40 and fabulous?

Options
hi everyone:)
I just turned 40 this year and I am the heaviest I have ever been ....239lbs. ...just typing that makes me so mad at myself. my husband doesn't even know how much I weigh and I would never tell him. I didn't have a weight problem as a child and as an adult I smoked and was mostly able to keep my weight under control. I started gaining weight after I quit smoking 5 years ago. I didn't care how much weight I gained, I needed to quit smoking. I haven't smoked since , but I have traded nicotine for over eating and not exercising at all. on sept. 1st I celebrated 5 years smoke free and decided enough was enough and I am going to get healthy again!
I am 5'6, so I need to lose at least 100 pounds to be "normal" . anyone want to help me be fabulous at 40?? ;)

Replies

• redsteve65
    redsteve65 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP and good luck on your journey. I joined MFP in January and found it a great site to log food and exercise. By following this and making sure that I stayed under my calorie goal the weight came off.

Am sure that you can be sussesful and hit 40 feeling good about yourself.

Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    I will be 43 on Saturday and I quit smoking 10 years ago. The best part is YOU QUIT SMOKING!!! You can do this. You will feel so much better. I am still struggling with 10-15 vanity pounds, but feel free to add me, I can help keep you accountable.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    HI,

Firstly, congratulations on quitting smoking. You're healthier already.

I'm about the same as you, and need to lose 100 lb. Please feel free to add me and we can do this together. Some days are better than others, and it would be great to have someone else along for the ride. We can motivate each other.

:smile:
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    wow sounds exactly like me, same here , weighed 240 last year, got myself down to 212 then started MFP..love it. Never told my husband how much I weigh either , esp since he weighs less than me ( not for long though!!) I am down 7lbs, but still have a way to go.
  • wdwgirl3
    wdwgirl3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for the support:)
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I hit 40 this year also. Started at the same weight as you (I am 5'8" though). YOU are fabulous and you will do this!! It certainly won't happen overnight, but it willl happen! Sending you a friend request.
    :smile:
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I turned 40 this July. I was at my highest on my 39th birthday at 203 but managed to get down to 158 by the 40th! Now I'm pushing through to reach my ultimate goal of 130-135. It's not easy but you can get there with patience and determination. You have to accept that YOU are in control. No more excuses and no more delays. I started small because I was so out of shape... just 30 minutes walking can make such a big difference when you haven't been doing anything! Eventually, you'll be able to do more and you'll really feel so much better about yourself. I'll be honest - I still hate exercise. I've accepted that I have to exercise because I love food. I tell myself that if I want to go out to dinner on Friday, then I have to burn a certain number of calories during the week to "earn" that little splurge. Don't deprive yourself - it's all bout finding your own balance so you truly can LIVE and maintain!!
  • pseel42
    pseel42 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP and happy birthday!

i love this site cause the support system is fabulous, i know you will get to where you want to be with support here,,

congrats on quitting smoking thats awesome.

enjoy it and feel free to add me
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being five years smoke free! I just turned 40 and am 18 pounds away from my goal. MFP has been instrumental in my success...You can DO IT!! :happy:
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm 46 now and have been over 200lbs for almost 25 years now. I have 76lbs to go to get back under that 200 mark and I will get there.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    Hi GF!!!!! well, first off.......40 is the new 30, so no biggie on that one....... second.... take it from someone whose father died young of lung cancer, your body thanks you for giving up the death sticks. NOW........ you know what you have to do for your weight and you just need to put your foot down and decide to do it. I'm one of those types who, once I put my mind to it, it's done. I decided to lose my extra pounds, and it's going to happen. Make yourself a promise that you WILL do it! And, for the record, even when I was teeny weeenie skinny bunz,,,,,,,,, I still never told my hubby how much I weighed (LOL!) us girls just do that sometimes! ;)
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I turned 41 last month. Feel free to add me. We can use all the support we can get :)