Breakfast Foods that Keep you Going?

Options
I eat breakfast just before starting work in the morning, then am not able to eat again for about 3.5 - 4 hours. I am struggling to find something for breakfast that keeps me from getting hunger pangs around the 3 hour point.

I have tried peanut butter sandwiches (on wholemeal), yoghurt, fruit, muesli. Usually around the 300 - 350 calorie mark.
Today I made myself a big smoothie with 1/2 a cup of oatmeal, a banana, a big teaspoon of peanut butter, and a cup of low fat milk. 450 calories and I STILL got hungry too early.

Any suggestions on what to add to breakfast that will keep me going that little bit longer? I eat when I get to work so has to be something easily transported/prepared.

Getting sick of dragging myself around for that last hour feeling completely flat!

Replies

• wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This might sound gross... but I've been having scrambled eggs and cottage cheese. Sometimes three eggs with a half a cup of cottage cheese and sometimes just one egg plus two egg whites and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. I eat around 6:30am and I have a snack at 10am and it keeps me content.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I eat porridge every morning at about 7am and it fills me up until my mid morning banana at 10.30.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Two slices of brown wholegrain bread and about 40-50g of pure peanut butter. I have that at 6.30am, and it keeps me full until lunch every time.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I gues this is variable depending on the person but 2 eggs, scrambled or hard boiled plus tea and coffee (and water) keeps me going until mid day if i am not too active
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I have one egg scrambled with a half a cup of turkey sasuage on a pita thin pocket around 260 calories and it keeps me full. Yogurt used to but I found not so much anymore. So I've switched my yogurt to evening.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal is very sustaining.

or Eggs (prepared the way you like) and oatmeal.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Every morning I make a smoothie with a big scoop of protein powder, frozen berries, almond milk and some almond/peanut butter if I need extra calories. Keeps me full for hours and is SO good!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast just before starting work in the morning, then am not able to eat again for about 3.5 - 4 hours. I am struggling to find something for breakfast that keeps me from getting hunger pangs around the 3 hour point.

Another thought - why is it impossible for you to eat around the 3 hour point? Can you carry a small nonperishable like a protein bar and scarf it on the sly? Surely you have bathroom breaks at least.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

Another thought - why is it impossible for you to eat around the 3 hour point? Can you carry a small nonperishable like a protein bar and scarf it on the sly? Surely you have bathroom breaks at least.

this is what I was thinking, a hard boiled egg or piece of fruit for a snack between breakfast and lunch???
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Another vote for refrigerator oatmeal. I usually add 1 1/2 tsp of chia seeds and sometimes half a scoop of protein powder. I eat it about 8 am and that keeps me going until noon.
  • momwesting
    Options
    Hi, try adding protein to your smoothie and drink alot of water!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could use some protein. I'd try eggs or maybe even a turkey sandwich.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have 2 scrambled eggs (eggs are fast) before I leave and then bring an apple with me.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started eating porridge for breakfast (and I love it).
    I eat my breakfast at about 7.30 AM and don't eat anything until 1 PM. So far, the porridge seems to work well, as I don't really feel hungry before lunch time.

It is to be noted, though, that I do drink 1,5 liters of water, which is about 8 glasses of water. I suspect that all that water contributes in keeping the hunger at bay.

Anyway, here's my breakfast:

Porridge made with water and 40 grams of oat flakes.
    200 ml of soy milk added to the porridge
    Cinnamon (this doesn't change anything in terms of cals, but makes the porridge amazing)
    1 whole fruit. I prefer bananas, but I have anything that is seasonal.

I am Italian, though, so I don't usually eat eggs for breakfast (it's more of a lunch / dinner kind of food for us), but I suspect that eggs could also work very well.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have porridge over overnight oats with fruit and seeds, I eat between 6.30&7.30 and it keeps me going til 11.30.

However I have noticed that if I don't drink (water, green tea etc) that I will feel hungry sooner.

Hope this helps
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    In before inevitable "1,000 pounds of bacon BACON IS GOD ALL HAIL BACON" suggestion

Less bread, more protein. Pancakes, waffles, muffins, and bagels will make you feel full for a little while, but you'll be hungry again soon afterward. Eggs are really the best way to go. Or a thick, high quality yogurt. I also drink a glass of water before I eat anything in the morning.
  • amy0975
    amy0975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get to work at 8 am. I drink a cup of coffee first thing. Then around 9:30 I eat 3 boiled eggs. I have some sort of fruit around 11:30. Then I take lunch at 1 pm. I stay full till lunch and sometimes just have a small snack for lunch (string cheese and an apple). I average 1100-1200 calories a day. My eggs and coffee are a staple for my breakfast. I have tried to vary, but I need my protein in the mornings.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Weekday morning I pretty much have this smoothie consistently. Only days after extreme workouts do I get hungry before noon

4oz of coffee
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 1/2 tsp dark cocoa
    1 1/2 tsp green drink powder
    1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
    1 tsp coconut oil
    10 big ice cubes.
  • bko_11
    bko_11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Overnight Oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter keep me full until lunch time. Another option I do is 2 eggs over easy with two pieces of canadian bacon thats about 270 calories.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever ate breakfast, but after watching an interview on Kid's TV with Mo Farah ( the team Great Britain Olympic gold medal 10k and 5k champion), he swears by 'porridge', which you guys call 'oatmeal'.

I tried it and found I could run for so much longer and have made porridge a HABIT even if I'm not running. i don't care too much for putting fruit in it, but you can pretty much add whatever you like to oats for a sustaining and filling breakfast that will provide amazing low energy release goodness .