Finding it hard not to snack

Options
I'm so frustrated. I had gastric bypass 14 months ago and i got to goal weight! I was so stoked. But now I'm finding myself fall back into bad habits. I'm snacking a lot. Even on healthy snacks. What can I do to stop the snacking. I sit at a desk most of my day at work and I find myself gettgin bored.

Replies

• ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Limit yourself to what you bring each day- DON'T KEEP THINGS AT YOUR DESK! I bring two yogurts a day and maybe some nuts . But I don't keep anything in my snack drawer anymore! And also make sure you always have water by you- it helps.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated. I had gastric bypass 14 months ago and i got to goal weight! I was so stoked. But now I'm finding myself fall back into bad habits. I'm snacking a lot. Even on healthy snacks. What can I do to stop the snacking. I sit at a desk most of my day at work and I find myself gettgin bored.

Turn your snacking into your routine. That's what I did.

I pack my own lunch every day, made up of things I can easily snack on. Around 10-11AM, I just open the bag and start nibbling, and continue the nibbling process all day long.

My average lunch is:

1. Small turkey or roast beef wrap with cheese.
    2. Quart bag of various fresh crunchy vegetables.
    3. Apple
    4. Banana
    5. small (1/4 cup-ish) container with a mix of almonds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts.

The whole thing works out to about 700 calories, your allowance may vary.

I have a solid breakfast, then nibble-nibble-nibble all day long.

I don't do it for any actual metabolic reason, it's just what keeps me from getting hungry enough to make poor food choices at suppertime, and helps me resist the garbage in the vending machines at work.
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I pack my lunch bag for the day the night before. I plan on what my breakfast, lunch and dinner is going to be along with snacks inbetween. I do better if I can eat small meals all day long than just 3 big meals a day. I feel deprived this way. I eat breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks while at work. When I get home all I have is dinner. All my "work" food is packed in my lunch bag. I can choose to eat it all at once or make it last my work day. I have to be disciplined at work...these girls I work with eat out every meal and there is always junk food laying around. It can get me in BIG trouble. I try to remove myself from the tempting situations.
  • flpmomi
    flpmomi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat a good breakfast with protien, like some toast with peanut butter and maybe an apple ot banana and portion out your snacks. Again, the veggie straws are delish and you can portion them out. You could also try trail mixes with the different nuts. That's a good source of protien as well. And sip on water all day, its supposed to be an appetite supressant. Good Luck! =)
  • amberfreund831
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's so hard I don't bring snacks to work at all. I bring my breakfast and lunch sometimes. But my office has a snack pantry. It's so temting. And being that I had gastric bypass they tell us not to snack at all. Im just suppossed to eat three times a day. I did that for about 11 months and slowly the bad snacking habit came back.
  • amberfreund831
    Options
    I'm also finding that I want to snack when I'm bored at work.
  • RhoRocks
    RhoRocks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My craving for snacks, ALL kinds of snacks, went 100% away when I took wheat flour out of my diet.

I finally listened to my nutritionist and did it. I've made pizza dough with oat flour and WOW it was amazing! I eat these incredible chip things by a company called "Food Should Taste Good"... multigrain tortilla cracker-like chips. No wheat flour in them. I used to be a whole wheat eater of everything whole wheat.

Whole grain breads and foods with wheat in It raises your blood sugar then dumps you like a bad date leaving you craving and hungry. Once wheat flour was removed, I stay constantly amazed at how I don't feel that anxious feeling of craving any longer!

<shrugging> It worked well for me.

The book "Wheat Belly" is a great resource if you need scientific evidence to prove how bad wheat flour is for you.