Protein Shake

Options
So, I was thinking of substituting 2 meals a day with protein shakes and adding stuff to them to put them at around 300-400 calories. I am not sure if this is the best thing to do, so that is why I am wanting to ask for advice. I would add like peanut butter, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, etc.... to it. I work in retail and it is very hard for me to plan my meals ahead of time, and get everything cooked. Because sometimes i won't get out of work until 10-11pm, and then have to be back there around 8-9 am, so my sleep is just a little bit more important. Idk does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

Replies

• photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think that you're only supposed to drink protein shakes after a workout to help rebuild muscle.
  • nancym
    nancym Posts: 49
    Options
    Protein shakes are actually great anytime of the day. I live 2-3 protein shakes daily due to my gastric bypass. I have tried them all and the ones I like best are Believe Italian Cappuccino which is an RTD and Syntrax Matrix Perfect Chocolate. Oh and Inspire Caramel Latte. These are all yummy. The Syntrax Matrix can be found at any GNC and Vitamin World. Labrada is good. Oh yeah has great flavors and some great protein bars.
    I use Davinci and Toroni Syrups but don't use them much. I generally mix them with water as milk is not appreciated by my gastric bypass pouch...aka Tiny Tummy, Super Hero. Now I can tolerate sour cream, cream cheese, cheese (in general), ricotta, etc...but
    milk of any kind could create a sugar issue which would make Tiny Tummy very unhappy.
    If you like...you can drink a small protein drink just prior to exercise or a larger one after exercise.
    And since there are no studies proving or disproving protein absorption...I recommend 20-30g of protein at a time. Everyone's body absorbs at different rates. I know lots of people of different medical backgrounds say 25-30g max at a time, but there is still no study or medical evidence that proves that yet...according to my phd research expert friend. She does this stuff for a living so I defer to her expertise as opposed to my license dietician who only tells me what she has actually learned.
    That said... many dieticians and government agencies suggest 40-60g of protein daily but I get at least 80g daily spread out evenly over the day to avoid hypoglycemia or for those with diabetes...sugar elevations. For those without the gastric surgery, dense proteins are best but for those of us with bariatric surgery...protein shakes come in handy as we can't possibly eat enough dense protein to reach that 80g, minimum to maintain ideal health.
    I get most of my info for bariatric surgery due to my education and from www.bariatriceating.com and their forum which is manned by multi-year post-ops and lots of nurses, a few doctors and the owner who is a post-op and an officer on the council of the ASMBS. (Whew! Lots of info but proves my statements)
    Anyway...Lots of that protein powder is just plain yuk. Whey protein Isolate is the most easily absorbable and the brands I suggest are super Yummo! When I have to live with it and I am happy that I do...I want it to taste good.
    Good luck and hope you make good choices for your best health.
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I had a shake this morning before I hit the gym, it was:
    5 cubes of ice with 1/2 c water
    half of a frozen banana ( I peel and freeze all my bananas and it makes the consistency of the shake awesome with no 'naner slime)
    2T adams natty pb
    1scoop of gnc 100% whey in vanilla

it is sooooooooo yummy, and I LOVE it. I have the macro breakdown in my food log if you want them.