Strength training at home

Options
I am looking for a weight lifting routine that I can do at home with just my free weights. Any suggestions on where to start?

Replies

• risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Love me some Jillian Michaels DVDs. I really need someone to yell at me to keep pushing.
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Love me some Jillian Michaels DVDs. I really need someone to yell at me to keep pushing.

I have the thirty day shred videos. Maybe it's time to dig them out.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There isn't a single particularly good program out there.

Each time do a pushing, a pulling, and a leg exercise. If you are ambitious do 2 of each and add a core exercise.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    30 day shred was a great place to start. Kicked my butt and then I moved onward and upward to other videos.

You'll never see me doing insanity or anything with such a monetary commitment.

Jillian DVDs are usually under $10 and my gym costs $10 a month.
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels "no more trouble zones" which is on youtube for free., but i bought it anyway.

Bob Harpers Inside out method, "pure burn super strength"
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I used to Loveeee that "Body for Life" book....... i used to do his routines every morning.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a weight lifting routine that I can do at home with just my free weights. Any suggestions on where to start?
    What kind of free weights; just dumbells, or do you have a bench?

I'm currently doing Strong Lifts 5x5 and loving it, but it's easiest to do with a bench and an Olympic barbell.
  • missxjuicy
    missxjuicy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Im looking at some kettleballs right now on wallmart.com lol I was told two 10pound kettleballs will do the trick to tone these arms. 3 to 4 reps.
  • livinbb
    livinbb Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I have the thirty day shred videos. Maybe it's time to dig them out.

There is a group on here that just started doing the JM 30 Day Shred on Sept 1st. Feel free to join. Some started earlier and some just joined yesterday. Hope to see you in the group.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Chalene Extreme, P90X, Body Revolution. Supreme 90, X-Factor XT are a few.
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What kind of free weights; just dumbells, or do you have a bench?

I'm currently doing Strong Lifts 5x5 and loving it, but it's easiest to do with a bench and an Olympic barbell.

Just dumbells, no bench. I'd like to join a gym in the next few months though, so I'll keep these in mind.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would do things like squats, step ups, lunges, dumbbell chest press, shoulder press, bicep and hammer curls, things like that... I never had heavy enough weights though. Or a barbell. I ended up getting a gym membership and will never go without one again. That is, until I have a home gym lol.

There is an exercise database here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ You can narrow your search by the equipment used, so for you, dumbbells.