↓ flatulence, ↓cholesterol, & control diabetes with beans

Options
Interesting stuff I found from the book called Nutrition and Health in the Bible by Kathleen O'Bannon and Larry Richards.

Beans reduce serum cholesterol in many studies and have been used to reduce body fat in many clinics. Beans are only healthy if they don't contain sugar. Diabetics can benefit from eating beans without sugar, because the fiber helps to regulate blood glucose levels. A diet containing almonds, soybeans, oats, and barley was used in a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods used in several studies done at the University at University of Toronto. These foods are high in beta-sitosterol which can help to lower cholesterol 20% if followed for a year, particularly LDL (bad cholesterol) in ways similar to cholesterol reducing drugs, but without the side effects. More info on this can be found at www.healthaliveproducts.com

There are 2 reasons beans cause gas:
1.Fiber is causing your body to work better and creates gas at first. After eating a high fiber diet for a few days or weeks it disappears.
2.Raffinose and stachyose in beans that some people can't digest without forming gas. This can be remedied by adding kombu to the bean cooking water or a small amount of asafoetida to the food.

The best way to cook beans however is by soaking them, which reduces the amount of complex sugars that ferment and give gas. This can be done by:
1.Add 3x the amount of water as beans in a stainless steel pan.
2.Bring water to a boil on high heat.
3.Slowly add beans to water and boil them hard for 2 minutes.
4.Turn off the heat, cover the beans, and let them sit until they are rehydrated, which can take anywhere for 1.5 to 4 hours.
5.When the beans no longer look shriveled, add fresh water and bring them to a boil over medium heat then reduce to slow simmer until they are fully cooked.
6.Add seasonings. Don't add salt, tomatoes, or other acids during initial cooking.

Add me on MFP and let me know how this has worked for you or how it works when you try it.

Replies

• eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    Great post. I tell my clients all the time how good beans are. Not just as a source of healthy, slow digesting, low glycemic carbs but as a good protein source too. Lentils are the highest protein content that I've readily seen in the grocery store. One serving of lentils gives you 22g carbs and 11g grams protein. Other beans like black beans or pinto are around 20-22g carbs per serving with 8-10g protein per serving.

Bean beans the magical fruit...
  • censu67
    censu67 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I read studies where they help lower blood pressure also.

Aduki (Azduki) beans are especially good but harder to find here in the US.

M
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I eat beans daily