Meals on a tight budget

Options
Im in the uk
Ive just started at MFP and im struggling with good low cal healthy meals on a tight budget,im having to make seperate meals for my hubby and kids and ive found myself eating salads as i cant find anything else thats cheap,salads are ok but im eating it every night and now im finding that im getting hungry late evening and cant have anything to eat.Does ne1 have any ideas of things i can have for a main meal that quick to make,cheap to buy and filling.

Replies

• FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    you should try skinnytaste because they take normal recipes and make them healthy ...then you would just have to make one meal for everyone :)http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/recipe-index.html
  • Sam_Jayne
    Options
    Thanks for that i'll take a look now :)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    veg is cheap, casseroles go a long way, when my kids were young we had very little money but i fed us well on veg fruit meat eggs. making everything from scratch , toad in the hole cheese pie home made puddings ie apples stewed crumbles pies apple dumplings.
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    steal over peoples food?

jk

buy things on sale or in bulk;

tuna
    frozen vegetables
    anything frozen actually
    make your own food eg houmous, chili, lasagne etc
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    tuna
    frozen vegetables
    anything frozen actually
    make your own food eg houmous, chili, lasagne etc

i agree lewis, veggie chilli and lasagne or a mix of veg and mince.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    My go to is frozen veggies in a frittata (pretty much just eggs and my veggies, milk and cheese are optional add-ins). I love that I can make a big pan and have it for lunch and dinner for a few days.

Beans and brown rice are cheap and a good start to a meal.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hey there, what kind of family meals do you make the hubby and kids.
    We all eat the same at my house, but hubby might have more and the kids might have it plain without sauce,...
    The way I've managed to sort the budget (ours is tight too) is to eat whats on special, in season and everyone eat the same.
    I usually have my salad or something for lunch at work, but dinner is family meal time.
    Maybe check skinny taste, there are some faves there... Goodluck
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Have you tried smaller portions of what the rest of the crew gets? You can have a small portion and add some extra vegg to yours - The frozen bags make it easy to add an extra or second veg to your portion. that way yo don't have to do two separate meals.
  • cmacohio1975
    cmacohio1975 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash w/marinara sauce us cheap and filling. you could make turkey meatballs and cook pasta for the family. Also turkey meatloaf is not too expensive to make, add in a fresh zucchini (shredded) keeps the meatloaf moist and adds extra veg, serve with frozen veg of your choice. Chicken breasts are fairly cheap and very versatile,... cook a few up and you can shred them for taco salad or fajitas, add to salad, add to a simple casserole etc. Beans are also good source of protein and versatile.. black beans are good substitute for meat in burritos. Baked beans are good on whole wheat toast or english muffin. :) google cheap healthy and you will find lots of good links and suggestions.