suggestions for healthy camping food please!

Options
elyelyse
elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
I am going to be spending parts of October and November camping in various US National and State Parks (omg can't wait!) which means I am going to have to deal with food differently. I obviously won't have access to a fridge full of fresh fruits and veggies. I haven't sworn off carbs, but I do tend to eat breads, grains and cereals sparingly. I am going really minimal with a very small camp stove and would really like stuff I can prepare in one pot.

If anyone has some suggestions for camp food that will fit into a healthy, relatively low calorie routine, I'd love to hear em!

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I bought a dehydrator and make my own dehydrated fruits/veggies and jerkey.

Trail mix with nuts, cacao nibs, pretzels whatever you like.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    ohh i wish I would have thought about the dehydrator! I'm starting my trip in two weeks (though no camping til October) so I won't have time for that this trip unfortunately.. Anyone know of any good prepackaged dried fruits and veggies that don't have any added crap?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Jerky, trail mix, dehydrated fruits, granola.....those are the first to come to mind. I have no idea about veggies. I haven't been camping since I changed my diet.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be hiking alot? If so, then I wouldn't worry tooooo much about the calories, as you will most likely be burning a ton of calories off hiking every day.
    I second the idea of dehydrating food (fruits, veggies, etc) to take with you. Backpack Gourmet may have some ideas for you, but alot of it is pasta and stuff. There are some bean based soups, etc. that might be helpful to you.
    http://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gourmet-Dehydrate-Healthy-Eating/dp/0811726347/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1346792949&sr=1-2

edited to see if I can get the link to work
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Camping food (and camp cooking) is one of my favorite parts of camping (hot dogs, meat and veg foil packets, baked beans, chilli, cornbread, pancakes, bacon, etc.) so I tend to stick to my traditional favorites when we're camping and we tend do tons of hiking and swimming while we're there so I always end up having lost weight when I get back. I just stay away from snacking on chips (I stick to apples, almonds, and string cheese) and the like during the day and don't have any smores or deserts. I do make my own chilli and baked beans and freeze them, so they're healthier than the canned versions (and tastier too.) You're on vacation girl, live it up! =)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I read your question, then noticed the banner ad at the top of the page - it's for dehydrated foods to take camping! Spot-on advertising, or what?!
    http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/camping_food.aspx?gclid=CJfr4sbrnLICFYFlfAodKV0ACQ

Looks like it's available in the UK, don't know about where you are.

Our reliable camping dinner - the "Sunday night special" is corned beef hash. Not especially low calorie, but if you're doing lots of hiking you'll need the energy & burn it off. We use a couple of potatoes, boiled in a pot. When they're done, drain the water off and add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a tin of drained sweetcorn, then, when they've heated up, a tin of corned beef cut into chunks. Heat through & serve with tomato ketchup to taste.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you have a camp base and are not hiking your food through the woods all day long... then eggs are great, you can set them up at base and have hearty breakfasts to keep you going for most of the day... ie eggs on toast or with beans etc.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Oh man, camping food is the worst! But it ain't camping without fire roasted hot dogs, chili, s'mores...so I just make up for it with physical activity during the day.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    I HOPE to be hiking a lot. My endurance levels are much better than even a few months ago, and I can handle a couple of miles at a time, and hope to use this trip to increase that, so I will definitely be upping my calories from where I am now, but, at 270 pounds, no matter how active I am, I don't wanna fall into thinking I can indulge in trail mix and leave my beloved veggies behind!
  • elyelyse
    Options
    Camping food (and camp cooking) is one of my favorite parts of camping (hot dogs, meat and veg foil packets, baked beans, chilli, cornbread, pancakes, bacon, etc.) so I tend to stick to my traditional favorites when we're camping and we tend do tons of hiking and swimming while we're there so I always end up having lost weight when I get back. I just stay away from snacking on chips (I stick to apples, almonds, and string cheese) and the like during the day and don't have any smores or deserts. I do make my own chilli and baked beans and freeze them, so they're healthier than the canned versions (and tastier too.) You're on vacation girl, live it up! =)

my problem is that I can't bring things with me like string cheese, or frozen bakes beans. I will have a car-powered cooler but that won't keep things frozen for long, it can't run when the car is off, and once I am out at a camp site for a couple of days, that won't keep. this is exactly my problem issue!

I know maybe I'm asking too much, lol, but I really want some proteins and healthy sides that will travel well.
  • everesttrek
    everesttrek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lots of meat. Jerky if you have nothing to keep it cold in. If you are motor home camping no probs. Otherwhise, I would get jerkey and canned tuna and canned salmon, canned sardines, just about any canned meat to use in stews and soups or even by themselves. Bring some sweet potatoes to roast in foil on teh fire and dried fruits are readily avaiable in teh bulk section of the store. I try to eat paleo, which means very few carbs so that is what I would be taking.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    I read your question, then noticed the banner ad at the top of the page - it's for dehydrated foods to take camping! Spot-on advertising, or what?!
    http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/camping_food.aspx?gclid=CJfr4sbrnLICFYFlfAodKV0ACQ

Looks like it's available in the UK, don't know about where you are.

