What's Your Opinion On Olive Oil?

Options
After seeing the high calorie density of olive oil, and the fat content, I have been wary of using it. Is it still okay to consume on a low Carb diet with restricted Calories? Or is there better options?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,096 Member
    Options
    It's the best oil to use for low heat cooking.

If you are going low carb, you need to increase your fats by a lot. Because what else are your choices? Protein? All low carb plans include a lot of fats. :ohwell: You need them!
  • K_Train450
    K_Train450 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing something similar to this. Thanks!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I personally recommend coconut oil. Olive is a great oil and will not hurt, but help your health if eaten. As long as you can fit healthy oils into your diet while staying reasonable with your calorie goals then go for it.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Okay, so that being said, my fats are set at 45%, Protein 25%, and Carbs 30%. I feel much better with lower carbs ( not LOW low) and lots of fat. I'm at my maintenance weight, and have been for five years.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    After seeing the high calorie density of olive oil, and the fat content, I have been wary of using it. Is it still okay to consume on a low Carb diet with restricted Calories? Or is there better options?

"Oil" is another name for "liquid fat". All or almost all oils are pretty much 100% fat.

Having said that, dietary fat is not your enemy, and olive oil is a good source of a decent-quality dietary fat. As long as you are not exceeding your goals for fat, drizzle on the olive oil!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Okay, so that being said, my fats are set at 45%, Protein 25%, and Carbs 30%. I feel much better with lower carbs ( not LOW low) and lots of fat. I'm at my maintenance weight, and have been for five years.

Holy crap!! That is really really low protein!!!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Use it, eat it, love it!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is healthy fats anyway, so its fine. I cook with it every single day in life (and i use quite a bit sometimes depending on what i'm cooking) I also use olive oil spread instead of butter and i've lost 48lbs so far since Feb of this year.

Jx
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is one the heathiest oils you can cook with.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's the best oil to use for low heat cooking.

If you are going low carb, you need to increase your fats by a lot. Because what else are your choices? Protein? All low carb plans include a lot of fats. :ohwell: You need them!

Ditto. Olive oil is also great for making your own salad dressings, too. Don't be put off by fats; they're essential for good health and will help you lose weight, actually, by providing the nutrients you need and helping you feel fuller.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It's delicious and will help you absorb nutrients from greens and veggies. Always add a little fat to your salads, as the body needs it to carry the phytonutrients into your cells.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    It's the only oil I use. Polyunsaturated oils are linked to cancer.
  • K_Train450
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone. Personally I try to have my ratios as 60% protein, 25 % fats, and the rest as carbs(15%). I have heard conflicting things about adding more fat on a low Carb diet so I was just wondering.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Use it, eat it, love it!
    ^^^ This
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone. Personally I try to have my ratios as 60% protein, 25 % fats, and the rest as carbs(15%). I have heard conflicting things about adding more fat on a low Carb diet so I was just wondering.

Where did you hear this?
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    I personally love olive oil, but I too cringe when I see the calorie content. I don't worry so much about the fat because it is a heart healthy fat and we need the food fats in our diets. That being said, I use it in moderation.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Holy crap!! That is really really low protein!!!

Not really - the site will default to 15%, so I actually increased it by 10%. That gets me to about 100g a day. Plenty for a woman at goal weight - I don't lift heavy...That setting also leaves me with about 110g Carbs. The rest fat. I have a hard time getting that much protein without feeling stuffed.

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I love olive oil, especially extra virgin olive oil. It has good fats, great for low heat cooking and adds incredible flavor to food.

Good oil for high heat cooking is safflower oil. Just as healthy.
  • K_Train450
    Options

Where did you hear this?
    It's more of the fact that I need to clean up my "fat" eating habits and start adding in more healthy fats. Personally my doctor told me to go low Carb AND low fat, which I disagree with totally, but I tend to eat meat-based fat alot and this will cause problems down the road unfortunatel y

Edit: so as far as I can see, Olive Oil is the way to go!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I personally recommend coconut oil. Olive is a great oil and will not hurt, but help your health if eaten. As long as you can fit healthy oils into your diet while staying reasonable with your calorie goals then go for it.

I agree coconut oil is a great option, but you have to be careful because it has alot of saturated fat. I buy the organic coconut oil from traders and it has 12g of saturated fat. Olive oil I believe only has one or two.

I do low carb also and do use olive oil, just like anything though, watch how much you are using because it is very easy to use more then one tbsp at a time if not measuring.

I just posted a question about the amount of fat other low carbers eat, I know if you do a style similar to south beach, I don't believe the fat is supposed to be that high. They promote lean proteins and good fats, where as it seems atkins style promotes eating any kind of fat, but not sure it that is the greatest if you are consuming a large amount of saturated fat. Still working out the kinks with that lol