New...Could use some help

Options
I thought I was eating well and I've been exercising everyday...I gained 3 pounds in the week.

I don't know if I am just looking at it wrong or if I'm not doing something right. I'm just really confused. If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it. I just started this week and want to do well and do this right...I guess I just don't really know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• xxmangexx
    xxmangexx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tasha,

Congrats on taking the first step in making a change. I have been with MFP for about 40 days now. It hasn't been the easiest of things, but sticking with it and asking questions is one of the best things you could do.

I noticed you do not have your food diary publically shared, not a problem :smile: One of the first bits of advice I can give you is be honest with yourself. Make an effort to track almost everything you eat. If you have a smart phone the bar code scanner helps a lot! It makes tracking intake easy. When you get some tracktion and you run into a bad meal/day/couple of days/birthday/ graduation/anything, log it all. Learn from what you did and what impacts it had. I had a bday a little bit ago and destroyed my calorie goal for the day. After three days of sticking with my goals my mistake was negated and I was back on track.

Next bit of advice I can give you, make some friends with similar goals. I have a work buddy that ironically had been using MFP way longer than I had known before I decided to make a change. Having someone to bounce ideas off of, get support and listen to you when you are concerned about your progress is a great resource. Even to see what they are eating and comparing it to your diary for ideas of improvement are all great things.

Finally, the last bit of advice I can give you is: This takes time. Be patient. If you make little changes here and there, they will all add up to great progress in the end. Don't think that because you decided to track your nutrition in a food diary, that all of your changes need to happen the same day. Make little changes every week. For example, I was a HUGE soda drinker. I would drink a liter of coke every day at work. I also eat forzen meals at lunch which are high in sodium. That is two huge sodium items. I cut back, nearly out (I have a soda or two through out the week :wink: ) and not only did that help me fall into my calorie goal, but it also cut back on my sodium with that one change.

Good luck to you. Feel free to add me as a friend and msg me whenever you need some positive support. Congratulations again on taking the hardest step, the first one.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Did you just start exercising? If so that could be just water weight your muscles are retaining. If that's the case.. Keep up what you're doing and check again next week and see how your progress is going. I know when i first started working out i gained 4 lbs and i freaked out too but kept it up and started losing. Good luck :)
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome to MFP

Some good info in the link on how to get your calorie target set up and how to deal with exercise calories.
    Some things to remember about your weight loss journey
    It won't happen as fast as you hope but it will happen.
    Adding exercise and strength training is important but if you are new to it the first week or so you can retain water weight as your muscles get used to the increased work.
    Your weight will change during the day - lower in morning usually and higher by the end of the day.
    TOM will cause water retention sometimes as much as 5lbs or more but it will pass.
    Be patient with your self it will work!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • TashaB512
    Options
    I am currently on a pill that is supposed to keep the "water weight" off. So, I'm not sure if it is related to water retention. I don't drink anymore soda except in a smoothie recipe I have that calls for 7up. Other than the occasional smoothie, I drink just water.