Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• karins4
    karins4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi - I just joined the site last week and glad to see a thread about Gluten Free. I was diagnosed with Celiac a few years ago. It was really hard in the beginning (especially with dreams of gluten filled food!). I'm the only one in the family with Celiac so holidays were really tough but I think we are finally figuring everything out. I even figured out this Christmas how to make our favorite holiday almond cookies Gluten Free! My family couldn't even taste the difference! :bigsmile:

Here are a few of my favorite GF foods...Tinkyada rice pasta, Glutino Gluten Free Harvest Corn (Bread) - love this much better than my previous favorite Kinnikinnik tapioca white sandwich bread, EnviroKidz Animal Cookies - these taste so good, the last time I checked only the vanilla flavor is GF though, and Foods by George pizza - love their brownies too!

If anyone lives in the Westchester County, NY area a teenager started an annual walk to raise money and awareness for Celiac a few years ago after he was diagnosed. It's really fun, with a 2-mile and 4-mile path around Rye, GF breakfast and lunch, vendors with tons of GF food (samples and stuff to buy) some lectures with Q&A to learn more. This year they even had GF cupcake decorating. I didn't get to go this year because of a ton of health issues though. I can give a heads up when there is info available for this years walk...it's usually held around Sept/Oct.

Karin
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

If anyone lives in the Westchester County, NY area a teenager started an annual walk to raise money and awareness for Celiac a few years ago after he was diagnosed. It's really fun, with a 2-mile and 4-mile path around Rye, GF breakfast and lunch, vendors with tons of GF food (samples and stuff to buy) some lectures with Q&A to learn more. This year they even had GF cupcake decorating. I didn't get to go this year because of a ton of health issues though. I can give a heads up when there is info available for this years walk...it's usually held around Sept/Oct.

Karin

Hi Karin... welcome :flowerforyou:

Where is Westchester county? I live in CT and have family in NY. Would love to find out if it's do-able for me to attend the walk!
  • karins4
    karins4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Hi Karin... welcome :flowerforyou:

Where is Westchester county? I live in CT and have family in NY. Would love to find out if it's do-able for me to attend the walk!

Thanks!

It's about 45 minutes north of NYC (and about 20 minutes from Stamford, CT I think). The walk takes place in Rye at the high school right down the street from Playland Amusement Park (not sure which part of CT/NY you and your family are from but if you live close by you've definately heard of Playland and been to I'm sure :smile: ). It's such a pretty walk, I take a ton of pictures!

Here is the main website http://www.colinlesliewalkforceliacdisease.org/information.htm (oh well can't get it to actually link..need to figure that out)

Would be great if you could attend!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I found a new company that makes GF stuff. It's called inspiration mixes. I bought their pizza crust mix. I am going ot be making it tomorrow night, I will let you know how it turns out! the website is www.inspirationmixes.com
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Hey friends-

Just popping in to update you. I had my endoscopy on Monday and the doctor said that everything looked pretty normal, but that they would have to wait on the results of the lab work to know for sure. I also had the blood work and the genetic test done last Friday, so I should have those results back soon, too. As of right now, the doctor wants me on a low-gluten diet. So, I plan on going back to pretty much 100% gluten free at home, and trying my best at restaurants (sandwich with no bun, etc.) but this way I won't have to worry about every sauce, dressing, etc. So, so far, it's probably the best news that I realistically could have gotten. I will keep you all posted when I hear back about the lab work and the blood work. :flowerforyou:
  • vrealize
    Options
    This is a product I found today, which I have not tried, but I am excited about. I got it from a Japanese grocery store, but I thought I would let the gluten-free folks know about it.

Tofu shirataki "pasta"
    http://www.house-foods.com/Tofu/tofu_shirataki.aspx

I am not gluten-free (but did experiment with doing that, with all of my health issues going on), but I do appreciate that this looks like a low-GI pasta alternative that is low calorie, low-carb, even vegan. I know that some of the gluten-free pastas out there, some of which I have tried, are made out of corn, buckwheat (mmm soba noodles), rice.
  • yvonneh
    yvonneh Posts: 64
    Options
    kelynn,
    Glad to hear the endoscopy went well. Not having to worry about every little bit of gluten does really open up more options, since so many sauces have minute quantities of it.
  • souralice
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself since I'm new and gluten free. I had horrible Celiac symptoms for about 9 years before I was diagnosed. I had a biopsy that was negative (about a year into my symptoms), but then a positive blood test much later on. I've been gluten free for a year and a half now. I can't eat oats, but luckily can eat dairy because I love it! Those 9 years were AWFUL!!! I was in and out of the hospital and doctors office all the time. It was just constant agony and I missed so much work. They just kept loading me up on medicine to ease my symptoms and pain pills (which now I know I'm allergic too, so I'm sure that helped :grumble: ). Within 2 months of going gluten free, I was off all my medicine! I can't believe how much better I feel! Its like I was handed a new body! Of course, I'm still dealing with some of the damage from when my immune system was such a wreck. I had shingles, and it caused a lot of nerve damage, including my balance nerve inside my ear. So now I have terrible vertigo and some nerve pain. And after I went gluten free, I put on quite a bit of weight. I'm glad to be feeling better, but now its time to lose all this weight I put on trying to get healthy. Its great that there are other GF kids on here. Yay! Nice to meet you all :smile:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Hey all, and welcome souralice :flowerforyou:

