New to fitbit...

Options
Hi!

I got a new fitbit and it's lots of fun to play around with. I have managed to sync my fitbit to MFP. I'm wondering if I still log my exercises with MFP or just let the fitbit do the adjustment? A tad confused.

Any other tips on using the two would be great!!!

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I never log exercise on MFP...Fitbit updates it automatically...
  • rszalley
    rszalley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    the only time I log is when it is something the fitbit doesn't get - like my yoga class or playing on my wii fit. I do try to log the activity if I'm doing a walk through fitbit (pressing the button until it starts blinking to begin and end). That way, I can compare later to see how my pace is doing week over week
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you do things like cycling, or use a HRM, use those stats to log into MFP. I use fitbit for everything else. I keep it on during my 30DS workout (weights/cardio), and don't record anything additional to that.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    After all the fumbling back and forth. I turn the fitbit on in the am ..keep it in my pocket and let it do it's thing. I don't log anything other than sleep and I am finding this to be much easier and more accurate. Let us know how you like yours. I keep mine on all the time and am always taking it out of my pocket to look at it. I LOVE it!

ps...still log my food intake on myfitnesspal.com instead of on the fitbit site. I do like the diary better here.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I let fitbit adjust the exercise. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. if you're doing a particular cardio exercise and you want to see how many calories you burned for that workout remember to use the stop watch feature...hold the button down until the timer starts and when you finish hold it down again until you see the word stop. I find I am exercising more, did not realize how little I was moving!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining the Fitbit user group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

There's a regular debate on there on whether to log your exercise via MFP or let Fitbit do the adjustment. Also at the moment some folks are experiencing issues with the Fitbit adjustment to MFP being a tad crazy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/714911-fitbit-adjustment-out-of-whack
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/725497-adjustment-issues-resolved

Maybe a tad TMI *shrug*

As for me, I log all my cardio through MFP and up until the issues with the adjustments, let Fitbit record and adjust for the walking. At the moment, I'm logging any extended periods of walking viia MFP.
  • MzColey
    Options
    :tongue: I just joined MFP..and have sync'd my FITBIT, and I let it do its work, I only log what FITBIT cant log like Zumba or my workout classes..Good LUCK!
  • johnsnowe
    Options
    Don't take it swimming. :)

Also, don't get sunscreen on the Fitbit. It will screw up the finish.

I had to play with the setting on the Fitbit and on MFP to get the adjustments close to being correct. My Fitbit adjustment was a bit higher than I believe was correct. (I raised my activity level on MFP to slightly active and raised the target on Fitbit.com to 1.5 lbs per week in order to get the settings correct.)

In case you have not found this yet:
    http://www.fitbit.com/manual
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I only log my exercises on MFP if I use my HRM. Otherwise I let FitBit do its thing.
  • helen0616
    Options
    We have whole forum for FitBitters! Go back ot the main page, scroll down and you'll see the FitBit section. Lots of helpful info there. Like others, I do not log my exercise unless it is something that FitBit doesn't "get", like spending an hour bowling on Kinect or yoga, stuff like that. I love my FitBit, it has really helped me get moving!!
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM so I log my exercise calories manually on MFP which overwrites what Fitbit has allowed you.

My Fitbit is not always that accurate when I do my Leslie Sansone walking programmes as it only "sees" my steps not all the resistance band work, arm movements etc and my HRM will often record a higher count on activites such as that. However, when I am say walking my dog, they are about the same.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I let fitbit adjust the exercise. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. if you're doing a particular cardio exercise and you want to see how many calories you burned for that workout remember to use the stop watch feature...hold the button down until the timer starts and when you finish hold it down again until you see the word stop. I find I am exercising more, did not realize how little I was moving!

I found the opposite I move a lot more than I thought a desk job would let me so had sedentary settings and logged my walks to work and shops. Turns out on my lazy weekend days I'm walking 8k steps and on a day that's a bit busy it's 16k, I also seem to go up 36 flights of stairs in a day (trips to bathroom, seeing people walking up train and tube stairs (4 sets), etc).

I now have the lean mass of a seven year old, asthmatic, agoraphobic child that's grounded and bedridden. Also indicates I'm about as accurate at calculating my calorie intake as a drunken monkey throwing darts at numbers pinned to an elephants *kitten* would be.