Coconut Water....worth the money???

Options
I've heard it helps with weight loss and great to drink after workouts. Does anyone drink it often?

Replies

• hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Interested in this myself. Finally just saw it at out store, but not sure if it is worth the high cost!
  • emilymnyc
    Options
    I've had numerous flavors and numerous brands...and I can't get into it. It's weird, and salty, and doesn't really taste good. Everyone else I know swears by it, so maybe I'm off my rocker. Call me old fashioned, but I like water!
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    i drink it every day just for the potassium. 16 ounces has a third of my daily allowance of it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I've heard it helps with weight loss and great to drink after workouts. Does anyone drink it often?

Look at the nutrition label. Does it have anything you need that you cannot get more conveniently or cheaply elsewhere? If so, then it's worth the money. If not, get your nutrients from cheaper and more convenient sources.

Potassium can be acquired by using "lite salt" or salt substitutes, as long as you check for the ones that have potassium chloride in them. Or by eating spinach, bananas, and other potassium-rich foods.

However, if you find that you cannot conveniently get something in coconut water and have the money to pay for the convenience of the nutrients it provides, go for it.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    I love coconut water...It's good for your skin as well... But then i usually have it when i go back to my hometown where it's cheap...I dont think it helps you lose weight or anything...because then i ought to have a bunch of skinny relatives lol....but then maybe that's why they're not obese either despite eating unhealthy....hmmmm

i just confused myself ...sorry for the rant but i just miss coconut water! :(
  • leiloob
    leiloob Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old runs cross country and she only weighs 55 pounds so I thought it would be great for her also! She hates water and I hate giving her gatorade because the kind she likes is full of red dyes. Any other ideas to keep her hydrated?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I drink it as often as I can. It is delicious! :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Look at the nutrition label. Does it have anything you need that you cannot get more conveniently or cheaply elsewhere? If so, then it's worth the money. If not, get your nutrients from cheaper and more convenient sources.

Potassium can be acquired by using "lite salt" or salt substitutes, as long as you check for the ones that have potassium chloride in them. Or by eating spinach, bananas, and other potassium-rich foods.

However, if you find that you cannot conveniently get something in coconut water and have the money to pay for the convenience of the nutrients it provides, go for it.

You can also get your daily potassium from bananas. Both are delicious. :bigsmile:
  • leiloob
    Options
    True...but bananas have a lot more calories!!!
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    My 11 year old runs cross country and she only weighs 55 pounds so I thought it would be great for her also! She hates water and I hate giving her gatorade because the kind she likes is full of red dyes. Any other ideas to keep her hydrated?

coconut water keeps you hydrated and is extremely refreshing!...especially for a runner it's something i would recommend ....

as far as weight loss again i do not know...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    True...but bananas have a lot more calories!!!

More calories than coconut water, if it doesn't have juice in it. I get the kind that has a little bit of pineapple juice in it though. It's almost like drinking a virgin pina colada, and almost as many calories as a banana. :tongue:
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I like it for post late night runs. When if I have a rockstar hydrate I don't sleep. Originally I hated it. Mostly the texture. But then I was sick one day and at the store(a mom's work is never done) and I saw one in the cooler and had to give it a 2nd try. If you are really thirst and it's really cold, they are amazing! But that's the only time. I wouldn't just drink them to have something to drink, then they gross to me. I did find I like the ONE guava or mango the best.
  • leiloob
    Options
    The one I was looking at ordering was the Vitacoco with pineapple....I can't find any where I live so I will have to order it!!!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It's worth it to me for the potassium, since the other sources I'm not a huge fan of.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'd just try one out. I hate it. I think the flavor is so bizarre. Just don't buy a big pack until you try it. I love coconut milk so I thought I'd love it. I threw it away.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Most of the coconut water out there has added stuff like sugar and all that.

To get the true coconut water you really need to get it out of a fresh, green coconut and it's really not that good.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you would think it would help with weight loss. It has electrolytes. I buy a no sugar added one fairly regularly. I drink it because it is just something easy to keep in my car and drink after a workout.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I heard an interview with a sports nutritionist on public radio a month or so ago (forget which program), and he said it is no better or worse than any other sport drink (but maybe more expensive). Additionally, he also said, if you aren't working out really hard for an hour or more, you don't really need electrolyte replacement sports drinks. Just what I heard. Seemed reasonable to me. Of course, I don't like coconut, any way you slice or drink it :-)
  • sirrys
    sirrys Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is actually the perfect re-hydration liquid. Nothing men make is even close. I would recommend though, if you are in South America or the Caribbean, to try the real thing straight from a 'young' coconut. Tastes much much better than the store bought stuff.

I recommend it but would say if you can find from the source it is cheaper and better tasting. If not the store will do.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I think it's nasty.... I was only able to take a few sips and threw the rest away.