Christmas Vacation with the inlaws -- advice?

Options
Okay, so last night the inlaws talked the hubby and I into joining them for a vacation to San Diego over Christmas. We will be leaving Dec. 23rd and returning Dec. 27th. I've only been on my good eating/exercise plan for 4 days! I DO NOT want to screw up.

As far as exercise goes, I will be taking my laptop so I can play my 30 day shred DVD every morning -- plus there will be walking around the beach and the parks to keep me active, which is nice.

Food wise, I'm more concerned. The hubby and I are staying in a hotel (the inlaws are staying with granny). It looks like we will possibly have a fridge, microwave and coffeemaker in the hotel room. I am thinking that once we get there, I'll hit a grocery store and stock up on some fruits and vegies -- bananas, apples, carrot sticks, grape tomatoes -- and some protein bars, maybe some nuts and low-fat string cheese -- things I can eat in the room or carry with while we're out and about. I'm also considering instant oatmeal for breakfast (to keep us out of the hotel cafe -- better for our waistlines AND our budget), and the possibility of boiling up some eggs at granny's to have at the hotel (-if- we have a fridge).

Meals with the family are going to be more of a challenge -- I'm expecting doughnuts, pizza and fast food to be the general offerings, and that doesn't include Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner. If the hubby and I eat breakfast at the hotel (oatmeal and fruit -- maybe eggs or string cheese) at least that's one meal a day over which I have some control. Other than that, all I can think to do is watch my portions while eating with the family.

Any suggestions of other travel/hotel friendly healthy faire would be great -- as well as any tips for dealing with being pressured to eat junk or to overindulge. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks so much for reading this!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Lots of booze :wink:

Does the hotel have a gym or indoor pool?
    Try to eat small meals where there are poor choices.
    Snack before those meals on veggies.
    Request some healthy sides (veggies, salads, whatnot) with each meal and load up on those.

Enjoy your time!!
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Lots of booze :wink:

Ha! :laugh:

Thanks for the reply, Phoenix! I believe the hotel has a gym, not 100% certain -- I'll certainly give it a go if it does!
    And you're right about loading up on the veggies -- great idea.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    You might even share with them your weight loss goals. Let them know that you are trying to eat more healthy, and that while you can still enjoy a slice or two of pizza, you feel some green beans as a side would make it better suited to your weight loss goal. Keep baggies of fresh veggies and dips (or whatever you like), yogurts or string cheeses handy, so when they began munching on chips and other bag snacks, you can eat on yours and not feel deprived or hungry. Grapes and carrots are easily transported, as are many other veggies. I'm not sure of your plans/day trips/ etc but you may want to take an insulated lunch box so that you can keep all your goodies on you or transport them more easily to whatever house you are visiting.