Chillies

Options
Are they really as awesome for you as the intertoobz makes out?
Everyone I speak to about my journey asks me about my chilli consumption and tells me to eat more.
Surely something that people say so often has to be at least partly bogus.

Replies

• Blunderguff
    Options
    Homemade is the best, since you can control what's in it, and you're not using as much processed food which will be high in sodium. Even then, it'll still be relatively high in sodium between the salt and tomatoes. However you can keep the fat down by using lean ground beef, or even ground turkey. Beans are an excellent source of protein and fiber. I add sweet peppers also. Tomatoes provide vitamins and lycopene. Chiles and spices basically have little or no calories, but add tons of flavor and heat. If you're concerned about calories and fat, go light on the added cheese and sour cream - or just leave it off altogether. I leave it all out myself but alittle chhese. I also drain my tomatoes and beans from there juices to cut back on the sodium.

Nom nom nom
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Homemade is the best, since you can control what's in it, and you're not using as much processed food which will be high in sodium. Even then, it'll still be relatively high in sodium between the salt and tomatoes. However you can keep the fat down by using lean ground beef, or even ground turkey. Beans are an excellent source of protein and fiber. I add sweet peppers also. Tomatoes provide vitamins and lycopene. Chiles and spices basically have little or no calories, but add tons of flavor and heat. If you're concerned about calories and fat, go light on the added cheese and sour cream - or just leave it off altogether. I leave it all out myself but alittle chhese. I also drain my tomatoes and beans from there juices to cut back on the sodium.

Nom nom nom

This.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry, I meant like the actual chilli. Hot peppers. Not the meat dish.
    Apparently they increase your metabolism or something. I eat them heaps in most dinners I make and some lunches.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    They can act as an appetite suppressant and make you feel fuller. I've read some research about this but generally I don't believe in magic solutions - eating more chillies is not going to help you lose weight unless you're otherwise eating a healthy diet.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I too am always suspicious of outrageous claims that certain foods create weight-loss miracles and would certainly regard them with a pinch of salt.

If you enjoy eating chillies then eat them, but if you find you are trying to encorporate them into your diet just for the sake of it then don't. Personally I am a huge fan of chillies but I do a lot of running and find that they can upset my stomach or cause me heartburn during my exercise so I tend to avoid sadly.

Best of luck with your weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I eat em cause I like em! Spicy is nom.
    I just thought it had to be a massive insane thing to be something people ask about all the time.

Thanks!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I eat em cause I like em! Spicy is nom.
    I just thought it had to be a massive insane thing to be something people ask about all the time.

Thanks!

The main component: capsaicin does give you that 'full' feeling but its more of the body's response to the natural chemical....

We have seen people in our ER who thought they could do a habanero on an empty stomach and they damn near passed out from the pain.... idiots!!!!

Personally speaking, I love a good hot and spicy pepper as I pretty much have burnt off my taste buds at this point of my life! LOL! I love all of the varieties... raw, cooked, pickled, roasted, you name it!
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When consumed, capsaicinoids bind with pain receptors in the mouth and throat that are responsible for sensing heat. Once activated by the capsaicinoids, these receptors send a message to the brain that the person has consumed something hot. The brain responds to the burning sensation by raising the heart rate, increasing perspiration and release of endorphins.

There are other reports that spicy foods can boost the metabolism, so an increase in heart rate will increase calorie burn, not sure of the percentage but even an extra point can help.

If you like spicy food then all well and good.

Andy
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I love peppers. The hotter the better. Habanerro peppers are delicious.
    I eat them because I enjoy them. Any healthy side effects are a bonus.