My loser moment for the day

Options
I was jogging this morning, I am still new to it and kind of slow, 12 min mile. I thought I was doing pretty good because I can actually run 5k without any walking. So, I'm running along and a mom pushing a double stroller with 2 kids in it walks past me. Yes, WALKED past! She was power walking, but still, my self confidence was about shot. I turned the corner so I didn't have to watch her hauling *kitten* in front of me.

Oh well, I just have to remember I'm still faster than the person sitting on the couch. Just more motivation for me to keep at it and get faster.

Replies

• Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Those power walkers are faster than my running/jogging too, but I know the feeling.

I was jogging at the local high school track and I felt I was doing pretty good. Then this girl passes me (little tiny Asian girl) and I didn't think anything of it until she pass me again. I was like WTF...not that much time passed by and she already lapped me!! I wish I weight 90 lbs. I can probably run faster...haha.

I think you are doing great if you can run 5k without any walking. Keep up the good work.
  • burtonhl
    Options
    Hah! That's an awesome story - you should wear that as a badge of honour that you were lapped! I am in my 40's and was "running" on the track at my gym. I was lapped by about a 75 year old woman - who was walking. Clearly, she was on steroids! :-)

Just think - you're at the 5k mark already, and not too long ago that probably seemed like an unrealistic goal.

Good for you on your 5k! I look forward to reading other stories of humiliation and triumph from fellow MFPrs!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Power walking is actually an Olympic Sport now. Ive done it while I was injured and I tell you I WAS SUPER SORE in my glutes!!!
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was jogging this morning, I am still new to it and kind of slow, 12 min mile. I thought I was doing pretty good because I can actually run 5k without any walking. So, I'm running along and a mom pushing a double stroller with 2 kids in it walks past me. Yes, WALKED past! She was power walking, but still, my self confidence was about shot. I turned the corner so I didn't have to watch her hauling *kitten* in front of me.

Oh well, I just have to remember I'm still faster than the person sitting on the couch. Just more motivation for me to keep at it and get faster.

Did this happen going uphill? That's the worst! (I jog slow, too :))
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I am proud of my 12 minute miles because a year ago I couldn't run a mile. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Power walking is great but ultimately speed is not what this is about (at least for me). The point of running (for me) is to exercise my muscles, my lungs, and my heart to increase overall cardiovascular fitness. Power walking simply isn't challenging enough for me to get my heart rate up. I'm sure it would be if I was pushing two kids though! So, just focus on the fact that you are doing what YOU need to do. If you want to run faster, work towards that!
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am a FAR faster walker than I am jogger. A 10 minute walk for the average person would only take me 6-7 minutes, (I blame it on being stumpy and growing up with a long legged mom, had to learn to haul it to keep up), so don't feel bad... ALSO, jogging takes far more effort than fast walking, so though she is faster, you're putting forth a heck of a lot more energy and are a heck lot stronger.
  • halejr23
    Options
    Don't even worry about it. Think of it this way ... there will ALWAYS be someone faster than you. Run your pace, the pace that you are comfortable with and concentrate on short, smooth steps and soft knees. Believe it or not you WILL get faster.
  • Arkani7
    Arkani7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It was not today, but it happened when I started working out at the gym (around 3 months ago):

There was this cute little old woman. She looked like my grandma,I guess she was around 75-80 years old (really admire her for lifting weights at that age :) ) She was this typical nice grandma, baking cookies all day and stuff.

She was exercising on that one gym machine .When she finished, I got on that machine ... and I had to halve the weights she used ....

She's my idol :D
    But meanwhile, I'm lifting more than her ... just keep on training and some day you will be faster than that woman :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

EXACTLY! You rock just for getting out there and DOING it! And some day you'll be lapping someone out there too.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I can walk faster than I can run. It's possible that you run faster than that lady can run. I'm just impressed you can run 5k without stopping. :flowerforyou: