How should I be weighing?

Options
I know the initial response is, "On a scale, dumbass." xD.

What I mean is that when I started this site, my weight was 141 *on my bathroom scale*. Since then, I've had a Wii Fit and have been weighing on that instead. The thing is, the Wii weighs me a few pounds higher than my bathroom scale (so 141 on my bathroom scale is... maybe... 145 on the Wii). I have been weighing in using the Wii's calculation because I figured it's probably more accurate.

My only issue is that if I am back to my start weight of 141 according to the bathroom scale, which I am, I'm only 145 to the Wii, which is how I've been weighing in. Let's say I get down to 138 on my bathroom scale, and I'm maybe 142 to the Wii. While I am, in fact, lower than when I first weighed on this site, because I'm weighing differently, the site does not believe I have actually lost weight, as I'm still reading higher than when I started.

So my question is - should I continue weighing in on here using the Wii's measurements, which are probably more accurate, or should I instead go by my bathroom scale's measurements (because, though they're maybe not as accurate, it will more accurately tell me how much weight I have lost). What would you do, fellow MFP user?

Edit: Yes, "pick one and stick with it" is obvious. What I'm asking is not whether I should stick with one, I'm asking which one YOU would stick with -- would you rather have a more accurate reading, or would you rather MFP count your "pounds lost" more accurately?

Replies

• dwallior3326
    Options
    Only because I want the website to be accurate, I'd go with your bathroom scale. Or go to the doctor and get an official reading and decide which one is right! I usually weigh myself at home, and then weigh myself at work (different scale) and the number is the same.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    what ive always tried to do is stay with the scale that you started with atleast. I use both gym scale and bathroom scale pretty much are about same but I go with the one that i started with.

. If in one month both scales say you have lost or gained 10 then thats all that matter meaning if your consistant.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Pick one scale and stick to it.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Right, the question is which one - the one that may weigh more accurately, or the one that will count my loss accurately.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Pick one and stick with it it doesn't matter which one you chose just pick one and use it. If you chose to use your WII just go with it, and ignore your bathroom scale or vice versa.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to 'Know' which one is right any way. Stick to ONE scale. Don't obsess about which is 'Right'
  • cashew1b
    cashew1b Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I came across the same issue. My old set of bathroom scales were exactly that. old. I would get a different number every time I looked at the differently; so, I was using my Wii board. I talked the dh into getting me a decent set of scales and they weighed me in 1.5 lbs heavier than the Wii. Since I have decided to use the scale weight, my total loss is not exactly the same as what my MFP numbers show. I still use my Wii Fit body checks to see the lovely little graph it gives me. :smile:
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    I came across the same issue. My old set of bathroom scales were exactly that. old. I would get a different number every time I looked at the differently; so, I was using my Wii board. I talked the dh into getting me a decent set of scales and they weighed me in 1.5 lbs heavier than the Wii. Since I have decided to use the scale weight, my total loss is not exactly the same as what my MFP numbers show. I still use my Wii Fit body checks to see the lovely little graph it gives me. :smile:
    Yes, I love the graph! xD. It's nice to be able to track progress. I'm still going to use the Wii Fit, I'm just wondering which weight I should be using to weigh-in on MFP.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Right, the question is which one - the one that may weigh more accurately, or the one that will count my loss accurately.
    I'd think the one which weighs more accurately would also be the one that would count your loss more accurately. If the issue is a disparity with your start weight (if I understand correctly), why not go into your settings and reset your starting weight to reflect whichever scale you decide to stick with? You can edit your past weigh-in entries.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would be the bathroom scale is more accurate. And it makes you lighter, so I'd go for it. :) Honestly, the number doesn't matter but it sure does make you feel better.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    I'd think the one which weighs more accurately would also be the one that would count your loss more accurately. If the issue is a disparity with your start weight (if I understand correctly), why not go into your settings and reset your starting weight to reflect whichever scale you decide to stick with? You can edit your past weigh-in entries.
    I'll see whether I can do that, but I've tried several times before to edit my start weight, but I've never found a way to do it. Would I have to find my very first weigh-in and edit that?

Edit: Never mind, I found it! Thank you very much! Problem solved, we can all go home now.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You can always edit your starting weight and any entries you made if you want to switch to the wii numbers.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    What makes you think the Wii is more accurate?
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i use the scale in the locker room at my gym.
  • gldnlark
    Options
    Remember to log your weight first thing in the morning after you have used the toilet... As for the scales, I'd probably estimate a number between the 2. I returned 2 scales before I found one that I felt was closest to my doctor's scales at his office. You know those get calibrated on a regular basis. I just made sure I had an early morning appointment one day - with an empty stomach - in which to help me gauge which one was closest.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a more accurate reading.

There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when because of these fluctuations.

The scale is just a trend tool. It doesn't really matter, all that matters is that the trend goes down until you like the look in the mirror, how you feel about yourself, and how your clothes fit.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I like the Wii myself, just because I can see the overall weight loss ups and downs on there. If you can, try and change your initial starting weight on MFP to see the overall pounds lost. The Wii helps monitor weight changes from water, sodium, and different foods as you can really see the day-to-day changes.

Personally my overall weight loss is off because I lost about 10-15lbs before coming to the site.. and I kind of wish it said that my overall weight loss is over 50lbs.. but oh well! :)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have an old fashioned scale I bought a few years ago, the kind with the needle. It is what I started with when I began MFP; I then bought an expensive digital EatSmart precision something or other. It is very cool, sleek - and ALWAYS weighs me anywhere from 2-5 lbs heavier than my original scale - no matter where I move it! It can be VERY depressing! So, I do use my good old scale for my weigh-ins and every morning I get on both scales. My original will give me the same weight pretty consistently, but every day that other one gives me something new, whether it be an increase in ounces or pounds. When I have days like the past few when I'm feeling excessively bloaty, mean, TOM... I skip my original because I'd be upset if it were up, so I hop on the digital as my weigh in for the day. If I can handle what it says, then I'm good. I DO weigh every morning wearing the same thing just so I can gauge my water weight, etc. I don't use it as a login. I only log my weight when my original scale is down for more than a day.
  • dkkwilson
    dkkwilson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go to the "My Home" tab and select "Check-in". Just above the "Save Changes" button, there will be an option to "Edit Previous Entries". Click on that and you can edit any of your weigh-ins, including your initial weigh-in. Just adjust them to you Wii results and you can have the site accurately calculate your weight loss while still doing what you are doing. That is what I'd do.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You can change previous weigh ins. So use the Wii scale number. And change your first few weigh ins to to 4 lbs heavier. That'll give you a nice graph, and a more accurate reading.