What should I eat before and after a morning run?

Options
I'm not a runner, so I'm just starting out. It'll probably actually be more of a walk/jog/run starting out...at least until I build up some endurance.

I know I shouldn't eat anything heavy, but I feel like I should eat SOMETHING because honestly, I have unofficial blood-sugar issues if I haven't eaten in a long time and then become active, I get "sick".

Anyway, so what will be enough to power through a 30-60 minute walk/jog/run? How soon before I do it should I eat? And what should I eat afterwards? I'm assuming protein, but can you give me some examples because I don't usually eat breakfast til I get to work and it's usually a smart ones breakfast meal (scrambled eggs) or emerald's breakfast on the go or peanut butter toast or something along those lines.

If I'm just doing something light in the morning, than a small glass of orange juice is usually enough. Is orange juice enough for this?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It takes a little trial and error, perhaps a glass of juice and a banana? ( a bit more once you start hitting 60 min probably)

Personally I run in a fasted state most days but have never had issues with blood sugar and eat a high enough % of my calories from carbs that I don't feel unduly tired running up to 10km (training pace, not race pace) without eating anything first.

Post run I usually just eat my usual breakfast, if you want something immediately chocolate milk is great for recovery (4:1 carbs/protein ratio)
  • caseye98
    caseye98 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wanted to kind of know what people do too. I actually do Yoga in the mornings first, 30 minutes, and then drink about 16-20 ounces of water then head out. I'm out about an hour but don't really feel hungry at all. Then, I come in and eat 1/2 cup of scrambled egg beaters. I don't feel like maybe I am getting enough to "heal" my muscles though because I do end up being sore a bit some of the day.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    hi I run early in the morning and I just have a cup of milky tea before,this is probably all wrong but I just cant eat before I run,I eat a good breakfast after,what about a banana? I dont know if this is enough,Id say what you are comfrtable with,best of luck!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i usually eat toast with peanut butter. the last 5k race i did i had plain scrambled eggs on a flour tortilla and water.