Need Help

Options
I need help with loosing weight and not eating at night... I work at a fire station and we tend to eat too many calories during our shift. I now eat alone and have lost 5-7 pounds but will have trouble keeping it off during the winter months and holidays. I never seem to loose more than 10 pounds. Is there any hope for a person with very little will power, who eats too much at night.

Replies

• jessicajoy87
    Options
    You need to make a lifestyle change. It can be difficult at first but once you get into it you will feel better. go to www.realage.com. This is Dr. Oz's site. It has a lot of tools and info that can help you out. I hope this helps. Good Luck.
  • hedkie
    hedkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    At a certain point I realized that my success would depend on recognizing the fact that I am a late-night eater, period, and making room for that fact. Some (bad) habits can be overcome, but others are so fundamental that imagining a future without them is nearly impossible. Given my lifelong passion for late-night eating, I've come up with a multi-pronged plan of attack that includes more and more low-calories late night snack choices, combined with extremely strategic, healthy, small-portioned daytime food choices that leave me with a massive calories deficit as evening approaches. I've seen a lot of other people on here make similar comments/confessions! So far I've lost 27 pounds and am about 2/3 of the way to my goal.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Hey-- I'm a night eater too. I get more hungry at night than any other time of the day. I guess bc I am more busy during the day and have more time to think about food at night. So, I eat smaller meals during the day so I have more cals to bank on night time snacking. It's worked for me so far. Sometimes I have a hard time-- like this week, I've had a few binges. But, like I always say, I'm a work in progress and I'm not giving up.

Good luck! :)
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey

As a fellow male who is on the go during the daytime, I understand the urges and cravings that come calling late at night. I have come to realize that I am not eating a massive amount of foods, but I am eating the wrong foods (at night). This is not good especially when your body is not burning many calories late at night. I have found a great friend in green apples and oatmeal. These are just examples of foods that I am eating more of nowadays. Particularly, I am not one that likes to eat a lot at breakfast time or during lunchtime (usually because I am pretty busy). But grabbing one or two green apples in the morning really helps maintain my energy level and keeps my blood sugar intact. I also eat a bowl of oatmeal for a snack and if this is not convenient, I will choose a granola bar. I constantly drink water which keeps me full and quenches my thirst (sometimes thirstiness is satisfied with high calorie drinks without thinking about it). I keep a squeeze bottle or one that allows me to sip and work or walk or whatever I am doing (basically I have a portable water container that is always neaby). I am also learning to eat healthier snacks when I get home from work, such apples (again), carrots, cucumbers (or pickles) just to name a few. Never eat the heavy stuff as soon as you walk through the door, a big no-no. When you decide to eat your evening meal, make sure that there are vegetables that are included (again this will help fill you up and depending upon how they are prepared they will have fewer calories). Remember the 4 B's (baked, boiled, broiled, bbq'd (grilled)) when preparing your foods. Every once in a while fried foods will be become really enticing so trying to completely abstain may increase your chances of "cheating". So I usually pick a day of the week that I will have fried foods or reserve this until a special ocassion (by the way, limit the number special occasions that you have per week where you will be eating fried foods). Lastly, make sure that you keep you some herbal tea handy. Make you a cup (with Splenda) before you go to bed, this help curbs my appetite and soothes me before I go to sleep. I hope this information will help you. If you need additional support or few tips, just let me know. Good Luck!