Soo..How do you like YOUR tilapia

Options
ashdred
ashdred Posts: 95 Member
Making a bulk purchase today, swimming around for ideas.

Replies

• AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Deep fried with chips... but ok, not such a great plan for me this year. So broiled with lemon, salt and pepper or then broken up and used in fish taco! yummy! If I know taco is their destiny lightly sprinkle with cumin/chili powder or cajun spice mix. I'm not super picky.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    a little olive oil in a pan on the stove and some spicy Ms. Dash.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Grilled with some lemon and pepper
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I broil two ways that are my favorite...dipped in bread crumbs that have some cajun seasoning mixed in(no dipping it in anything first...just straight into the bread crumbs after I rinse them off), or with a parmesan cheese/butter mixture on top. The second also has garlic and a few other spices.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Pan fried with lemon panko breading and a lemon cream sauce, which is pretty obviously not terribly healthy.

My second favorite is Creole Tilapia. I usually add just a smidge more salt than the recipe calls for.

Ingredients
    4 tilapia fillets (6 ounces each)
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1 teaspoon Creole seasoning

Directions
    Place tilapia in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, green pepper, onion and Creole seasoning; pour over the fillets.
    Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Yield: 4 servings.

Editor's Note: The following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.

Nutritional Facts
    1 fish fillet with 1/3 cup topping equals 166 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 488 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
    Originally published as Creole Baked Tilapia in Simple & Delicious July/August 2008, p28
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Fresh shredded ginger, garlic, chopped onions, franks hot sauce, spicy mustard, low sodium soy sauce, medium hot sauce, dash of ketchup.

Mix pour over thawed tilapia in baking dish cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Shred with fork and serve over brown rice.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten it. Is it that different from other fish? I normally pan-fry my fish. I will be interested to see some recipes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    a little olive oil in a pan on the stove and some spicy Ms. Dash.

Yep, this ^^ is a good one. It also makes a good fish taco, or wrap it in parchment with some sliced peppers, zucchini and onions and bake it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten it. Is it that different from other fish? I normally pan-fry my fish. I will be interested to see some recipes.

It's a light tasting white fish much like perch, cod or haddock. Very versatile.
  • HopefulLeigh
    Options

It's not as fishy. It's almost the tofu of the fish world because it absorbs flavor pretty well.
  • alanrosez
    Options
    Baked in lemon juice, capers and sliced tomatoes.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Making a bulk purchase today, swimming around for ideas.

swimming around :laugh: for ideas

When I buy tilapia in bulk-like ---9 filets
    I divide them into 3s or 4s . 3 of them--I will season with lemon pepper, sea salt, and chopped garlic,---maybe the other set of three--- a soy-sauce, honey glaze or barbecue , and the last set of three--- maybe a curry rub and then, I freeze in individual packets.

But if you have a family of --say ---four people....and bought 20-32 filets----then you would freeze the tilapia---not individually, but in packs of fours or eights...but each pack has the tilapia already spiced so you have a pre-spiced tilapia ready to pop in the oven with a little olive oil.

For fun --you can even mix up the tiapia--maybe a barbecue in the same pack with a curry along with a lemon pepper for a pot luck tilapia family surprise or---to make assorted tilapia po'boy sandwiches

Enjoy!
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's not as fishy. It's almost the tofu of the fish world because it absorbs flavor pretty well.

I find it sometimes---has a slight off-putting after-taste--that's just me ---so I rinse it with water and give it a lemon bath---but I agree that it absorbs flavors well. I hate to use a cliche---but it tastes just like chicken!
    ( Chicken breast)

I broil mine in olive oil and and a splash of soy sauce--very crispy--so the texture's almost like fried chicken---which I no longer eat :noway: .
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Seafood Broccoli Alfredo. Isn't as gross as it sounds.....

I cook the tilapia up in a frying pan with a little vegetable broth (low sodium) and minced garlic. While I'm doing that, I'll boil up 2 oz. of Dreamfield's low carb pasta (has 5 digestible carbs and around 190 calories) and toss in some frozen baby broccoli florets a few minutes before the noodles are done. Once everything's done, I'll drain the pasta and mix everything together in a sauce pan with Walden Farms Alfredo sauce (0 calories. Yes, I promise). I'll season to taste with garlic powder and Italian seasoning, adding in a tablespoon of spray butter once everything's homogenized. Tastes like regular, calorie-laden Alfredo. But with about a fifth of the calories. And almost no fat (except from the tilapia, which isn't the bad fat). Sometimes I'll just make broccoli Alfredo and eat the fish on the side. Either way, if you are a creamy sauce kinda person (which I used to be!) you'll LOVE it.

I guess I know what I'm having for dinner tonight....:happy:

PS- Both the Dreamfield's pasta and Walden Farms Alfredo can be found at Netrition.com. I buy TONS of my health food there.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cooked in a little olive oil in a pan with pineapple/avocado salsa!!

6f9e81d2.jpg
  • weezie31
    Options
    Broiled with a little lemon, salt and pepper. Then I heat a little olive oil on the stove and add some cherry tomatoes until they get nice and soft and the skin starts to split. Add basil.

Serve the tilapia over some steamed spinach, top with the cherry tomatoes, and drizzle with some balsamic (you can skip this if you don't like vinegar, I just love me some vinegar!).
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Usually I just wrap them in foil with some seasonings and sometimes lemon slices if I have them and thrown in the oven or on the grill. Tonight I'm making parmesan crusted ones. Lightly coat in flour, then egg white mixture, then coated in bread crumb and parmesan mixture and baked in the oven. They're so good this way!
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Southwest rub I keep on hand:

3 T. Chili Powder
    1 T. Onion Powder
    1 T. Garlic Powder
    2 T. Italian Seasoning
    1 T. Tony Chachere's Seasoning
    1 T. Cumin

This makes a small container of seasoning
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Man I need some tilapia! The picture with the avocado looks really good!
    I made some fish tacos last night- wasn't tilapia though.
  • HopefulLeigh
    Options
    Cooked in a little olive oil in a pan with pineapple/avocado salsa!!

6f9e81d2.jpg

Well darn if that doesn't look like heaven on a plate!