BMR Confusion

Options
My BMR is around 1400, but with my desk job (sedentary), my maintenance calories are only 1600 on here. Is this that bad to go below the BMR rate, especially on days I work out? I'm confused at how anyone can loose enough weight to even notice in a month otherwise (at this rate, it'd be less than 2 lbs/month)? Sorry, I understand how this would work if I had 50 lbs to loose and my BMR were 300 cals/day higher, but how does it work for people with only a little weight to loose, but who would prefer to drop 5 lbs in a month?

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

take your personal stats and work through the link above - it will give you a much better handle on where you should set your target to loose steadily! The numbers that MFP gives you can be a bit wacked depending on the choices you made.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    People with only a little weight to lose would have a hard time dropping 5 pounds in a month, in a healthy fashion anyway.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So, I followed the instructions of the other posts - but my body fat percentages varied dramatically...from 22.8% (Covert Bailey, more measurements required) to 33.5% (Military, only neck, waist hips). Thoughts on how to deal with that? I just bought calipers online, but they won't be here for another week.