facial exercises - A myth?

Options
At 115lbs and 5"4 i think I'm fine <though i want to lose 5 more pounds> ...
But my face doesn't seem to realize I've lost weight lol...I'm still stuck with a not so lean face...i have "chubby" cheeks... I really want to know if these facial workouts online work...or whether they're just a myth ... anything at all that may help?

Replies

• monpettitefleur
    Options
    I can't see how facial exercises would work, my face isn't slim....or chubby but the amount of talking & laughing I do by rights I should look reallllllllly slim in my face ;-)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat and the face is no different.

Unless you want to keep lowering your body fat overall until it finally affects your face to the degree you would like then you are stuck with the chubby cheeks.

Which is no bad thing really.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce
    not even on your face
    the fat will come off from the places it want to come off, be patient, lower your bf% and you will see changes
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they work, and I don't do specific facial exercises. Saying that, I have a slim face and kneck and I exercise a lot. My sister does not exercise as much as me, but has also lost a lot of weight via MFP, and she has not lost so much weight from around her face and kneck. I suspect if may be an added bonus side effect to strength training / weight lifting.

Will be interested to see if someone can shed some light on the issue.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    are you talking about saying the vowels in an exaggerated way? if so I believe they do work, for the muscles under the chin, my grandmother swears by them and kept telling me to do them to be honest if I looked that good at nearing 90 Id be doing damned well ... I done them for a bit and deffo noticed a tightening around my jaw line, but only around my jaw line. hope this is helpful :)

the face has muscles and Im sure they can be tightened with exercise the same as anywhere else in the body :)
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    hmmm i guess the bonus would be looking like a kid always...never a bad thing :)

or maybe with the 5lbs down ...my face might get skinnier...
    thanks all!
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    are you talking about saying the vowels in an exaggerated way? if so I believe they do work, for the muscles under the chin, my grandmother swears by them and kept telling me to do them to be honest if I looked that good at nearing 90 Id be doing damned well ... I done them for a bit and deffo noticed a tightening around my jaw line, but only around my jaw line. hope this is helpful :)

the face has muscles and Im sure they can be tightened with exercise the same as anywhere else in the body :)

yes actually that's the exercises i meant...oooh so i suppose there isn't harm in trying...if it works good else the above reply :D
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I dont think they do!I inherited my facial structure from my Dad lord rest him and Id say if I was 8 stone(which will not happen!!!) I would still have a chubby face and chin,I hate it but Im stuck with it!:happy:
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too but its true that you can't "spot reduce" from any area of your body. I've tried the exercises, and chewing gum which i read may help but haven't noticed a significant difference to be honest.

Have you thought about drinking more water? When we're retaining water it makes the face swell a bit as well as the ankles, belly etc. Try drinking as much water as you can during each day and see if that helps?

Jx
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Body fat % is probably what you should measure. Not the scale. Especially if you are very close to ideal weight.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    I do drink lots of water...more than 8 glasses...i can't do without water....
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

yes actually that's the exercises i meant...oooh so i suppose there isn't harm in trying...if it works good else the above reply :D
    I would add that I think yoga-style stretching, especially the stretches that work the area of the neck and shoulders is great for the face....just try it you'll see what I mean.
    If your neck and shoulder muscles are tense, it creates posture problems and tension in those muscles, and changes even the look of the skin on the neck and jaw line.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options

I would add that I think yoga-style stretching, especially the stretches that work the area of the neck and shoulders is great for the face....just try it you'll see what I mean.
    If your neck and shoulder muscles are tense, it creates posture problems and tension in those muscles, and changes even the look of the skin on the neck and jaw line.

i just calculated my body fat percentage and it says 20.9%...I'm not so sure what that means...this is the first time i've come across body fat percentage!

I do think from now onwards i should add a 30 minute yoga routine... I do have bad posture!and the facial exercises mentioned above can't be bad... :)
    thanks so much for all the advices!