Planet Fitness

Options
I just got a job in a new area so my days of using my old university gym are over. I started looking at options here (they have Golds, Planet Fitness and Crossfit) and so far I'm leaning towards Planet Fitness. What does everyone think? Any personal stories from members? Just want to make sure I'm making a good choice :) Thanks!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and how you plan to work out. I have no personal experience, but I see a lot of people talking about how they do not allow loud noise or power lifting, so it would not be for me.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and how you plan to work out. I have no personal experience, but I see a lot of people talking about how they do not allow loud noise or power lifting, so it would not be for me.

Not true, at least not at my PF. You will get people who tell you they don't allow deadlifts, squats, etc. and that is pure rubbish. We deadlift all the time. I do squats, I lift heavy and there are some guys who are in really good shape that go to our gym. They do have that "lunk alarm" but the people who work at my gym don't like to use it so they won't unless someone is being really obnoxious.

The issue that some people have is that the weights don't go up that high, there's not a lot of weight equipment etc. but since they're independently owned it depends on the branch. We don't have a squat rack or anything like that and the dumbbells go up to 65 lbs but for me that's fine right now. The gym suits my needs. I say check it out. You can't beat the price and if it works for you then go for it.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience at my local Golds Gym...though that may not be indicative of every Golds Gym...ours sucked.

I use PF and I'm pretty happy with it...the staff are usually very friendly. A gym is a gym...I prefer PF to Golds...better equipment, nicer people...more selection with television...though usually I just watch Hulu.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Not true, at least not at my PF. You will get people who tell you they don't allow deadlifts, squats, etc. and that is pure rubbish. We deadlift all the time. I do squats, I lift heavy and there are some guys who are in really good shape that go to our gym. They do have that "lunk alarm" but the people who work at my gym don't like to use it so they won't unless someone is being really obnoxious.

The issue that some people have is that the weights don't go up that high, there's not a lot of weight equipment etc. but since they're independently owned it depends on the branch. We don't have a squat rack or anything like that and the dumbbells go up to 65 lbs but for me that's fine right now. The gym suits my needs. I say check it out. You can't beat the price and if it works for you then go for it.

Apparently different ones are different. It is definitely true at some. I have seen some people say the ones they go to have no barbells at all.
  • MsKael
    Options
    We love our Planet Fitness. It's $10 a month with no contract and 24 hours from Sunday - Friday
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The one that is closest to your house or work depending on where you would leave from and go workout. If it's close, the one with the most convienient hours.

There is a 24/7 planet fitness a 30 second drive from my house (or a 5 minute walk). I'd be hard pressed to go anywhere else. Especially at the price and because I can go to ANY PF anywhere on my black card. I can also bring in a guest and I get to use the massage chair and if I felt like doing it, I could tan. All for 20 bucks a month.

If I decide to start swimming I need another gym, but I don't know about that yet.
  • kristothae
    Options
    Thanks everyone! They're the same distance (Golds and Planet) and both hours are convenient so I'm still debating. From what I hear though Planet is cheaper (can't beat $10 a month!)
  • erinn43
    erinn43 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Price is key and what you need. PF is no nonsense basics. The equipment is there- you need to go and use it. Golds will cost more BUT will have both machines, AND classes. All depends on you. I have a membership to PF= $10
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    PF is "adequate". I was a member for a year. Once I graduated to needing more than an elliptical machine, I found a new gym (a local chain that is much cleaner and offers lots of classes). But it did the trick for me while I was losing weight.
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and for me, it's great! 24/7, cheap and it has what I need! The staff is great and very helpful when you need them! Hopefully you find one for you! :)
  • Abstract_Vixen
    Abstract_Vixen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined Planet Fitness about a month ago. I love it so far. You get it, put in work, and get out! There's no judgement, everyone's doing their own thing. I think it's a good gym for a beginner who may be a lil self concious like I was. It's a great atmosphere.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    PF was very convenient for me. 5 mins from the house and on my way home from work too. For $10/month, you can't go wrong. And I can go really early (5:30am) before work if I need to.
  • rllewell
    Options
    PF recently had a great deal advertized in my area so I compared them to where I've been going for the last 2+ years, Gold’s Gym. Understand I workout 5-6 days a week first thing in the morning and then I go straight to work so my values can be very different than yours.

