C25K, treadmill question.

Options
For those who have done this program on a treadmill, do you change the speed on your treadmill for the running parts or just run at your walking speed? I'm always a little worried about being too clumsy to change it, plus my treadmill beeps so loudly when I hit any buttons I don't want to wake the baby, lol! I've only done it once on the treadmill so far, and once outside but I had my son in his stroller which was a little awkward. I had no problems on the treadmill, so I want to make sure I do it right...

Thanks!

Replies

• Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Bumps!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I change it. My treadmill is old....really ancient so I have to turn the speed dial to 50% to be a comfortable walking speed and then to 90% for jogging. Do whatever feels comfortable for you...maybe trying running at the speed you have set for your walking if you don't want to noise waking up the baby. And just slowly progress to a faster speed.

Good luck =D
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    I was wondering about the treadmill myself! BUMP
  • Terryism
    Options
    I change it. My treadmill is old....really ancient so I have to turn the speed dial to 50% to be a comfortable walking speed and then to 90% for jogging. Do whatever feels comfortable for you...maybe trying running at the speed you have set for your walking if you don't want to noise waking up the baby. And just slowly progress to a faster speed.

Good luck =D

Thanks, that's what I did. I did my warm up walk at 2.5mph, then the actual program at 3 mph. It's a good walking pace for me at this point, but seems a little slow for a jog, though I feel my heart rate going up.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I do 6km/h for walking and 9km/hr for running.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I change it, I walk at 3.0 and jog at 5.0, though im only on week 2, as the distances get longer, i may have to slow down, I also have it on an incline of 2% as to simulate more like running outside..
  • janine73holland
    janine73holland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have only done the first 2 weeks, so I am no expert, but you need to make it faster on the running/jogging bits.
    I do 5kph walk and 6.7kph jog.
    It is slow but I am new to jogging so it's a good speed for me at the moment.

On the c25k website it says, if you can run any slower, then you are running too fast. Slow it down!
    The speed comes later when you are used to running.

Hope this helps.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I hate doing it on the treadmill... It's boring and you don't get the full run/walk time since you are constantly flipping between walk/jogging speeds.

When I was doing C25K, I did it all outdoors.. and still run outdoors now even though I finished the program.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I change the speed. I've done it all on the treadmill. I tried outside one day and it was an epic fail, but I guess I'll have to eventually get to that point if I ever want to actually do a 5k! LOL!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I change it! I walk at 3.2MPH and run between 4.5 and 5MPH.
  • dencher
    dencher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I change it, but not drastically. I walk at 3mph and jog at 4mph. There shouldn't be a big increase in speed during the program, speed will come later after you condition yourself to actually jog the whole 5k. Each and every one of us will be different but it says GO SLOW. If you push too hard too fast you are likely to quit and speaking from experience, it's true....been there, done that 4 times. This time I'm taking the slow approach.....slow and steady wins the race don't ya know LOL.
  • Terryism
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers, I'll start changing it, (maybe I can find where the beeps come from and cover it up or something, lol). I'd love to run outside, but it's hard with a stroller unless I want to drive to a track. And I'd never fall asleep if I wait until hubby gets home at night, I just can't work out late.
  • kari_davis
    kari_davis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.7 then change it to 5.0. I haven't had complaints from my family about the noise. But I don't have a sleeping baby either. I would much rather try it outside but I live in the country and everyone just let's their dogs run free. I know you already got your answer but I just wanted to tell you good luck!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I change it, I walk at 3.0 and jog at 5.0, though im only on week 2, as the distances get longer, i may have to slow down, I also have it on an incline of 2% as to simulate more like running outside..

^I change as well. On week 9, walking at 3.5 and jogging at 5-5.3, 1% incline. Looking to improve my speed and therefore distance before my first 5K (3 1/2 weeks to go!) while keeping heart rate (with HRM) below 170.
  • Charlayray
    Charlayray Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.5 MPH and run at 8mph
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I changed it, I walked at 4.0mph and ran at 6.1mph
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I can't walk as fast as I run, so I had to adjust the speed for my running intervals. Maybe contact the manufacturer to see if there is a way to disable to sounds.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I read that when you are first starting C25K, if you're running and you can slow down, do it. Especially if you're a beginner. I tend to run faster outside than on the treadmill and always had to remind myself to slow down on the running segments. So I think that if you can jog at your walking pace go ahead and do it. You can increase speed later. Btw, I can easily jog at 4mph on my treadmill but that might be cause I'm a little short. lol
    Good luck!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I change it too. About 3.5 or a little more, then 4.6 or a little more. A little more is when I have lots of energy at the time. I personally find it easier on the treadmill because I can pace better. I couldn't complete week 4 day 1 when I was outside. I think I was way too fast. My HR on my HRM was thru the roof! But on the treadmill, I haven't stopped not once, and my HR remains within the appropriate zone.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've only done it for a short period of time, but when I was going at it I would change the speed. My treadmill has 0-9 buttons however, for I'm not exactly sure what, but they do allow you to automatically press 5 and it'll change it to 5.0mph or 3 for 3.0mph etc. Made it super easy to change back and forth.