What do you count as water?

Options

Replies

• opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Your argument is that you can count tea as water because there is water IN tea. There's water IN cake too, but you don't log that as water.

Cake is made from eggs, butter, milk, flour, sugar....

Tea is literally boiled water and a bag of dried leaves.

:indifferent:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Water. That's it.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Water and gravy
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Water and gravy

I heard that gravy has negative calories...
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    this! :)
    plain and simple, just water. I don't count coffee, or anything. If I have the occasional crystal light or something like that I count it as water, but I don't really like them, very powdery.
    In short, water is what I log as water :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    just water of flavored water.
    Coffee or tea doesn't count....
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water. Weight Watchers, if I remember right, let you count a certain number of ounces a day of iced tea, Crystal Light, etc. as your water. But it was a small part of the overall amount they wanted you to drink. I've just kind of maintained the mentality that it doesn't get counted as water unless it's plain old water.

However, I've gotten some good feedback on here today about the fact I'm not tracking all my beverages on MFP. I haven't been tracking Diet Pepsi, not because I don't want anyone to know I'm drinking it (I have an open food diary to my friends) but because I guess I just didn't think it mattered. Perhaps I need to rethink that.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I count anything water based. So water, tea and that's pretty much it for me.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Water, unsweetened green tea, and protein powder with water added. But I always add the calories.
  • guildwars1987
    guildwars1987 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The only thing I count as water is water and what I add to it, i.e. N.O.Xplode, Whey Protein, Powdered Drink Mix
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am an awesome fake tap dancer.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    .it is possible to become dehydrated from drinking excessive sports drink due to the concentration of electrolytes.
    No it's not; at least not with the conventional Gatorade or whatnot (maybe if you concocted your own mix with tons and tons of salts). It is in fact possible (and happens in many races) to become hyponatremic from excessive sports drink consumption.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise_26.html
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I count water only, including when i add flavor packs.

However, i also add the calories for the flavor packs

I do not count tea, coffee or milk as "water" mostly because i dont drink them. :laugh:

I ONLY drink WATER (and beer on cheat days!) - no, i dont count that as my "water" intake, but my water intake is way higher on Sunday! lol
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I'm curious what types of drinks everyone counts toward the daily water intake. Flor myself, I count water (with or without crystal light, etc.), milk, coffee, tea and my powerade zeroes. I haven't been counting any of the occasional diet sodas or slim-fast type products I may drink.

Does anyone count anything additional or purposely exclude any of the above?

Thanks,
    Mike

Why on Earth would you count milk as water?
  • KodiakAndrea
    Options
    I log water as water, coffee as coffee, any soda, poweraid, etc as whatever it is. water is water.
  • chirichardson
    chirichardson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    just water.... (Which I get from sonic...because their ice is yummy and it makes my brain think I'm having something forbidden LOL)

I love the ice from Sonic. Also, if you have a Lenny's in your area, their ice is yummy also.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water toward my daily water consumption totals. All other beverages are logged with my meals and snacks. Keep in mind that flavored beverages also contain sodium and sometimes added vitamins and minerals. Get in the habit of logging everything into your food diary, so that you can get an accurate picture of your nutritional profile.

Edited to add:
    Crystal Light does have calories, so that needs to be tracked as part of the food log. I guess sparkling water would also count as water.

I hate plain water!! So I've been using sugar free crystal light type stuff. I was shocked by how much sodium was in a serving. :grumble:
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Seriously you guys? A hamburger can hydrate you. I spent my entire teenage life drinking nothing but soda and eating chips. NO ****ING WATER. EVER. NOT EVEN IF THERE WAS A FIRE!

I drink water now... but seriously I wasn't dead I had to be getting water somewhere.

Things that hydrate you:
    Fruits, chicken breast, soups n broth n ****, juice, sports drinks, jell-o

The counter is there to help you out not make that **** complicated.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    plain or sparkling water
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to argue my point. Heres a lil .gov for you to look at before you reply.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/water.html

U.S. National Library of Medicine
    NIH. MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    THE CDC!!!!

Please listen to organizations who actually do original research on this stuff.