PF had the better price per month
    PF was a larger facility
    PF had more cardio/elliptical machines
    GG had personal TV's on each cardio/elliptical machines (PF TV's all on one wall)
    GG had more weights and weightlifting area
    GG had more ab machines and ab/stretching area
    GG had free workout towels
    GG had a shower towel service ($10 a month)
    GG was closer to work and home

In my opinion PF markets to folks that are just starting out and promote their "Judgment Free Zone" philosophy which they claim is present at other gyms. Personally I don't see that at my GG but what do I know, I'm a guy focused on my workout! If you are basically looking for a club to do mostly cardio/elliptical workouts and light weights then PF would be a good choice.

I don't have any info/opinion on Crossfit.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I've used Planet Fitness for years and overall I like it. You can't beat the price! The machines are generally new, their circuit training area is a great idea, and they do have a nice weight room. It is the "no judgment zone" so they do not allow loud grunting, and I believe they have a max on their weights (not something I could ever use anyway). Overall, I don't think they restrict your weight lifting. I have sees meat heads lifting heavy, so I'm sure they're not complaining either. Cons? They don't have scales to weigh yourself, they do "pizza night" and "bagel morning" once a month which I avoid, and they don't have group classes which I love!
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    One thing to remember though is that they are individually owned so the amount of equipment there will depend on who owns it. The PF that I go to has one cable tower, no squat rack and a bunch of smith machines. Other PF's miles from where I live have squat racks, more than one cable tower and a few other things.

Also I think the sounding of the alarm depends on the people who work there. Like I said at my gym they don't pull the alarm. I can count on one hand the amount of times it's been pulled in the year I've been going there.

Yes, they do have pizza and bagels once a week but it's not something you have to participate in. What I like is the price as well as the fact that I can go as a guest. The other gym my husband went to where my sister is the manager I had to pay the $12 for the day pass every time I went and that was once, maybe twice a week. That adds up after a while and it wasn't worth it to me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The Gold's by my place was the best gym I'd ever been a member at. It had everything I wanted in a gym, and after my health insurance it was $15 a month. Personal TV's on the cardio machines, but the cool thing was the "cardio cinema". They had a movie theater in the gym with 50 or so pieces of cardio equipment. I believe they had 70 pieces of cardio equipment, and basically two or three of each machine, plus classes.

I think they got pushed out by a LARGE chain.

EDIT
    I had never heard of the "judgement free zone" until now, so I had to look it up. Is that a joke?
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Apparently different ones are different. It is definitely true at some. I have seen some people say the ones they go to have no barbells at all.

It's true. Mine only had some pre-weighted barbells up to 50 pounds. If you want to lift more you have to use the Smith machine which you can't deadlift and not the best for squats. They don't have personal trainers (except groups) or any classes like zumba etc. But with that said, for me they are open 24/7 and most holidays. I can't beat the $10 a month.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've been going to a Gold's for years. It was bought a couple years ago but literally all they did was slap a new sign out front. I pay $30 per month and I love the individual TVs on cardio machines. They have lots of stretching areas, a women's only area that I love, and good classes. I've never tried PF but I haven't heard bad things from friends.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

It's true. Mine only had some pre-weighted barbells up to 50 pounds. If you want to lift more you have to use the Smith machine which you can't deadlift and not the best for squats. They don't have personal trainers (except groups) or any classes like zumba etc. But with that said, for me they are open 24/7 and most holidays. I can't beat the $10 a month.

I've dead lifted with the smith machine and I do my squats on it as well.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

I've dead lifted with the smith machine and I do my squats on it as well.

Not really good things to do.