Just stopping in quick to see if anyone can recommend a gluten-free wrap or tortilla? I really, really miss them. Probably will head to Whole Foods this weekend to see what they have, but I like to get opinions first as some of the gluten free stuff is just plain terrible :ohwell: Anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks :smile:
  • nicolee516
    Options

Just stopping in quick to see if anyone can recommend a gluten-free wrap or tortilla? I really, really miss them. Probably will head to Whole Foods this weekend to see what they have, but I like to get opinions first as some of the gluten free stuff is just plain terrible :ohwell: Anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks :smile:

I can! Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas...I love them! You can check them out on their website I think, www.foodforlife.com
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Souralice- welcome. Is that your cat? Is he/she really that big? OMGosh huge! I thought my boy was big! He's almost 16 lbs!
  • souralice
    Options
    Haha...Noooooo...that is not my cat!! That was just my profile pic before I put one of myself up there :laugh: Poor cat looks miserable. My last cat (RIP Salem) was a big man though. 20lbs!!

My grocery store just started carrying some good gluten free tortillas, but I can't remember the name of them now. I'll have to check next time I'm there. I usually just use the little corn tortillas. I always liked those anyway.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm a celiac, and found out March 2009. Since then it has been a horrid battle to figure things out....in Canada we don't have as many options as the US (and you can't order food to cross the border). the grocers are getting better though - and starting to stock better food.

Since finding out I've taken to cooking at home every day, and our version of 'ordering in' is picking up a rotisserie chicken from our local grocery mart.

Hello!

Perhaps one of you could take a look at his thread I started and give me some ideas??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/78970-6-hour-work-out-marathon-on-saturday-help
  • iRun4wine
    Options

I can! Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas...I love them! You can check them out on their website I think, www.foodforlife.com

Nicole, what store do you get them from? I'd love to try them!
  • nicolee516
    Options

Nicole, what store do you get them from? I'd love to try them!

I get them from a local gorcery store, but I was on the website last nite, and they have a place where you can click on stroes that carry them!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm a celiac, and found out March 2009. Since then it has been a horrid battle to figure things out....in Canada we don't have as many options as the US (and you can't order food to cross the border). the grocers are getting better though - and starting to stock better food.

Since finding out I've taken to cooking at home every day, and our version of 'ordering in' is picking up a rotisserie chicken from our local grocery mart.

Hello!

Perhaps one of you could take a look at his thread I started and give me some ideas??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/78970-6-hour-work-out-marathon-on-saturday-help

Got to watch some of those rotisserie chickens. The spice rubs aren't always gluten free.

Actually, i have found restaurant staff in Canada way far ahead of those in the US when you need help ordering gluten free. the Canadian Celiac websites are also much more helpful than the US counterparts.

But, yes i have to agree the selection of GF stuff in the grocery stores can be limited.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Nicole, this is what came up when I did a search on the Food For Life website for the tortillas you recommended:

"Food For Life Baking Co. products are not sold in retail store locations within 100 miles near you at this time."

:ohwell:
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes use to sell Rice tortillas. They were 1/2 decent and I like they were a bigger size then those small rinky dink corn ones. I havent had them in awhile so not sure if they are still there or not. You have to heat them up to get them pliable to wrap!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Nicole, this is what came up when I did a search on the Food For Life website for the tortillas you recommended:

"Food For Life Baking Co. products are not sold in retail store locations within 100 miles near you at this time."

:ohwell:

That's a bummer Kelynn! They are good...I will see if I can find out about another one.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Trader Joes use to sell Rice tortillas. They were 1/2 decent and I like they were a bigger size then those small rinky dink corn ones. I havent had them in awhile so not sure if they are still there or not. You have to heat them up to get them pliable to wrap!

Yea, I was at Trader Joe's the other day... and just my luck- they were all out. I could settle on those if I had to, but I'd rather find some I absolutely love- having to heat them up to be able to use them as a wrap makes them sound kind of yucky!