Friends and Pringles...

Options
Funny thing happened yesterday. I went out for a beer with a friend.

One beer became two as you can imagine.

Anyway, fully knowing I've been dieting for months we hit a store and she want's to get Pork scratings. Admittedly delicious but they're just deep fried fat.

Uh, no, I'm on a diet...

We move off to another store where she finds a huge can of cashews.

Er, no, I'm on a diet....

Finally get home with a few beers when she pulls out the tube of Pringles she's bought me as a surprise...

And you know what? I ate half the tube meaning if I don't hit the gym today I've got 700ish cals :(

Story aside, why would "friends" want to sabotage us?? Really, what's the mental dynamic going on?

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for breaking when it comes to the pringles. Those things are like crack.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Their in Tennis ball cans she thought they were diet chips...
  • biancamirella
    biancamirella Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think people react to your progress in a negative way when they can't manage the same results themselves. The sabotage isn't always conscious. I've been in the same situation plenty of times. Don't beat yourself up about it, but be weary of surrounding yourself with people that aren't supporting you the right way. You can always bring it up to her - maybe she's not aware of what she is doing.
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really want to provide some thought-provoking, heartfelt answer here... but all I can think is PRINGLES..... mmmmmm........ :sad: I want the other half of that can!!!!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    first off, i'd have cracked at the nuts and kept going through the pringles

so, kudos to holding out at least a bit

but, it seems the deal is people don't want to do their bad habits alone. misery loves company, so to speak, so there's the desire for others to join and validate their activities.

that and,eating healthy is probably not at the top of their priorities, so it's not purposefully vindictive, but just what they probably saw as a friendly gesture
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure to be honest, but i feel it too. well it's not like they sabotage but when i say i don't want to eat at fast food and go for soda and shakes. They act like i think i'm better than them or something... and i don't. when my friends go to A&W for root beer i go next door for an iced coffee, no milk, for much much less calories. then they go say something *****y to me. i think that maybe they're insecure because i'm no longer the 'fat friend' or whatever. changing challenges them to change, most people don't like that.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think part of it might be because many people think of a 'diet' as being awful, or as a punishment. So they're 'saving you' by offering you little treats now and then. Kind of how you sometimes sneak a mars bar or something naughty into the hospital for people.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Maybe she sensed you considering the choices she posed and wasn't convinced that you really didn't want anything munchy? Or maybe from past experience eating together and hanging out provides comfort and enjoyment. Can you find other activities? Btw, I'd have gone for the cashews.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    My brain stopped functioning the moment the word "pringles" came in...

MUST.RESIST.TEMPTATION... <stomach growls> :(

sorry me no help...
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    To me, that's a good friend. I really want some Pringles now. I don't have Pringles. This is a problem.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Meh. We all make our own choices.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You have to come up with something other than "I'm on a diet." She wanted you to partake in this activity of eating munchies. You were inclined to drink some beers--she figured you would be okay with eating junk food too. If you chose something to eat with her on your own (like a bag of microwave popcorn), she would not have bought the Pringles behind your back.
  • suwonfish
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I was kinda venting as I was so mad at myself (again).

Ideas seem to fall into two camps

1: Kindness

2: Subconcious undermining

I really think many folks fall into the latter group. Much longer than I've wrestled with weight I've wrestled with smoking. Many times I'd try to quit folks went out of their way to offer me smokes...

I guess there are various reasons and the lesson is as fragile as we are (or many of us) we need to be careful who we keep close while we're transforming our habits and decision making skills.

God help me they did taste good too.... I'll pay for them in the gym in about an hour ^^