Our reliable camping dinner - the "Sunday night special" is corned beef hash. Not especially low calorie, but if you're doing lots of hiking you'll need the energy & burn it off. We use a couple of potatoes, boiled in a pot. When they're done, drain the water off and add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a tin of drained sweetcorn, then, when they've heated up, a tin of corned beef cut into chunks. Heat through & serve with tomato ketchup to taste.

oh good catch on that ad! I have an ad blocker so I don't see that stuff. I will check it out, even if its not in the US maybe they have some ideas.

ahh see this is what im talking about! I didn't even think of bringing canned veggies and meats. I can handle the weight of bringing that kind of thing with me, because I won't be hiking out too far with my gear. thanks!
  • elyelyse
    Options
    Lots of meat. Jerky if you have nothing to keep it cold in. If you are motor home camping no probs. Otherwhise, I would get jerkey and canned tuna and canned salmon, canned sardines, just about any canned meat to use in stews and soups or even by themselves. Bring some sweet potatoes to roast in foil on teh fire and dried fruits are readily avaiable in teh bulk section of the store. I try to eat paleo, which means very few carbs so that is what I would be taking.

oh potatoes in foil on the fire! you know, it really didn't occur to me that with my changing activity level, I can have some of those things I have been keeping to a minimum, like potatoes!
  • elyelyse
    Options
    If you have a camp base and are not hiking your food through the woods all day long... then eggs are great, you can set them up at base and have hearty breakfasts to keep you going for most of the day... ie eggs on toast or with beans etc.

hmmm, any idea how long eggs keep when not refrigerated? I should look that up because that would be great.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob, zucchini, and mushrooms all keep and grill well either in tin foil in the coals or on kabobs. Potatoes do too, but I mostly avoid them because of the carb content. Eggs will keep for a couple of days, raw for frying or boiled for snacking, if they stay somewhat cool. Beef jerky, almonds, dehydrated fruit (see link), regular fruit, and Fiber One/Atkins bars work well for snacks

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Sliced-Freeze-Dried-Snacks-Variety/dp/B0064QH2QE
    No junk added and TASTY

Progresso soup, canned chile, Marie Kitchen corned beef hash, albacore tuna to go in salads or omelettes or in a sandwich...

Edited to add that kirkland is a Costco brand if you aren't aware.
  • questiontheanswers
    Options
    Bring hardier fruits that don't bruise as easily or go bad quickly - avoid bananas, but keep a cache of apples and oranges. They tend to hold up for a lot longer and are staples when we camp.Nuts are fantastic for camping; just watch your serving sizes. I would suggest bringing lentils or rice, as they cook easily over a fire and don't need to be refrigerated. Bring along some cans of low-sodium/ no-salt-added tomatoes, beans, and corn and mix it all up with your rice or lentils for a quick nutritious meal. No-salt-added canned vegetables are going to be your best bet for getting veggies in if you don't have consistent access to a fridge. Potatoes (sweet or regular) are another camping staple - cheap and simple to prepare.

Have fun!
  • elyelyse
    Options
    Corn on the cob, zucchini, and mushrooms all keep and grill well either in tin foil in the coals or on kabobs. Potatoes do too, but I mostly avoid them because of the carb content. Eggs will keep for a couple of days, raw for frying or boiled for snacking, if they stay somewhat cool. Beef jerky, almonds, dehydrated fruit (see link), regular fruit, and Fiber One/Atkins bars work well for snacks

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Sliced-Freeze-Dried-Snacks-Variety/dp/B0064QH2QE
    No junk added and TASTY

Progresso soup, canned chile, Marie Kitchen corned beef hash, albacore tuna to go in salads or omelettes or in a sandwich...

Edited to add that kirkland is a Costco brand if you aren't aware.

oh i had some freeze dried banana just the other day and it was like candy! and there was nothing in it but banana and cinnamon! great idea. I am familiar with that brand, and that big variety pack looks perfect for my trip.
  • everesttrek
    everesttrek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Avoid peanuts, they are legumes and not nuts. Seeds and real nuts with dried raisons a currents make a good snack and you can portion them out to track them pretty easily. Activity level should be up but don't let it deceive you...keep it real. If you get pecksih, 6 almonds whould do the trick to tide you over. Not sure I saw what part of the world you are camping in, but if not too warm, fruits and many veggies should keep pretty well. get a few tubes of the beans soup mixes to use with your canned meats and some potatoe and sweet potato (which will serve you better than a white spud) make a good soup without pumping up the caloric intake too much. Bring a head of cabbage...for the first few days it will do well to cook up in soup or even grill it. Front load your menu days with fresher things and then work toward the drier things that hold up over time. Bring lots of water!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That does make things more difficult. Nuts, jerky, and apples are still a safe bet, though. Bake a sweet potato instead of the regular russets. I sometimes get powdered eggs for backpacking, they’re tolerable. Amy's brand products have a bunch of yummy soups and other canned items and they're pretty decent as far as nutrition/calories are concerned. Depending where you are, I always try to get a site next to a stream, put a crate in the stream w/ some rocks at the bottom (or tie it to a tree if it's a bigger stream) and stick my perishables (or beers) in there to stay cool (things like cheese go in freezer baggies before taking the plunge.) You can also make a basin in the stream with rocks if you don’t have a milk crate. Just make sure you rinse cans or anything that will go into your mouth off, you don't want to get giardia. Also, I do a bunch of backpacking and car camping on the west coast and most campsites that you can drive to have somewhere around to get ice for your cooler, so you may be able to bring some semi-perishable items. Canned tuna is a good option, too. Snag some mayo packets from somewhere and you have some single servings that don’t need to be refrigerated. Oh and dry salami is good too. Have fun!