Anyone else have Scale Fear?

Options
I haven't been on a scale since just after Thanksgiving last year when I had my annual checkup. I hated that in two years time I gained close to 30 pounds. And that was with being active and going to the gym 3+ times a week ( comfort eating FTL!)

Well, now I"m scared to get on the scale. I do still work out, and I"m trying to get my eating better, but every day, it's starting at me in the face in the bathroom, and I can't force myself to get on it. I keep saying, after a real good week of eating, I'll get on it, but I never do. Usually cause I end up swaying off plan a day or two.

Ugh, I"m just so PO'd at myself that I didnt' stick with this, I was 7 freaking pounds away from losing 100 and I BLEW it. =(

Replies

• GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I hear ya. Everytime I fall of the wagon and then get back on, I wait about a week into my plan to get on the scale, and then I'll weigh at a weird time, like midnight, when I know I'll weigh super heavy just to get it over with so the next morning when I step on again its not so bad. Lol! I did that a few nights ago. It had been since July and I was starting a challenge...weighed in at midnight at 237.8 and then the next morning at 234. My best advice, just get it over with, like ripping a bandaid off really quick. And then, from there you can move on. Worst case senario...you gained a billion lbs.
  • andreakursten
    Options
    I used to hate getting on a scale too. But at one point, I started to feel that whatever I see on the scale at that moment is not what's important in long term. I realized that with my one year long diet plan, of course my weight's going to fluctuate a little. So now whenever I see my weight gone up a pound or two from the week before, I shrug it off and actually use that as a motivation to make the next week a healthier one. My goal now is to see an overall down slope of my weight rather than an impossible linear down slope. Before I started feeling this way, I sometimes didn't weight myself every week on purpose when I felt too heavy on a measure in day and waited out for two to three weeks until I felt lighter and confident. After doing this for a while, I reached peace with getting on a scale. :)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I definitely have scale fear. I still put too much importance on the number and flip out if I've gained, even if I have every reason to believe it's only 1 pound of water weight.

I don't own a scale so I've been able to deal with it this time by only weighing once or twice a month and I have to drive 20 minutes to my mom's house to use her scale. I still do it early in the morning before eating. It's less stressful to me to measure my body with my tape measure once a week to track my progress.

Edited to correct spelling mistake.
  • syllables
    syllables Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I"m just so PO'd at myself that I didnt' stick with this, I was 7 freaking pounds away from losing 100 and I BLEW it. =(

You didn't blow ANYTHING. There will be ups and downs, but so long as you have more downs than ups you are doing it right. Please don't beat yourself up too much, there are plenty of people in the world more than happy to do this for you. Be your own cheerleader and before you step on the scale recognize and congratulate yourself for all the forward progress you have made so far.

And don't be afraid of a number. A number can't hurt you.
  • janaq2003
    janaq2003 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lately it seems I keep falling off! Ive done this before..I know I can lose the weight... Im just in sabotage mode. i dont know whats wrong with me other than just plain ol stupid for doing this. I do well for a few days and then all the sudded I lose my mind!!!! And I tjink I am hormonal..been eating candy and salty stuff like crazy!!
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I still can't bring myself to step onto the damn scale. It's not the I'm scared of what the number is ( ok, maybe a bit scared ) but more angry at myself that allowed myself to regain 30+ pounds.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh God, I literally just blogged about this - feel your pain.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mogletdeluxe/view/the-fear-422173
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I hear what you're saying.... I remember being around 200 and then going back up to 230 and I just wanted to cry for all the months of lost work... but you have to use that to keep yourself focused on what you want... whether you step on the scale or not the weight either is or isn't there...... best to pick your worst case scenario, add it to your last weigh in and just do it!.... you might just be surprized... and if you're not... then it's a good reason to get back on the wagon and stick to it!

Good luck :)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I ain't afraid of no scale! :bigsmile: