How much cardio vs. strength should I do for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• likemeinvisible
    Options
    Cardio burns fat. Keep the strength to once a week, it doesn't burn fat.

You might want to do some research in to any study in the last 10 years concerning your claim.

Cardio during the workout burns 60% or more carbs as energy in the fat-burning zone, unless you only walk, then you might get 50/50 carbs/fat. All the way up to 100% carbs if doing max effort. Ever hear of anaerobic? Look up, interesting facts.

Lifting burns brief carbs during the workout and post workout fat during recovery.

For time taken, lifting will burn more fat overall when you count the whole day.

When I say cardio I mean aerobic, in other words, using oxygen to burn fat. The muscle will switch from glycogen to fat during the workout, the longer it is the more fat will be used as an energy source. I agree that it takes a certain time for cardio to be effective. I don't know if lifting is better, could you point me to a source to further my education ?

edit: I uploaded a current pic, the one with the grey pants.
    <--- that's my pulse at rest. That's why it's called cardio.

Thats cool and all, but weight training still burns more fat than cardio. Not only does it burn more fat, it also maintains your metabolic rate over time and prevents catabolization of lean body mass. The link below is fairly good to read.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx

I couldn't find the article quoted there but there are flaws in that research. Still that was NOT weight training but intense intermittent exercise on a bicycle. Could cite a proper lifting vs. cardio research ?
    To prevent catabolization of lean body mass you need to eat at a surplus, may even gain a little fat.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

<
    fat burned with strength training. So I call bull**** on that advice
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Without knowing what you're eating (your diary is closed) and specifically what exercises you're doing it's difficult to make any specific recommendations but in general terms if you're working out 4 times per week 2 of them should be fairly intense cardio (forget the "fat burning" zone) and the other 2 strength.

Why??

A larger deficit is not necessary better, so if you can find your sweet spot for deficit, then why do you need cadio to lose weight at all?

The risk in having too large of a deficit due to diet and cardio would be that you would lose a larger % of lean muscle vs. fat, compared to a smaller deficit with or without cardio.

Weight training does not burn more fat than cardio. Low intensity c ardio utilizes the aerobic energy system which uses predominately fat and some carbohydrates as fuel. The more intense the activity the more your body switches to using carbohydrates as fuel. However, anaerobic (i.e. sprinting, lifting weights) is also extremely benefical for weight loss because it boosts your metabolism throughout the day. Also if you weight train AND do cardio you get the best of both worlds and your body uses the food you eat more effectively.

As far as the original post is concerned, for weight loss you really want to do both. It's hard to say how much you specifically need without knowing your training habits. A generic fat loss program would look something like this

5 minutes warm up
    Dynamic Stretches
    20 minutes cardio (interval training)
    45 minutes weight lifting
    5 minute cool down
    static stretches
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I couldn't find the article quoted there but there are flaws in that research. Still that was NOT weight training but intense intermittent exercise on a bicycle. Could cite a proper lifting vs. cardio research ?
    To prevent catabolization of lean body mass you need to eat at a surplus, may even gain a little fat.

You do NOT have to eat a calorie surplus to maintain lean body mass. Protein and heavy weight training can prevent catabolization.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

You might want to do some research in to any study in the last 10 years concerning your claim.

Cardio during the workout burns 60% or more carbs as energy in the fat-burning zone, unless you only walk, then you might get 50/50 carbs/fat. All the way up to 100% carbs if doing max effort. Ever hear of anaerobic? Look up, interesting facts.

Lifting burns brief carbs during the workout and post workout fat during recovery.

For time taken, lifting will burn more fat overall when you count the whole day.

When I say cardio I mean aerobic, in other words, using oxygen to burn fat. The muscle will switch from glycogen to fat during the workout, the longer it is the more fat will be used as an energy source. I agree that it takes a certain time for cardio to be effective. I don't know if lifting is better, could you point me to a source to further my education ?

I fail to see the point you were trying to make... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't glycogen aka CARBS? So you basically just made the previous posters point. And I also don't see the point of your resting pulse rate....

Yes you burn carbs. And fat. All I claimed is that you burn fat, I didn't say you don't burn carbs. He didn't have a point, just said that cardio burns lots of carbs. That does not refute my claim.
    There was no point to the pulse rate remark, so I'll shall make one now:) Doing cardio over time will adapt your muscles to using more fat than glycogen as energy source,more mitochondria, better fatty acid moblization etc.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Without knowing what you're eating (your diary is closed) and specifically what exercises you're doing it's difficult to make any specific recommendations but in general terms if you're working out 4 times per week 2 of them should be fairly intense cardio (forget the "fat burning" zone) and the other 2 strength.

Why??

A larger deficit is not necessary better, so if you can find your sweet spot for deficit, then why do you need cadio to lose weight at all?

The risk in having too large of a deficit due to diet and cardio would be that you would lose a larger % of lean muscle vs. fat, compared to a smaller deficit with or without cardio.

Weight training does not burn more fat than cardio. Low intensity c ardio utilizes the aerobic energy system which uses predominately fat and some carbohydrates as fuel. The more intense the activity the more your body switches to using carbohydrates as fuel. However, anaerobic (i.e. sprinting, lifting weights) is also extremely benefical for weight loss because it boosts your metabolism throughout the day. Also if you weight train AND do cardio you get the best of both worlds and your body uses the food you eat more effectively.

