Please help before i get discouraged.

Options
Hi There, I have a few questions-
Ive been serious about weight loss for 3 weeks now, as in eating well, doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred & her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism on alternate days.
I am 164cm/ 5.3 wanting to loose 10 kg/22 lbs to get down to 60kg/ 132 lbs.
Lets face it, this journey can be tough, i am prepared for this to take a number of months, but i have seen no change in three weeks?
My question is how long before you should start to see a change in weight?

I was hoping to be halfway there within 3 month is that expecting too much?

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    without the ability to see your diary I can't offer advice... what are your calorie goals... are you close to them?

it may be that you are retaining water from the new workout :)
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? Muscle in denser than fat so you might me losing the inches instead.

Vicky
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you'll stall - it's dependent on the cals you're taking in vs the cals you're using.

If you take in too few, you'll either stall, or you'll lose weight quickly and then as soon as you start eating more it'll go straight on as fat. i.e. the yoyo effect.

If you take in too many, again you'll stall and or gain weight. However if you're exercising, this isn't always a bad thing as it could be muscle/glycogen stores.

Don't get hung up on weight in itself - It's better to be at/around your calorie goal (keep it sensible) and then if you're stalling, do a little more exercise to kick start it.

Also - weightlifting is your friend. More muscle = more resting calories burned to support that muscle.
  • Moppetage
    Options
    You've only got 10 kilo's to lose - and at your height would be only about 5kgs outside of your healthy weight range. In my experience (i'm the same height and also wanting to get back to 60kgs) those last few kilos seem harder to shift. I don't think they are as visually noticeable either.

The first week you can still be accumulating weight from the week before, so I wouldn't stress that. Has your calorie intake significantly reduced and your exercise significantly gone up from what you did before you started eating better? Without knowing what you did before it's hard to know what your expectations should be.

I find drinking lots of water, reducing salt (to help not retain water) and having metamucil (or other psylium husk fibre) when I'm hungry can help make me look better on the scales and give me a psychological boost to keep going. Psylium is good to abate hunger pangs too if you have already eaten a healthy meal but are still peckish.

It's only 3 weeks so don't stress too much. Maybe check your daily energy level settings - where you can set that your job is sedentary or active - perhaps you have it set for someone with a more active job so you're not lowering the calories enough?

And Vicky is right - if you are gaining muscle you won't see it on the scales as a loss - so best to go by measurements to see if you've toned up.
  • GorgeouSaur
    Options
    If your aiming for 1lb a week of fat loss you should be halfway there in 3 months if your watching calorie intake and exercising. Make sure you eating the right kinda foods, getting enough protein and only eating as many carbs as you need to fuel your day and keep you sane.

Get bodyfat measurements and take measurements of everything from your forearms and your neck down to your calves. That way you can track progress when the scales dont shift. It may be handy to go out for a run and try do as many push ups as you can, so you a lot of ways to monitor your progress.

Fitness is a lifelong pursuit though, not one you get and then put your feet up.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer at one point in time and she told me that it can take up to one month to see an actual physiological change in your body once you start working out. I'd suggest taking pictures every month or so and I bet you'll notice the difference. Also take measurements every month too because even if the scale isn't dropping you may be losing inches especially with the Jillian Michaels workouts.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer at one point in time and she told me that it can take up to one month to see an actual physiological change in your body once you start working out. I'd suggest taking pictures every month or so and I bet you'll notice the difference. Also take measurements every month too because even if the scale isn't dropping you may be losing inches especially with the Jillian Michaels workouts.

This ^^.

If you keep at it, take a few more weeks and THEN adjust calories up/down to see if that creates a change.
    Think about other cardio and/or gym routines?