Should I buy a total gym??

Options
I am currently watching a Total Gym on Ebay and wondered if anyone has used one and if so if they are worth the money? (the one with Chuck Norris in the promo)

I currently don't do much in the way of strength training and can't really afford a gym membership and thought this could be good.

Thoughts and comments would be welcomed.

Cheers

Replies

• bdkato
    Options
    I bought a bowflex and it has been worth every penny. Best fitness machine on the market!
  • jtjunkie
    jtjunkie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've never used one but always thought they looked fun on the infomercials. Just search them on the internet and see what people say.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Personally I tend to be skeptical of products sold by way of infomercials, claims tend to be grossly exaggerated.If the price is low enough it may be worthwhile but have you considered buying a used bench and some free weights?
  • brvzfan13
    brvzfan13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Whoops... wrong company. :-) Really, though... DO IT! You will not be disappointed. I, too, was skeptical for years. I'd lie there at night not able to sleep and watch the silly infomercials. Finally, after a summer session of water aerobics I was finally in the right frame of mind to want to lose weight and get healthy this time. So, after realizing I had paid on a gym membership for years that I had not used I opted to just see what kind of price I could get on Amazon. I am an Amazon Prime member so I could get the TG in a couple of days. I did and I have not had one single regret. I also purchased the Cyclo Trainer which is what I use the most. I have horrible upper body strength so the TG exercises were a bit more challenging than I realized. I am working up to those and incorporating more and more each week. But, the Cyclo Trainer is used most days (minus the days I have water aerobics) and I also use hand weights while cycling so I am getting my heart rate up and getting a little strength in too.

Again, I love mine and highly recommend the Total Gym.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think the most important question to answer about any piece of fitness equipment is "Will I use it?"

If the answer is yes, then go for it. If the answer is no, then spend that money on something else fitness-related that you would use. Only you can answer that.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I personally would prefer a power rack, adjustable bench, barbell, weight plates, bumper plates, floor pad
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I have one. I got the XRT after all the upgrades and like it. It DOES show you results and it's a space saver when you aren't using it if you want to fold it up. Great for different ability levels too and has come in handy continuing physical therapy for my daughter after her knee replacement as the sliding lunge is what they do with her with a similar machine in therapy! My father in his 60s has used it and I use it - 3 totally different ability levels. It IS worth the money.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    To be honest I prefer the gym over a "home gym" for a couple of reasons:

-When you go to the gym, there is zero incentive to quit, because you are already there, at home well.....
    -You can get a gym membership for cheap depending on where you live, i paid 229 for 15 months at golds
    -Much more equipment at the gym, and you can get a much better workout

That being said, if you feel that investing in equipment is better for you, then go for it, but try to stay motivated
    because it would be a expensive waste if it ended up collecting dust doing nothing.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the Total Gym. Of all the weight/resistance training "stuff" I have, my TG sees the most use. Very easy to use, very easy to adjust, wide variety of exercise, low impact, no spotter required, easy to mix in some cardio... It's like anything else -- you have to be willing to use it, regularly -- but there are a lot of selling points that make that commitment easier.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I had a Total Gym as a hand-me-down from my buy-everything-I-see-on-TV mother-in-law. She never used it, so it was almost new (though amazingly she had managed to lose a couple of the accessories). I loved it! It really is a good workout!

Why am I not using it anymore, you ask? Well, that's my fault, not the equipment's. I cannot be counted on to work out by myself... not for any longer than a few weeks. So, for me, group exercise classes at my gym are the way to go.

BUT, if you use it, you will love it! :)
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Not worth it. I'm trying to sell my bowflex currently. I got what I could out of it, it quickly gets old.

You'll get the same workout from a dumbell set, a pull up bar, and a bar bell. Just get some plates, two short bars and one long bar and you'll be good. Otherwise, hit the gym!
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    best equipment = the one you keep using !
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Only worth it if you use it. Check areas like craigslist and you'll find lots of stuff like that "New, still in box" or "only used once". People buy that stuff all the time and it doesn't get used or it becomes a place to hang your jacket.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    It looks like a great buy, but the question I have to ask myself in making purchases like this....will I use it? is it too hard? can I use it for a clothing hanger?

With that being said, I think it is an excellent purchase and I would love love love to have one of my own...can Chuck come over and show me how to use it?
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Personally I tend to be skeptical of products sold by way of infomercials, claims tend to be grossly exaggerated.If the price is low enough it may be worthwhile but have you considered buying a used bench and some free weights?

agreed with this :) bench and free-weights :)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Dude, no - get proper equipment.

People have been using free weights on benches for years because they work.

Any workout you can get from that you can get from a flat bench, barbell, a pair of dumbells and some plates. That way you can increment your workout with the plates to keep the gains going.

No bodybuilder would go near one of these, and even if you don't want to be a bodybuilder - they are the extreme example to be following.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    even if you don't want to be a bodybuilder - they are the extreme example to be following.

consider this line stolen
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Total Gym? It looks more like Total Pilates to me (not that there's anything wrong with that, but truth in labeling!) I agree with everyone that says get a bench instead, and I especially agree with the guy suggested buying a used one from Craigslist if you really feel you must have one. I bet there's 20 of them within 50 miles of your home that are just used for drying laundry right now.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    So, a lot of bias towards free weights here... My own perspective is that free weights are quite likely "the best" way to go, but that doesn't mean there aren't other ways.

I've got a weight bench in the basement. Plates, bars, bells, the works. I love my free weights. But I don't necessarily love switching out the plates. I don't love having to use a spotter, and I don't love having a row of dumbbells or, in general, the amount of space that it all takes up (1st world problem, I know).

The Total Gym (and other systems like the Bowflex) do let you increment the weight over time, they can provide a good variety of exercise, and they can save you from needing a spotter.

Really, there's nothing the TG will do that free weights won't. It's just a matter of convenience & preference if you're looking to get some basic resistance training into your life.

So, I still say the TG is worth it, and it does get more use than my other equipment. But, like folks have said, a good set of barbells and a pull-up rack of some sort will get you close to everything the TG can offer at a fraction of the price.
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am also looking at buying the Total Gym XLS. I will have to fold it up each day and move it down the hall to the closet - over carpet and hardwood floors. For those of you who actually have the Total Gym: is this going to be an ordeal each time I have to take it out and put it away? How easy, or not, is it to fold up and move this equipment? Nothing is ever as easy as it indicates in the infomercials.