Do you eat all the extra calories you get when you exercise?

Options
auntkaren
auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
I have seen some where some people on here burn off anywhere from 300 to 1200 calories:smile: If you burn up say....800calories ....do you eat 800 calories more that day?

Replies

• auntkaren
    Options
    I have seen some where some people on here burn off anywhere from 300 to 1200 calories:smile: If you burn up say....800calories ....do you eat 800 calories more that day?
  • tuber311
    tuber311 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes you do!

Biggest Looser had the perfect example a few weeks ago of what happens when you don't consume your expected calorie count. A few team members decided to cut their calories in half in hopes of gaining a weight loss edge over the other team. It completely backfired. Despite hard workouts, they didn't loose but very litte weight (one of them actually gained 3 pounds). Here's a simplified version of why: YOUR BODY MUST HAVE ENERGY FROM FOOD TO BURN FAT. If the body doesn't get enough calories from food, it slows down your metabolism in order to conserve and store energy (as fat). That is why it is so important to eat the right amount of calories in the specified porpotions of carbs, protein, and fats.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Thanks:flowerforyou: That's interesting to know , helps me understand better:smile:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do too. I enjoy each and every single one too.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    That may explain why my diets in the past didn't help me, :frown: I would eat very little and exercise even more......like I would eat 900 calories and exercise to burn up as many calories I could. I would loose the wieght, but I was always so tired and hungry. Then when I would get sick of the diet I would go back to eating the way I use to and gain every pound back on and some times more.:grumble: I had done that so many times in my life I can't imagine the pounds I lost and gained over the years. Who ever put this program on here is a life saver, I can tell it works by what others on here have been succesful.:smile:
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but getting to eat my extra calories is my biggest motivation to exercise!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but getting to eat my extra calories is my biggest motivation to exercise!

:drinker: :drinker:
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options

Me too because honestly, 1200 calories just doesn't do it for me.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I have only been on the program for three days...and to be honest, I can't eat all the extra calories that I have earned through exercise. I feel full on what I am eating already, plus I drink almost a gallon of water a day. Could that be keeping me full?
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    dang why the heck do you drink so much water? how meny oz's are in a gallon?
  • krnelso
    krnelso Posts: 21
    Options
    It depends on the day for me. Sometimes I do & other times I don't.

I have 1600 calories allowed to me, so sometimes if I eat really good meals, I'm not hungry enough to eat an extra couple hundred calories. But if I eat things high in calories & low in filling me up, then I will... I drink a lot of water throughout the day to make me less hungry.

Also depends on how late it is, I don't want to eat right before going to bed (I work out in the evening after work, so I don't have many options to eat all my calories from working out).
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I drink 8 16-ounce glasses of water per day...I stopped drinking regular sodas and juice, and replaced the sugary drinks with water. Plus I sweat a lot when I work out, so I just gulp water when I'm done.

A gallon is 128 oz.. I think....
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    dang why the heck do you drink so much water? how meny oz's are in a gallon?

Yep - a gallon is 128 oz. That's alotta watta!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I usually eat close to it and I too work out after work and depending on my motivation it can be a lot of cals to get in....I try to nosh on fruit and yogurt and try not to eat right before bed,like give myself a few hours of no food if I can...

but its hard! lately I've been beefing up my lunches....like today...i'm sooo full probably too full:ohwell: but I'm going to do some serious turbo jam tonight and strength training so I know I'll burn over 500 cals....right now my food is almost up and if I didn't exercise tonight I'd only have like 100 cals left...the horror! :frown:

well good luck and it takes some tweakin' but you can get them in....keep up the good work!
    hugs,
    Ali
  • aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh nooo... so you're telling me if, for example:

My daily calories goal is 1200 but I exercise and burn off 300, then I HAVE to eat those 300 calories back? So ultimately I have to eat 1500 calories to lose weight if it's the case with the scenario given? And if I don't then I will either gain or not lose at all? Someone tell me I'm mistaken..

ETA: I don't understand how I will lose weight this way. I was thinking I'll eat 1200 cals, burn 300, and the weight will come off.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Read THE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS - it's a thread on general discussion. It is a great answer to why we should eat all our calories.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Me too. :bigsmile:
  • pfisher
    pfisher Posts: 28
    Options
    I am a newbie and was also was confused on this subject. I eat 1200 calories and exercise and burn about 400. I feel satisfied with my meals ( not hungry) It does not make sense to eat what I burned. But that could be why I have not lost a pound all week. Stayed the same. I will give this a try and see what happens
    Thanks
  • Wantabe
    Wantabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do but I don't understand the concept of doing this? Then why exercise? Also I pushed a lawn mower today, for the exercise, for 2.5 hours with a calorie burned of 2.088. My net calorie goal is 1370 calories. Net calories 1370, plus 2088 calories burned, minus calories consumed 2981, and still leaves me with a total of 337 remaining to consume. Ain't no way, I am so full right now I can hardly move. It is now 4:58 in the afternoon and I don't know what to do with these extra calories. It has been a long, long, time since I have consumed 2981 calories. Am I doing this right.:explode:
  • Kate Smith
    Options
    I eat all my calories. My friend doesn't and to the contrary of the Biggest Loser it is falling off of her. She also runs 6 miles a day and breastfeeds. She's a champ!!