Hypnosis @ weightloss

Options
Has anyone out there tried hypnosis to help them make better food and lifestyle choices? I have a family member whonused hypnosis to stop smoking and it really worked for them....

Replies

• citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use guided meditation, which is like hypnosis.
    I use various guided meditations to help me relax and deal with many different stressors, but I listen to a few that focus on positive body image and achieving any goal you visualize during the meditation.
    Definitely helpful in reducing overall stress, which we all know isn't good for health or overeating. AND I notice a lot more positive self-talk and I actually can picture myself succeeding at losing the weight and being the healthy person I want to be after I've done those specific meditations.
    I download them as free podcasts.
    I highly recommend it.
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Where do you find the podcasts?
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda curious about this too. I've never believed in hypnosis, but I know someone who claims it somehow helped their appetite, or at least helped them to realize they weren't really hungry.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just searched on Itunes.
    there's one called Meditation Oasis and another one called Meditation for Health that I like.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... losing weight at the expense of possibly becoming a mindless assassin for the illuminati... no thanks. I'll just sit here with my tin foil hat and do it the old fashioned way.
  • onlyhuman123
    Options
    I used a hypnotherapist years ago to help with my panic attacks. It worked 100%. So in July this year I thought I'd give hypnotherapy a go (because it worked so well for me before) in my quest to lose some lard. ;)

3 sessions done (£150 all in, plus a 'free' session in October).

I haven't lost any weight at all.

But I have noticed that I only eat when hungry and I stop when I'm full. When I'm bored I don't automatically rummage in the kitchen to scoff something. So although I haven't lost weight, I have a MUCH healthier view of food, it no longer consumes my every waking moment, I no longer obsess calories, points, fat, syns (cos I've tried them all!). I have (this week) embarked on MFP as a few of my friends have successfully lost weight using it with the view of cutting calories to around 1300 a day and upping my exercise.

Whilst expensive, it has helped me feel far more relaxed about food, appetite, hunger pangs etc so in some ways it was definitely worth it, but for weight loss, it hasn't helped at all.

Hope that helps :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I used a hypnotherapist years ago to help with my panic attacks. It worked 100%. So in July this year I thought I'd give hypnotherapy a go (because it worked so well for me before) in my quest to lose some lard. ;)

3 sessions done (£150 all in, plus a 'free' session in October).

I haven't lost any weight at all.

But I have noticed that I only eat when hungry and I stop when I'm full. When I'm bored I don't automatically rummage in the kitchen to scoff something. So although I haven't lost weight, I have a MUCH healthier view of food, it no longer consumes my every waking moment, I no longer obsess calories, points, fat, syns (cos I've tried them all!). I have (this week) embarked on MFP as a few of my friends have successfully lost weight using it with the view of cutting calories to around 1300 a day and upping my exercise.

Whilst expensive, it has helped me feel far more relaxed about food, appetite, hunger pangs etc so in some ways it was definitely worth it, but for weight loss, it hasn't helped at all.

Hope that helps :)
    Hmm... first post, stresses that they're human, wants everyone to get hypnotized. I'd better double bag with two layers of tin foil just in case one breaks. Shape-shifting, reptilian aliens from the illuminati have infiltrated MFP. There goes the neighborhood.
  • TracyB48
    Options
    Am I allowed to post articles here? If not, please let me know. Anyway, here is one related to the question. http://hypnotichealth.blogspot.com/2012/09/even-more-research-on-hypnosis-working.html
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ty --- i will check it out!
  • banks89202
    Options
    LOL i haven't ever heard of anything like that!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    anything is possible and the mind is a powerful thing!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I know someone who had it to stop smoking. I don't know how it works or if it's just a placebo effect but he walked out of there, threw away the cigarettes he had and never touched them again. Didn't crave them at all and maybe it worked too well as he really hates the smell of cigarette smoke now.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I got hypnotised last year to help me lose weight, and lost 13lbs in 3 weeks. I could only eat tiny portions then I felt full. I did three sessions and then had to listen to a recording for 15 mins every day. Whilst I was doing it, I felt amazing, wasn't hungry at all and the weight just fell off. But then I stopped listening to it and my portions crept up again. Defo worth trying, though you really need to have faith in it and go with the flow - I stopped listening 'cause I was kind of fighting it, like I wanted to see whether I could eat smaller portions without it. Turns out I couldn't. haha.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I had hypnosis for smoking 15 yrs ago. I smoked 30 a day and loved it, after a one off 3hr hypnotherapy session I walked out a non smoker and have never had or wanted a cigarette since.

I'd love to try hypnosis for weight loss, just haven't found the right hypnotist for me yet.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Instead of hypnosis read Allen Carr's Easyweigh to Lose Weight
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easyweigh-Lose-Weight/dp/0140263586

It's the same kind of thing, using hypnotic language and it really makes you think about what you are putting in your body, in a non lecturing way. It doesn't tell you what to do, it just gives you the information to make your own choices. I read it a few years ago the time I finished it I was already losing weight, and went on to lose more. In the UK you can pick it up in The Works for about £1.00, or they have it on Amazon. I also tried the give up smoking version which really worked for me too.
  • boji4ever
    boji4ever Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've done a Hyponsis/Meditation from Itunes - didn't help or make a difference for me.