When listening to a song for the first time...

Options
...do you focus more on lyrics or music? What attracts you to a song more?

I'm lyrics first, all the way. A song with crappy lyrics usually won't win me over with cool music, unless it's JUST a dance song.

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Lyrics, absolutely.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    uhhhh...i'm actually legally deaf and I hate listening to a song and not understanding a thing...so I usually search the lyrics on a lyrics engine and listen to the song while reading them...so yeah...lyrics 200%
  • Peezy4President
    Peezy4President Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i listen to lyrics first, i make music so i guess im bias toward more lyrical people, it shows you took the time to perfect your song. although i have liked song with great beats, then later on liked the song for what it is.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Since I listen to K-pop, I listen for the emotion the way a song is sung. Then I look up the lyrics to understand the song.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i listen to the music first then the lyrics, if the music sucks the song will usually do nothing for me
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    i listen to the music first then the lyrics, if the music sucks the song will usually do nothing for me

Same here....there are songs where the lyrics are terrible but has a great melody to it
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Music first for me. I hardly know the lyrics to a number of songs I like. Just the chorus usually. But, really bad lyrics do take away from the appeal of a song.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I like some songs with realllllly stupid lyrics (10001110101 by Clutch comes to mind), so I guess music.
  • Nickf887
    Options
    Definitely the music ... I do know the lyrics of my favorite songs, but most of the time when I sing along I am singing to the music without really thinking about the lyrics...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I speak multiple languages. For each language its different.

English, typically its the music. I can usually not pick up the lyrics properly the first time.

Most other languages, its the lyrics and rarely its just the music
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it's also music first for me, especially if the songs are not in my mother tongue. But even if they are, I hear and react to the music first before I pay attention to the lyrics.

However, some of the songs in my mother tongue are so OUTRAGEOUSLY stupid that you can't separate music and lyrics, both are equally bad. All you can do is turn them off as quickly as possible to avoid imminent brain damage. *rolls eyes*
  • herrhitman
    Options
    Definitely music. I listen to a lot of stuff in languages I don't understand, so it takes the music to draw me in.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I do more of a brief overview than in depth to either side. I'll listen to the Chorus mainly on the lyrical side and listen for anything that stands out musically.
  • glengiles
    Options
    In most songs the music starts before the lyric so if the music can't draw me in then I've already tuned out the lyric. However, no matter how wonderful the lyrics are, if the singing sucks I'm out.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Music.
  • Peezy4President
    Peezy4President Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    as far as hiphop and r&b, i found that alot of women i talk to mostly like the Music (beat) to a song and dont care about the lyriccs. A lot of times its because they can dance to the songs if the like the beat to it. If they are listening to a song thats hits there emotion they will learn the lyrics. For example if they can relate to a song emotionally they will learn the lyrics.

As far as men tho, as far as hiphop and my friends, we listen for the lyrics, and if the song has a great beat and great lyrics thats alot of times a great song.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Lyrics without a doubt .
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I listen to the beat, the flow, how everything mixes. I try not to focus on lyrics until I can play the beat back in my head. When I first heard "Placebo-Running up that Hill"... I don't really care for the lyrics (even though I sing it anyway) in the song it makes me tap my foot. Sometimes I wish I could turn the singing off in certain songs/artists because the singing is what ruins it. I used to mess around with this program called Fruity Loops... was sooooo much fun messing with my own beats!
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    What catches my attention first is the music, but if the lyrics suck then the song is lost to me.