the day I was diagnosed and although we can never get rid of it we can keep it completely under control. Also, you should get yourself an endocrinologist and have all your hormone levels checked at the very least. You're young and if you get a start on this now you can almost be cured of it by the time you're my age (43). I say cured because I feel like I am. I have regular periods and have for 11 years in a row same time every month give or take one day. I do not gain weight, I don't have any kind of excess hair issues and I can get pregnant if I wanted to and I am completely healthy and to be honest with you don't even feel like I have PCOS. I forget about it until someone else brings it up. You start taking care of yourself now and you will find that you can keep it completely under control. Wish you all the best :)
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I am currently on South Beach Diet and I love it. Lost 54 pounds so far on it. It has taken me a year to get there, which seems so little, but I would rather it come off slow than fast anyway. The low carb diet will help with the belly. You are welcome to add me if you like.
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    Being a girl is horrible enough without another hormonal problem hey :P

Is the South Beach diet something you can get in the UK?
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    What is PCOS? I've seen it posted here, but have never heard of it?
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It IS hard to lose weight with PCOS and the belly fat thing is a major pain in the a**!!!

Its not impossible though. I've lost 48lbs so far which i NEVER thought would be possible with PCOS.

You can too!

Jx
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options

It's PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome - an endocrine disorder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycystic_ovary_syndrome
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

PCOS is an acronym for a condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It is an endocrine/hormone condition where women sometimes develop cysts on the ovaries and other nasty hormone related symptoms. Its not life threatening, but its also not fun.

Jx
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    Sounds silly and i SHOULD know, but does anyone know WHY its so hard? is it hormonal or an insulin based reason?

We CAN loose weight, we just have it that much harder!
  • kknana
    kknana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also. Can you give ideas on exercise while dealing with low energy and food suggestions? It has taken 4 months for me to lost 19 lbs.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS and asked my doc a few questions. I see that you wrote you work out 30min a day, 6 days a week. I would suggest increasing that to maybe 45min a day if you can. That should definitely stimulate your body to lose a bit more. 30 is generally considered to be the time to maintain weight whereas 45-60min is said to be best when wanting to lose weight. I also agree with the vegetarianism! I'm a vegetarian and so far, despite the diagnosis, I've consistently lost 2lbs a week since starting on MFP. :)
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    I think 19lb in 4 months is amazing and you shouldn't think that is isn't fast progress, because it definitely is! I find circuit training is the best form of exercise for me - it helps me tone but improves my cardio too. maybe give that a try?

and chopstixfour1 - good advice! for the last week ive actually been doing 40-50 mins of exercise as a new DVD and ive definitely noticed that i feel a bit more toned, and i dont tend to eat that much meat anyway so i do think my diet is quite the same as a vegetarians anyway - lots of veg! congrats on your weight loss! x
  • modacycle
    Options
    I have PCOS and finally was able to lose weight after the HCG diet, however, I realized it didn't have much to do with the HCG, it was the actual food changes. I lost the weight, even belly fat when I completely canned SUGAR. NO SUGAR, NO SUGAR!!! Apples, that's my sugar, apples and berries, that's it. Worked like a charm and still is.
  • aerolf
    aerolf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed wih PCOS last month and am on week 3 of Metformin. Fortunately, I've had no side effects from the Metformin. Actually had to asked my doc if she prescribed a placebo,

Since starting the Metformin I've lost 9 pounds. I've been doing a calorie restricted 1200-1400 diet along with a 35% carb, 35% protein,30% fat diet. I know that sounds like a lot of fat, but the majority comes from nuts, seeds, and other MUFAs.

I exercise very little due to a couple musculoskeletal issues, but once I lose another 5 or 10 lbs from diet I should be able to start doing more intense walking.

My biggest boost has been my partner also dieting and eating healthy. His 2100 calorie goal kills me, but he's much more active and as a cable guy has a much more active job than me (I work in human resources).

I'm visiting my gyne in about 2 weeks and going to ask to be started on an anti-androgen as well as have an ovarian scan.