As far as the original post is concerned, for weight loss you really want to do both. It's hard to say how much you specifically need without knowing your training habits. A generic fat loss program would look something like this

5 minutes warm up
    Dynamic Stretches
    5 minute cool down
    static stretches

That is not what my fat loss program looked like at all. You're saying do HIIT before lifting? I think not.

Here is an idea. Do a proper beginner weight routine. Add in as much or as little cardio as you feel like doing. Do the exact same every week. Adjust your calorie intake until desired weight loss per week is achieved. Readjust as needed. Success guaranteed.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Why??

5 minutes warm up
    Dynamic Stretches
    5 minute cool down
    static stretches

I don't think weight training burns much fat, what it does is help you retain your lean muscle in a deficit, so you lose weight on due to this deficit (mostly fat due to the strength training) that way you are a lower BF% at every weight than you would be without strength training. Meaning at your goal weight you will have a lower BF%..
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

<
    fat burned with strength training. So I call bull**** on that advice

<
    fat burned with trolling this forum for two weeks with a strained calf and not eating properly.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Bad advice.
    Could cite a proper lifting vs. cardio research ?
    Read up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

time to get up close and personal with a barbell :)

I know I don't look good, I didn't claim that cardio makes me pretty, just that it burns fat.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

I don't think weight training burns much fat, what it does is help you retain your lean muscle in a deficit, so you lose weight on due to this deficit (mostly fat due to the strength training) that way you are a lower BF% at every weight than you would be without strength training. Meaning at your goal weight you will have a lower BF%..

I agree with this. Weightlifting is not about burning calories or burning fat while you do it. It is about gaining strength and maintaining muscle. If you are maintaining a vast majority of your muscle while in a calorie deficit then the majority of weight loss will be from body fat. Muscle is also expensive calorie wise to maintain. Meaning you will simple burn more calories just from having the muscle on you.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Switch to doing circuit training 3x per week (non consecutive days)

Circuit Training can be any weight training but add in 1-2 minutes of cardio between each set
    Change up your cardio for each exercise (jump rope, jogging in place, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpies (squat thrusts with the jump at the end), jumping squats, jumping lunges, skaters, anything that is going to get your heart rate up.

Then you can add some cardio in on other days (doesn't have to be high impact; could be swimming, walking, etc) for 2-3 of the alternate days.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/353179-womens-circuit-training/

I don't know your level of fitness; but you can start with the Mudderling (beginner) and modify any of the exercises you cannot do (if you need help with a modification, feel free to e-mail me and I will help you with that).

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

You must be a troll
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

time to get up close and personal with a barbell :)

I know I don't look good, I didn't claim that cardio makes me pretty, just that it burns fat.

Weight training burns more:
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/strength-training-for-weight-loss/
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Switch to doing circuit training 3x per week (non consecutive days)

Circuit Training can be any weight training but add in 1-2 minutes of cardio between each set
    Change up your cardio for each exercise (jump rope, jogging in place, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpies (squat thrusts with the jump at the end), jumping squats, jumping lunges, skaters, anything that is going to get your heart rate up.

Then you can add some cardio in on other days (doesn't have to be high impact; could be swimming, walking, etc) for 2-3 of the alternate days.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/353179-womens-circuit-training/

I don't know your level of fitness; but you can start with the Mudderling (beginner) and modify any of the exercises you cannot do (if you need help with a modification, feel free to e-mail me and I will help you with that).

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/

This may work BUT you don't have to do this. All you need is a deficit, strength training to maintain the muscle, and time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Weightlifting is not about burning calories or burning fat while you do it. It is about gaining strength and maintaining muscle. If you are maintaining a vast majority of your muscle while in a calorie deficit then the majority of weight loss will be from body fat. Muscle is also expensive calorie wise to maintain. Meaning you will simple burn more calories just from having the muscle on you.

Those are only two aspects of it actually. Another effect is known as "afterburn" or EPOC.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Bad advice.
    Could cite a proper lifting vs. cardio research ?
    Read up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826

The article shows the effect on lean body weight, not on fat burn. I guess they didn't write that on the abstract because the aerobic group lost more weight:)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, reduce calories. Unless you have special goals, I would do two or three full-body strength training sessions a week (not exhaustive, but hitting all the main areas) and spend the rest of the time on cardio. You might try doing interval work as part of your cardio workout.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I workout four times a week. I've been alternating each time doing cardio, then strength, then cardio, etc. But I'm not seeing any results with weight loss and have been doing this for at least three weeks. I know there are lots of other variables, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to how much of each I should be doing for weight loss purposes. I'd like to continue doing the same amount of both each week, but how do I know if this is right for me?

Your input is greatly appreciated!
    :) Lisa

Exercise is for overall fitness.....calorie deficit is for weight loss. Find your calorie goal and stick to it like glue and you will lose!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Just throwing in this little bit of clarity. Yes, I like to split hairs, but in this case, I think it's important.

Exercise of any sort doesn't burn fat or muscle or whatever else. It burns calories. Where those calories comes from is dependent on a variety of things, but most significantly the fuel source that is most readily available. This will largely be determined by your diet in the 24 (or so) hours leading up to the exercise.

I'm not really going to go much further than that... for the people who agree, I don't need to explain further... and the people who don't aren't open minded enough to have an intelligent conversation with.