woman...weight gain from PMS?

Options
Does anyone else notice weight gain on the scale a few days before their cycle. I just started MFP and had my third weigh in and gained back 2 pounds. I had been doing pretty good and don't see much of a change in my calorie/excercise, could this be bloating/PMS?

Thank you for your insight.

Replies

• gilbertson1
    Options
    I also see about 2 pounds added on during when aunt Flo is with me. I believe it will go away after the visit. They say watch salt to help the bloat.......I mean you'll still bloat because of Flo but less if you stay away from salt. Stay happy cuz even thou the road is rocky ...remember you are on road!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oh hell yeah. Unless you are getting married or going to prom, don't worry about it. Just keep working through it, and it will disappear immediately after.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's typical for most women to gain a few pounds of water weight at this time. It will disappear after your period.

You may also find that as your eating habits improve, you will retain less water at this time of the month. Limiting sodium, sugar and caffeine makes a big difference.
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    2-4 pounds easily. Disappears quickly afterwards
  • littletahoma
    littletahoma Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the responses...I will just attribute it to that and keep plugging away this week and hope to see my loss go back down next week ;-)
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    I too have encountered my first roadblock. As of last Wednesday I had a whopping 14 pound weight loss so far. Stepped on the scale this evening and it reflected a 6-7 gain. My TOTM is due this weekend and Im frustrated. How do you combat it? Does working out harder help decrease the water weight gain? Do I record the weight and let it reduce my weight loss amount so far? Incredibly confused and disheartened right now. Ive worked really hard and this is totally killing my efforts. :sad:
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh in that week. It is way too discouraging. >:-|
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I too have encountered my first roadblock. As of last Wednesday I had a whopping 14 pound weight loss so far. Stepped on the scale this evening and it reflected a 6-7 gain. My TOTM is due this weekend and Im frustrated. How do you combat it? Does working out harder help decrease the water weight gain? Do I record the weight and let it reduce my weight loss amount so far? Incredibly confused and disheartened right now. Ive worked really hard and this is totally killing my efforts. :sad:

For some there is no way to "combat" the bloat. I try to drink more water (which sounds kinda dumb if the weight gain is water retention) but it does work and try to stay away from sodium.

But I just remember...its TEMPORARY!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I gained 2.5 ibs this month. Its gone again now but it sucks at the time.
  • hippypippy84
    Options
    You can put on up to 4lb ... I know I do ... in just water/bloating. After a couple of days it goes back down. I just dont log that weeks weigh in and I'm always really pleased with the bigger loss the week after.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Every month. 3 days before 4 lb gain. 2 days after it starts... right back to normal. :)

No reason to even step on the scale right before it starts. Skip that weigh in. No need to torture yourself for something entirely not your fault.
  • littletahoma
    littletahoma Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some of the people here suggest to not weigh in during that time of the month, I AGREE, in the future I will be doing that because it was added stress to see the scale go up...but I guess it is all part of the journey.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    yup! it never fails, i'm always up 5 lbs during that week.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't need to see it on the scale. I feel the bloating. :frown:
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I normally go up 2-3 lbs and crave a lot of salt (which doesn't help much with the bloat factor). Some tips on having a good weigh-in; try to stop drinking water a little earlier the night before your weigh in and weight first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom. Also, taking an epsom salt bath the night before will help bring the bloat down a little bit.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes -- for sure .

Your hormones will be all over the place this week, water retention is commanly associated with the menstrual cycle.

You could gain even 5lbs during this week and none of it would be fat. Ignore the scale, go on with eating your goal calories and light exercise.

What helps the bloating: eating whole grains , veggies, lean meats, e.i. a lot of healthy foods with low sodium lol
    stick to some exercise, drink a bunch of water.

:)
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i go up 5-7 pounds!
    its nothing to worry about though because i know it will be gone by the end of the week.
  • RychelleD
    RychelleD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. After seeing the responses I feel better to woman typically gain during their cycle as well. Good call on not weighing in that week !
  • ndriedger
    ndriedger Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    One way for it not to be so disappointing, is check and see what you weighed on your last lady curse. And see how much you weigh a month ago. Always helps for me to realize how much I actually lost. So instead of being upset about the couple pound gain, I'm celebrating a loss.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    2rmxyzc.jpg